royal-biscuit-man

Re: Stewarding today in Y26

by royal-biscuit-man » 11 Jan 2011 12:38

What's going on in GU1? :shock:

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 11 Jan 2011 13:49

tomrfcurz Yeh GU1 was a nightmare weren't it? Few over-zealous stewards at the club and doesn't do anyone any favours

was a bit silly- the fans try to organise an area where we could sing, and spread some atmosphere- the club was kept informed.
no need to get all funny.

though i did hear some songs about being "gay, if you leave early" which was ill advised in the post sol cambell era

tomrfcurz
Hob Nob Regular

by tomrfcurz » 11 Jan 2011 14:13

royal-biscuit-man What's going on in GU1? :shock:

A bunch of us all went up there for the Sheff Utd (?) game a while back as the atmosphere is always awful up there and the stewards got way out of hand when the single block were standing to try and have a bit of fun. No harm at all until, as brendy says a few people started chanting "if you leave early, you're gay" which was a bit uncalled for really.

royal-biscuit-man

by royal-biscuit-man » 11 Jan 2011 15:08

Will this be happening again anytime soon?

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 11 Jan 2011 15:12

royal-biscuit-man Will this be happening again anytime soon?

No, you can leave without getting picked on.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 11 Jan 2011 16:54

tomrfcurz
royal-biscuit-man What's going on in GU1? :shock:

A bunch of us all went up there for the Sheff Utd (?) game a while back as the atmosphere is always awful up there and the stewards got way out of hand when the single block were standing to try and have a bit of fun. No harm at all until, as brendy says a few people started chanting "if you leave early, you're gay" which was a bit uncalled for really.

i may have joined in with it, tbf. but still....

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 11 Jan 2011 17:29

royal-biscuit-man Why is it cup games, this block gets the vocal, noisy, hostile atmosphere ball rolling. And normal championship games it isn't. Also, did anyonelse spot a man handing out petition forms against the stewards?

I have a theory about this. On Saturday many of the normal season ticket holders at the back of Y25 +26 were not there. They were replaced by younger (at a glance) fans who I assume bought those seats because they wanted to be in a loud part of the ground when normally they weren't. This created a different dynamic to league games, of a bunch of young fans who didn't know each other who wanted to start and join in some songs. This is different to the dynamic at league games.

League games seem to attract two sorts of fan in Y26 + 25. Young fans without season tickets who want to sing, and long time season ticket holders who tend to look down on anyone who isn't always there/doesn't have a season ticket/doesn't go to every away game. They are more reluctant to join in any chant they haven't started themselves and sometimes even take the piss out of 'lesser' fans then themselves. As a result the atmosphere in league games is often worse because Y25 + 26 can sometimes be a bit cliquey*.

*disclaimer* This obviously does not apply to every season ticket holder, and I'm well aware some will think that what I've written is a complete load of shit, but I discussed it with my brother at the weekend and he agreed wholeheartedly.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 11 Jan 2011 19:01

St Pauli
royal-biscuit-man Why is it cup games, this block gets the vocal, noisy, hostile atmosphere ball rolling. And normal championship games it isn't. Also, did anyonelse spot a man handing out petition forms against the stewards?

I have a theory about this. On Saturday many of the normal season ticket holders at the back of Y25 +26 were not there. They were replaced by younger (at a glance) fans who I assume bought those seats because they wanted to be in a loud part of the ground when normally they weren't. This created a different dynamic to league games, of a bunch of young fans who didn't know each other who wanted to start and join in some songs. This is different to the dynamic at league games.

League games seem to attract two sorts of fan in Y26 + 25. Young fans without season tickets who want to sing, and long time season ticket holders who tend to look down on anyone who isn't always there/doesn't have a season ticket/doesn't go to every away game. They are more reluctant to join in any chant they haven't started themselves and sometimes even take the piss out of 'lesser' fans then themselves. As a result the atmosphere in league games is often worse because Y25 + 26 can sometimes be a bit cliquey*.

*disclaimer* This obviously does not apply to every season ticket holder, and I'm well aware some will think that what I've written is a complete load of shit, but I discussed it with my brother at the weekend and he agreed wholeheartedly.

As a long term Y25er, I class this piece of literature in the following category:

Spot on.

And I have been guilty of exactly what you describe sometimes.

royal-biscuit-man

by royal-biscuit-man » 11 Jan 2011 22:46

Yes there was alot of youngsters. But at least they got behind the team for the majority of the ninety minutes.

Royalshow

by Royalshow » 12 Jan 2011 21:32

brendywendy

though i did hear some songs about being "gay, if you leave early" which was ill advised in the post sol cambell era

Didn't you start that?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 12 Jan 2011 21:33

damn you sir

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 12 Jan 2011 22:11

I remember something about Brendy sayinng that but thought i'd let him own up. :lol:

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 15 Jan 2011 19:53

starliaison
jonboy29red i think clive doyle and star need to arrange a meeting with the people in y26 to sort this out one and for all as im sure that the rules allow a bit of discretion but he aint alowing it

HSSC is right in that we have done just that half a dozen times and the most that came was a handful and once I was the only supporter there. However despite that we continue to try and are planning a fans forum soon that will have part about stewarding and policing and part ex-players, so you may soon get the chance to ask your questions face to face.

Now fixed for Thursday 27th January at 8pm. Stewarding and policing first then Ady and Fozzy for the rest of the evening.

jonboy29red

by jonboy29red » 22 Jan 2011 20:16

nice to see kids being left alone today becuse of a jobsworth over the top steward today- bloke at the front of y26 shouted w***er at one of the hull plays as he took a corner one of the tangos came over to have a quiet word which was all it needed, only for the grey haired chef steward to come stoming over and ask him to come with him leaving his kids looking in bewilderment the youngest was no more then 3 oldest about 5

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 22 Jan 2011 20:20

quality (and unecessary) command of the English language in front of his 3 and 5 years olds....pr1ck

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 22 Jan 2011 20:45

AthleticoSpizz quality (and unecessary) command of the English language in front of his 3 and 5 years olds....pr1ck

Agreed.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 22 Jan 2011 21:15

^ and ^^ - perhaps, however there are ways and means of stewarding and yet again it seems that our "beloved" tangos have chosen the wrong option.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict

by T.R.O.L.I. » 22 Jan 2011 21:19

In addition - another game comes and goes and yet again the tangos spoil things with their "billy big bollocks" attitude. The usual Y25 steward was doing more than fine until the tangos decided to put their oar in. One wonders why they bother employing the "yellow coats" when the tangos obviously have their own agenda...

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 22 Jan 2011 21:29

27th Jan is a fans forum with the stewards/ police liaison officer. Perhaps someone should attend this to get the frustrations about inconsistency across.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict

by T.R.O.L.I. » 22 Jan 2011 21:34

I would love to however I have prior commitments that day - quite disappointed to be fair as (I believe) this is the first time that one of these has been on a non-matchday. Hopefully some of the "usual suspects" will make it down there..

201 posts