Electronic Advertising Boards

Muguire

Electronic Advertising Boards

by Muguire » 16 Apr 2012 19:53

Just seen a recent London Irish clip on SSN and we have installed electronic advertising boards in front of the East Stand :!:

mr_number
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Electronic Advertising Boards

by mr_number » 16 Apr 2012 19:57

We've really made it now.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 16 Apr 2012 20:04

Friday's Legacy
ZacNaloen
Friday's Legacy Have we installed electronic advertising boards in front of the East Stand? Something down there was new and where the advertising is/was. Hard to tell from Row Z and haven't seen SSN highlights yet.

Nope standard signage still

Puzzled by that then. Something down there was new and it was a good 8-10 inches deep and black. The front rowers were using it to eat their burgers and chips off of... None of the other stands appeared to have it, which lead me to think we might have installed an electronic advertising board in view of the cameras. Or perhaps if we have it isn't up and running yet.

Maybe then.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 16 Apr 2012 20:19

Yep, was all covered up by the normal signage at the last home game, hence that post. But perhaps we'll see it in action next game.

Certainly puts doubt on any suggestions that the take over deal is likely to fall through. We've already spent a fair amount of cash on players, and now on stadium infrastructure, before anythings gone through.

Thinking about it, we probably won't see it this season. That advertising space (I'd have thought) will have been sold for the season.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 17 Apr 2012 02:25

They have been using them all season. Nothing to do with us.

Royal Prince

by Royal Prince » 17 Apr 2012 06:27

They've been there pretty much all season. Currently covered up by the exisiting advertising hoardings but I believe we will have them in use next season as and when advertising contracts are renewed.

As you've mentioned they have been used during the rugby and were also in use during the half marathon. Definitely a step in the right direction and could help to secure some larger advertising contracts.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 17 Apr 2012 06:29

ZacNaloen Yep, was all covered up by the normal signage at the last home game, hence that post. But perhaps we'll see it in action next game.

Certainly puts doubt on any suggestions that the take over deal is likely to fall through. We've already spent a fair amount of cash on players, and now on stadium infrastructure, before anythings gone through.

Thinking about it, we probably won't see it this season. That advertising space (I'd have thought) will have been sold for the season.

You don't seriously believe that the club buys those do you?

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 17 Apr 2012 06:45

:| Wow big news. :roll:

EPR

by EPR » 17 Apr 2012 08:35

Aren't these things distracting to players at all?

When I first thought about it I did think it would be straight forward to have the optical output from the displays angled upwards so only visible from the main camera vantage point but not on the pitch but I once saw them at pitch level and they're perfectly visible.

Especially when you see live Bet 365 odds of YOU to score next flash in front of your eyes!

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 17 Apr 2012 11:14

They're distracting to fans too.

Yet another way of making the match 'experience' worse.

Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

by Dare to Dr£am » 17 Apr 2012 11:22

Fox Talbot They're distracting to fans too.

Yet another way of making the match 'experience' worse.

:lol: @ that! If you're watching the game then you don't even notice them!! Apart from watching the players warm up, I've never noticed them at other grounds we've played at in the past.

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 17 Apr 2012 11:24

West Stand Man
ZacNaloen Yep, was all covered up by the normal signage at the last home game, hence that post. But perhaps we'll see it in action next game.

You don't seriously believe that the club buys those do you?

Many do - majority of prem league clubs own their own systems. A few outsource to companies like Sport Five, but they then take most of the inventory too.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 17 Apr 2012 11:26

Either way it costs money

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 17 Apr 2012 11:29

And actually delivers less eyeballs for a brand from a media value perspective...

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 17 Apr 2012 13:16

The electronic ads will need to be created/sold and the club have commitments to honour with existing board sponsors so it makes sense to hold this back until next season.

Warfield Royal

by Warfield Royal » 19 Apr 2012 12:27

With all the real time video processing available these days could it be possible to have blank or static boards at the stadium and for the advertising to be electronically added to the picture whilst keeping all the camera angles true and even take account of players standing in the way.

EPR

by EPR » 19 Apr 2012 18:36

Warfield Royal With all the real time video processing available these days could it be possible to have blank or static boards at the stadium and for the advertising to be electronically added to the picture whilst keeping all the camera angles true and even take account of players standing in the way.

They're trying and trying to perfect this but it isn't there yet at broadcast quality - and certainly not in HD.

Some big stadiums that hold events that are shown to different markets can host 2 separate TV productions from opposite sides - I think Wembley did last year for the CL final.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 19 Apr 2012 18:39

Are the boards going to be placed 360 around the pitch. I don't think there is sufficient run off behind the goals.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict

by ZacNaloen » 19 Apr 2012 18:54

Warfield Royal With all the real time video processing available these days could it be possible to have blank or static boards at the stadium and for the advertising to be electronically added to the picture whilst keeping all the camera angles true and even take account of players standing in the way.

It's not there yet, but can't be far off. Would actually allow for more intricate advertisement as well.

tomrfcurz
Hob Nob Regular

by tomrfcurz » 19 Apr 2012 19:47

The boards that are in place for London Irish games aren't in use at RFC games for two reasons (i asked someone at St Patricks day game):

1. They aren't high definition or can't show some sort of advertisement that firms like to use on electronic boards in football (sounds stupid but i'm told its true and the picture is awful on them on a HD channel).

2. London Irish paid for them, under ground regulations and the terms of their 'rent' i guess you'd call it, they can't stop RFC using them but Reading have chosen not to

Both of those are 100% true