New Website?

255 posts
Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

RFC Website

by Elm Park Kid » 06 Feb 2013 15:30

Hi - long time browsers, first time poster.

Does anyone else agree that the club website is absolute pants? When they changed it last year I thought to myself "look, no one likes new websites when they launch. Give it a few months and you'll get used to it". But I still think it's a complete mess and takes far too long to load.

On top of that it has basically become one long advert for RFC Player and, even worse, contains betting adverts as news!

Sorry to start my posting history off with a moan but I thought it was warranted.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

Re: RFC Website

by bobby1413 » 06 Feb 2013 15:34

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 06 Feb 2013 15:42

bobby1413 http://hobnob.royals.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=113281&p=3292468&hilit=Website#p3292468

Ah, rookie mistake. I did skip back a few pages looking for a thread but should have searched.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 06 Feb 2013 16:48

I really don't go there any more. I use a laptop and find it infuriating that you can't scroll with the arrow keys.

BKRoyale

by BKRoyale » 07 Feb 2013 09:22

PieEater I really don't go there any more. I use a laptop and find it infuriating that you can't scroll with the arrow keys.

+1 originally wondered if this was just me being impatient and it hadn't fully loaded, but it really is infuriating....and having to click on "read more" or whatever it is at the bottom of the article for it then to add about 2 more lines...why not just have the whole article in the first place??!!

Croydon Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Croydon Royal » 07 Feb 2013 09:52

Completely agree. Like many I thought my initial dislike for it was just down to a mixture of teething problems and not liking change, but 6 months on and you can see that it really is dire. Impossible to navigate, dodgy content and impossible to load quickly. We were discussing the forthcoming fixtures the other day and a friend went to check them on the RFC site - in the time he was loading it and negotiating through banners/pop-ups etc I'd managed to get my phone out, log on to HobNob and check the fixtures there.

With a new website there's a very fine line between being innovative/accepting the need for advertising/pushing for additional revenue and just annoying the user, and the official site has got it so unbelievably wrong.

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 07 Feb 2013 12:36

Am i using a different website to everyone else. It took me about 10 seconds to get the fixture list including typing the url.

It just looks like your typical CMS and i'd say it's about average as football sites go. Can someone post up a good example of
a FC website. It could do with less adverts on it and it wouldn't take much to sort the boxes below the fold on homepage

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 07 Feb 2013 14:24

creative_username_1 Can someone post up a good example of
a FC website.

http://web.archive.org/web/201204271127 ... /page/Home 8)

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

Re: New Website?

by creative_username_1 » 08 Feb 2013 12:27

I actually think Microsoft's current website looks really good. Love the flat look with clean lines.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/default.aspx

Yahoops

by Yahoops » 09 Feb 2013 11:15

Unless you really have to go there it's best avoided.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 10 Feb 2013 15:12

creative_username_1 Am i using a different website to everyone else. It took me about 10 seconds to get the fixture list including typing the url.

It just looks like your typical CMS and i'd say it's about average as football sites go. Can someone post up a good example of
a FC website. It could do with less adverts on it and it wouldn't take much to sort the boxes below the fold on homepage

Man City's is excellent IMO, but that's what you get with a bespoke site, rather than the off the shelf, one size fits all that Reading (and most of the FL) signed up to years ago.

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 11 Feb 2013 22:25

Not a huge difference but it is a lot cleaner.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 08 Mar 2013 01:56

They've picked a very strange background picture for the player profile page. Ledge is getting a clear handful of McAnuff...

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/team/player-profile/index.aspx?playerid=473764&tcmuri=200575

Matt de K

by Matt de K » 08 Mar 2013 13:41

Does everyone get the:
"We've rebranded our website to provide you with a range of new and exclusive features. So that you're able to enjoy the exciting new site, we need to put cookies on your computer. If you want to know more about what the cookies will be used for see our cookie & privacy notice. By entering the site you accept that we will put cookies on your computer." every time you open the OS?? It pisses me off. Yes I know about this - I have to look at it every time I open the fricking page :roll:

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 08 Mar 2013 13:45

Matt de K Does everyone get the:
"We've rebranded our website to provide you with a range of new and exclusive features. So that you're able to enjoy the exciting new site, we need to put cookies on your computer. If you want to know more about what the cookies will be used for see our cookie & privacy notice. By entering the site you accept that we will put cookies on your computer." every time you open the OS?? It pisses me off. Yes I know about this - I have to look at it every time I open the fricking page :roll:

It's a European legal requirement - all websites now have to notify users that cookies are used to record data about them .

http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_organisations/privacy_and_electronic_communications/the_guide/cookies.aspx

Matt de K

by Matt de K » 08 Mar 2013 13:57

how come RFC is the ONLY website that does this every time i visit then?!?

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 08 Mar 2013 14:00

Matt de K how come RFC is the ONLY website that does this every time i visit then?!?

No idea - I see it on just about every commercial website.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 08 Mar 2013 14:36

It only did it for me once on the the Reading FC website.

However, the site doesn't work for me in the office. I have to hit stop whilst the page is still loading and hope that it's loading a bit where the information I want to see is visible, otherwise I just get a black screen.

Divvy

by Divvy » 08 Mar 2013 17:10

Matt de K Does everyone get the:

My settings don't allow any cookies. I've never had that message on the OS. Other websites I have, but I always tick No or X and seem able to carry on.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 15 Jun 2013 17:01

Have visited the RFC website for the first time in a few months and truely forgot how terrible it was.

I went to readingfc.co.uk and was presented with a huge message saying the fixture list is out on 19th June, and a button was there saying "Continue to site".

Once I clicked this I was brought to a splash screen advertising some RFC products I think, and another button saying "Continue".

On the third page I was presented with the website. Well, a big bloody picture of Anton, covering the visible portion of the screen, and scrolling down to the text was a mission as the whole computer had to load a million and one things, just to show a few news articles.

It's truely shiat. I know it's been said before but it's one of the worst websites I've used in recent times.

255 posts