Safe-standing areas - TIME FOR ACTION

224 posts
Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Safe-standing areas - TIME FOR ACTION

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 11 Dec 2010 10:43

roadrunner
Jackson Corner Never happen waste of time.

But why not try anyway? The more that do the better. The German's found a way to reintroduce safe standing so it's not out of the question.

The Germans didn't ever go all-seater, which made it less of an issue.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 11 Dec 2010 11:33

Rev Algenon Stickleback H Terracing can be steeper than we are used to. You just need a lot of barriers. Here's a new terrace at the rebuilt Dynamo Dresden Stadium, for example.

Tremendous. If the North Stand at the Madejski were converted into that, I might consider coming to games again.

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 11 Dec 2010 17:29

...and I'd come too. Cheltenham Royals on tour :lol:

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 11 Dec 2010 20:11

Jerry St Clair
Rev Algenon Stickleback H Terracing can be steeper than we are used to. You just need a lot of barriers. Here's a new terrace at the rebuilt Dynamo Dresden Stadium, for example.

Tremendous. If the North Stand at the Madejski were converted into that, I might consider coming to games again.

I would love to see this return to English football but there is no why with our cotton wool health & safety laws they would allow terracing as above. Some pillock would suggest there's a risk of dropping your hotdog, leading to squashed and unrecoverable sausage, or something equally as important.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 12 Dec 2010 00:20

Svlad Cjelli Note to mods - this isn't yet another debate of the issues, this is a call to action, hence the new, distinct, thread.

The Bath MP, Don Foster, introduced a Bill into the House of Commons yesterday to legalise custom-designed Safe Standing areas.

If you are in favour of this, I would suggest that you e-mail your MP by using the link http://www.writetothem.com/

Ask them, as is your right as a constituent, to support the passage of the Safe Standing Bill which was introduced by Don Foster, MP yesterday - and ask them for their reasons if they won't.

I'd also love to know what replies you get - please PM me for an e-mail address, but just the fact that MPs out there know that there is widespread support for this will make a real difference to the cause.

EDIT - If anyone wants to see the wording of the bill it's here : http://bathlibdems.org.uk/news/000380/don_foster_mp_for_bath_introduces_the_safe_standing_bill.html

It aint gonna happen.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Dec 2010 02:48

Not if no one pushes for it. If you don't want to join in sod off, don't tell us we're wasting our time.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 12 Dec 2010 11:37

paultheroyal
Svlad Cjelli Note to mods - this isn't yet another debate of the issues, this is a call to action, hence the new, distinct, thread.

The Bath MP, Don Foster, introduced a Bill into the House of Commons yesterday to legalise custom-designed Safe Standing areas.

If you are in favour of this, I would suggest that you e-mail your MP by using the link http://www.writetothem.com/

Ask them, as is your right as a constituent, to support the passage of the Safe Standing Bill which was introduced by Don Foster, MP yesterday - and ask them for their reasons if they won't.

I'd also love to know what replies you get - please PM me for an e-mail address, but just the fact that MPs out there know that there is widespread support for this will make a real difference to the cause.

EDIT - If anyone wants to see the wording of the bill it's here : http://bathlibdems.org.uk/news/000380/don_foster_mp_for_bath_introduces_the_safe_standing_bill.html

It aint gonna happen.

On the contrary. It might take a decade or two more but it will be given the go-ahead over here ultimately. If it's proved to be safe, and it has been in Germany and they are seen as the test model for this, then there's little reason to say no here.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 12 Dec 2010 11:40

Svlad Cjelli
weybridgewanderer please, its not that I don'tw ant a safe standing area, but so many people have the wrong idea, this is not a eturn to the terraces.

There isno guarantee of more people and no gaurantee of cheaper tickets

as I said, if 200 people want to stand, I would consider creating a space for 150 and charge a them premium

Agree completely, it isn't a return to the terraces. The massive old terraces are dead and gone and no-one wants them back.

I'd suggest loads of people would love to have proper terracing, rather than just be allowed to stand up in seated areas.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 12 Dec 2010 14:55

Ian Royal Not if no one pushes for it. If you don't want to join in sod off, don't tell us we're wasting our time.

