Say WHAT now???

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Say WHAT now???

by Royal Lady » 17 Apr 2012 11:34

At a recent meeting between STAR and RFC on 12 April 2012:

RFC asked STAR for ideas about increasing the atmosphere as it has been said
that the Madejski Stadium is quiet and everyone would like to hear more from the
crowd.
STAR commented that the Fans Zone time at Brighton seemed effective for getting the singing going and reminded RFC that the standing rules do not help the atmosphere at all.

The crowd have been superb recently imho! Fair comment about the standing rules though!

If you still hate Futcher

Re: Say WHAT now???

by If you still hate Futcher » 17 Apr 2012 11:37

I do agree about the fanzone thing but that was mainly due to the well chosen set of tracks

Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

by Dare to Dr£am » 17 Apr 2012 11:38

So what we need is CLAPPERS... Great idea. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

The atmoshere both home and away has been good this last couple of months.

Try encouraging fans to sing, and do so in others stands!!! and lighten up on the standing at the back. Then you encourage better vocal support!!

FCKING CLAPPERS!!! Idiots - STAR and RFC!!

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 17 Apr 2012 11:38

tbh its only loud when you're sat in that section..........from the North you hardly hear a thing (bar the fcuking annoying drum)

My suggestion would be to put mics in the seats and amplify it out through the speakers.........swearing might be a problem though

Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

by Dare to Dr£am » 17 Apr 2012 11:40

TBM tbh its only loud when you're sat in that section..........from the North you hardly hear a thing (bar the fcuking annoying drum)

My suggestion would be to put mics in the seats and amplify it out through the speakers.........swearing might be a problem though

And natural bodily functions...

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 17 Apr 2012 11:41

Friday's Legacy http://tinypic.com/r/95zpzq/5

:lol:

This on a loop on a big screen for 90mins should do it.

Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

by Dare to Dr£am » 17 Apr 2012 11:42

6ft Kerplunk
Friday's Legacy http://tinypic.com/r/95zpzq/5

:lol:

This on a loop on a big screen for 90mins should do it.

Fair fuks. If all 20,000 of us celebrated like that tonight the roof would come off. lolz

LumpWarden

by LumpWarden » 17 Apr 2012 11:54

2 words;

Bill
Oddie

marcusopp

by marcusopp » 17 Apr 2012 11:54

This has reminded me of a charlton wycombe game i went to with a mate (he had a spare ticket, i'd never waste my money on either of those two).
Charton scored and a crowd cheering sound was played through the load speakers! Gash.

The only way to get a good atmos is to revert back to terracing and try ti re-create the south bank.

JS28ZoD

by JS28ZoD » 17 Apr 2012 11:55

I don't think the fact that the stadium is very open helps, I may get shot down for this but I always thought if the club covered the gaps between the top of the stands at the back and the roof that the atmosphere and more importantly the noise being made by the more vocal fans at the back of the stands would be far better retained within the stadium.

I also think that unreserved seating always used to help the atmosphere but logistically this may be quite difficult. It would be great if all people who want to stand and sing for the whole game (like me) could be grouped together in the Y25 and Y26 area with those who prefer to sit and get involved in a bit of the banter (like my dad) to sit further along towards Y19 Y20 way and then instead of being allocated a particular seat you just go and sit where you like and can get involved as and when you want

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 17 Apr 2012 11:59

Trying to "force" crowd participation is just such a rubbish idea and I take issue with the fact that the club think we've been too quiet. In the past, yes, in the last few months, NO!

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 17 Apr 2012 12:02

Sure thats not just Schards turning your hearing aid up?

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 17 Apr 2012 12:04

marcusopp The only way to get a good atmos is to revert back to terracing and try ti re-create the south bank.

For me thats half the problem. Terracing will not come back at our ground. The Southbank is history. The reason Y25 was picked as the Main Singing area is because thats the rough equivelant of where it used to be at EP.

If everyone who wanted to stand and make a noise 'sat' in the North Stand you would have a far far better atmposhere.

What we have now is a bunch of Mongers sat in an area of the ground where no one else can hear you chanting great 'supportive' songs like "your support if oxf*rd shit". The Irony. Yet when the club comes up with something to make an atmoshere, it gets slagged off. But what have the fans done themselves to improve it in the 14 years since we moved? Sod All. (I dont count CLOLappers in that, but the Scarves thing looked pretty good to me against Leeds)

if you want to see how to create a good atmosphere at an all seater ground, take a look around grounds in Europe. Not 15 years into the past.

teignmouth hoops

by teignmouth hoops » 17 Apr 2012 12:10

Half the problem is alot of people do not want to sing or enthuse, on Friday night at Soton every body stood and sang, it just doesn't happen like that at home and you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him sing

Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

by Dare to Dr£am » 17 Apr 2012 12:11

teignmouth hoops Half the problem is alot of people do not want to sing or enthuse, on Friday night at Soton every body stood and sang, it just doesn't happen like that at home and you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him sing

Hopefully many of them took up the option of cheap ST's and bought them in Y25/26 then. The rest of the ground is a morgue.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 17 Apr 2012 12:12

JS28ZoD I don't think the fact that the stadium is very open helps, I may get shot down for this but I always thought if the club covered the gaps between the top of the stands at the back and the roof that the atmosphere and more importantly the noise being made by the more vocal fans at the back of the stands would be far better retained within the stadium.

As far as I'm aware, those gaps serve a fairly critical structural purpose in allowing air circulation around the stadium and preventing damage to the roof in very high winds.

SpaghettiHoop

by SpaghettiHoop » 17 Apr 2012 12:17

Does it really matter if the roof blows off every now and then?

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 17 Apr 2012 12:17

SpaghettiHoop Does it really matter if the roof blows off every now and then?

It will blow off regardless tonight when 22,000 people start using their clappers.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 17 Apr 2012 12:26

Tony Le Mesmer
SpaghettiHoop Does it really matter if the roof blows off every now and then?

It will blow off regardless tonight when 52 people start using their clappers in the North Stand.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 17 Apr 2012 12:30

Royal Lady Trying to "force" crowd participation is just such a rubbish idea and I take issue with the fact that the club think we've been too quiet. In the past, yes, in the last few months, NO!

Absolutely agree with the first part of that RL. Leave the fans alone to create an atmosphere and just stop over-policing the areas that do try to make a bit of noise.

In terms of making noise at home. We're pretty quiet and probably always will be apart from on the big occassions. We've made a bit more noise of late because the games have been more interesting, although it was quite obvious that the Leeds following were louder than we were (so if they think it's an issue perhaps the club could look not cashing in on big followings and selling only half the South Stand).