I will, because you are.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 12 Dec 2010 15:31

Problem is that whilst terracing and even safe standing gives you a better atmosphere it also increases the potential for hooliganism. Dresden have got a great set of fans when it comes to atmosphere but it's clear from this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1x0spR7NKc)that they also have a problem with hooliganism, and in that video you can also see terracing's role in hooligan trouble from about 5:15 onwards- it lets people move around easily and they aren't registered to a seat with their name.

That said I'd still like a return to terracing in the UK even if it did mean an uptick in hooliganism. The problem is in Germany fans are a lot more active. At St Pauli fans have anti DSF (german version of Sky) banners and chants whenever a game is moved to midweek for TV. They've even picketed their own games to get people to boycott the game because of reduced ticket allocations because of hooligan trouble for Hansa Rostock who they hate. They also go on national demonstrations of fans from clubs all over Germany organisd by the BAFF (German version of FSF). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc3j6ThFQR4

Here the FSF asks you to lobby their MP. Which is a good start, but lets face it, is an incredibly passive and pointless act, and unlikely to really change anything alone.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 12 Dec 2010 16:12

No different to students having violent protests then. :roll:

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 12 Dec 2010 16:15

I think we oldies should protest, so long as there are plenty of safe seats we can use when we get a tad tired. I would be happy to take along a garden cane and poke Chas, if it was condusive to the protest.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 12 Dec 2010 17:10

Royal Lady No different to students having violent protests then. :roll:

Bit off topic but wtf I'll bite. Those protests aren't over, and if you look at British history it's littered with mass movements that included some violence or the threat of violence and did make gains. The Civil War, the Radicals, the suffrage movement to name a few. I know you tories don't like admitting that because you've always been the ones to make the concessions. :mrgreen:

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 12 Dec 2010 19:06

St Pauli
Royal Lady No different to students having violent protests then. :roll:

Bit off topic but wtf I'll bite. Those protests aren't over, and if you look at British history it's littered with mass movements that included some violence or the threat of violence and did make gains. The Civil War, the Radicals, the suffrage movement to name a few. I know you tories don't like admitting that because you've always been the ones to make the concessions. :mrgreen:

323 - 302.

Majority of 21

Get over it m8.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

working class hero

by working class hero » 12 Dec 2010 20:30

The massive old terraces are dead and gone and no-one wants them back.

~I want them back - and I know many others who feel the same.
Frankly the safe standing group / FSF and the Supporters Trusts are not going far enough. As ver they only ask for what they deem likely to be acceptable to the owners. Let us ask for what we really want.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 12 Dec 2010 22:20

working class hero
The massive old terraces are dead and gone and no-one wants them back.

~I want them back - and I know many others who feel the same.
Frankly the safe standing group / FSF and the Supporters Trusts are not going far enough. As ver they only ask for what they deem likely to be acceptable to the owners. Let us ask for what we really want.

Many is not the majority, it wont happen. Support Bracknell if you want to stand on the terraces. Football has moved forwards, we are not going backwards.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 12 Dec 2010 22:22

PTR no one is asking for all standing stadia, just the choice.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 12 Dec 2010 22:23

The majority of supporter are in favour of safe-standing areas - all the surveys consistently support that.

And don't make the mistake of thinking that only those who want to stand themselves support safe-standing areas - a clear, clear majority of supporters overall are in favour (on average 75-80%), because even those who prefer to sit favour choice for their fellow supporters and recognise the benefits to all.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 12 Dec 2010 22:40

Svlad Cjelli The majority of supporter are in favour of safe-standing areas - all the surveys consistently support that.

And don't make the mistake of thinking that only those who want to stand themselves support safe-standing areas - a clear, clear majority of supporters overall are in favour (on average 75-80%), because even those who prefer to sit favour choice for their fellow supporters and recognise the benefits to all.

Any chance of seeing the link to a sample of survey results please.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 12 Dec 2010 22:44

paultheroyal
Svlad Cjelli The majority of supporter are in favour of safe-standing areas - all the surveys consistently support that.

Any chance of seeing the link to a sample of survey results please.

Certainly - the first one I found with a quick search (from FFC, who are independant pollsters) has a 92% - 7% split.

http://www.footballfanscensus.com/safestandingsummaryreport.pdf

224 posts