Where should away fans be seated?

Mr Irascible

Where should away fans be seated?

by Mr Irascible » 04 Aug 2013 11:29

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23346622

I think we should hide them away. It is good for the atmosphere but there is something to be said for not having them fill an end...

One8Seven1

Re: Where should away fans be seated?

by One8Seven1 » 04 Aug 2013 11:58

In the past when we gave them the whole South Stand, they would make noise that undoubtedly gave their teams an edge. As an away fan you are ALL up for it, and you pretty much all sing. I would rather we only give away half the stand and keep their noise to a minimum. I know the club want money, but they also want success, so give the oppo as little advantage as possible will ultimately bring in more money if we then secure promotion..

Leeds coming up soon and they will take the 4000 if we allow them too, and they will be noisy! Hopefully we'll have a big home crowd any way and they wont get the option of additional numbers.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 04 Aug 2013 12:08

The only alternative at the Mad Stad would be to give away fans a portion of the East Stand which I don't think would be practical or desirable.

In terms of making the away fans most anonymous, a corner or an upper tier is the best bet but our ground isn't configured to accomodate this.

One8Seven1

by One8Seven1 » 04 Aug 2013 12:26

Schards#2 The only alternative at the Mad Stad would be to give away fans a portion of the East Stand which I don't think would be practical or desirable.

In terms of making the away fans most anonymous, a corner or an upper tier is the best bet but our ground isn't configured to accomodate this.

They're in the best place in terms of security and atmosphere with the home fans, but we should keep the numbers down to the one half of the south stand and not a seat more, otherwise as said, we give them an instant advantage, and it does make a difference. Otherwise I think we have the perfect set-up.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 04 Aug 2013 13:12

One8Seven1
Schards#2 The only alternative at the Mad Stad would be to give away fans a portion of the East Stand which I don't think would be practical or desirable.

They're in the best place in terms of security and atmosphere with the home fans, but we should keep the numbers down to the one half of the south stand and not a seat more, otherwise as said, we give them an instant advantage, and it does make a difference. Otherwise I think we have the perfect set-up.

We get £20 or more for each one sold - if we can't sell the tickets to our own fans why should we turn money away for a notional "advantage"?

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 04 Aug 2013 13:27

We should put them in Y19 and Y20, it would make a change to hear something from there.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular

by Alexander Litvinenko » 04 Aug 2013 13:30

In the original plans for the ground in 1996, the away fans were going to be located in half of the North stand.

then teh police had their say and pointed out that in terms of segregation and getting away coaches in and out as easily as possible they should be in the corner nearest Hurst Way, and so the ends were "flipped round" in the final build.

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 04 Aug 2013 20:53

Can we not put them where the Reading fans currently sit in the South Stand (when we only allocate half the stand). Then we could maybe increase the noise with them adding to the volume from Y24-Y26..

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 04 Aug 2013 20:59

The Rouge Can we not put them where the Reading fans currently sit in the South Stand (when we only allocate half the stand). Then we could maybe increase the noise with them adding to the volume from Y24-Y26..

Wasn't that how it used to be?

I remember the first game when the fans were moved to where they are now. The difference in atmosphere was massive.

I remember Pompey two seasons ago too when they were seated in the south, nearest the North Stand - poor atmosphere compared to if they are right next to Y26.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 05 Aug 2013 07:31

Move the away fans to the North / East Corner so that we do not have to walk round the ground from the East Stand at the end of games.

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 05 Aug 2013 14:07

Cram them under the scoreboard and get rid of the ambulance entrance thing and turn it into a concourse. They can then have Y26-R27, and then when you need to give a little more, just take more of the South Stand.

That way, there aren't away fans behind the goal and when there's less of them, they can be shoved in the corner.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular

by Alexander Litvinenko » 05 Aug 2013 14:11

bobby1413
The Rouge Can we not put them where the Reading fans currently sit in the South Stand (when we only allocate half the stand). Then we could maybe increase the noise with them adding to the volume from Y24-Y26..

I remember the first game when the fans were moved to where they are now. The difference in atmosphere was massive.

I remember Pompey two seasons ago too when they were seated in the south, nearest the North Stand - poor atmosphere compared to if they are right next to Y26.

Yep - those in charge were worried about the flashpoint under the scoreboard where 12-year-olds congregate to make gestures at each other, so they tried it out with them in the other side on the premise that those in the W & UW wouldn't be so lary.

Not sure whether the experiment was a success, but that "half" is slightly smaller, so there are commercial advantages in selling the West "half" so that might be why they reverted.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 05 Aug 2013 14:38

Put them in the upper west, that should keep them quiet, it works for our fans

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 05 Aug 2013 14:52

Alexander Litvinenko
bobby1413

Yep - those in charge were worried about the flashpoint under the scoreboard where 12-year-olds congregate to make gestures at each other, so they tried it out with them in the other side on the premise that those in the W & UW wouldn't be so lary.

Not sure whether the experiment was a success, but that "half" is slightly smaller, so there are commercial advantages in selling the West "half" so that might be why they reverted.

The reason they were on the other side was because we couldn't trust Pompey to give us the ticket money if we sold them in the normal way so a special arrangement was made to put them on the west side with tickets as if sold to home fans so we could get the money instead of having them go bust again with our money for tickets sold at their ticket office if all that makes sense and if it doesn't sorry but I can't be arsed to rewrite it.

parky
Hob Nob Regular

by parky » 05 Aug 2013 15:08

Winchester Royal Cram them under the scoreboard and get rid of the ambulance entrance thing and turn it into a concourse. They can then have Y26-R27, and then when you need to give a little more, just take more of the South Stand.

That way, there aren't away fans behind the goal and when there's less of them, they can be shoved in the corner.

^ This.

I'm sure I saw this advocated on this board before. This is the where the away fans are at Cardiff's new ground.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 05 Aug 2013 22:35

parky
Winchester Royal Cram them under the scoreboard and get rid of the ambulance entrance thing and turn it into a concourse. They can then have Y26-R27, and then when you need to give a little more, just take more of the South Stand.

^ This.

I'm sure I saw this advocated on this board before. This is the where the away fans are at Cardiff's new ground.

Yeah, screw the oxf*rd ambulances :roll:

Honestly i think they're fine where they are. The problem is that there's no Reading noise on the other side of the south. Push those as season ticket seats and give the day trippers half of the North Stand.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 05 Aug 2013 22:41

Royal Ginger
parky

^ This.

Yeah, screw the oxf*rd ambulances :roll:

Honestly i think they're fine where they are. The problem is that there's no Reading noise on the other side of the south. Push those as season ticket seats and give the day trippers half of the North Stand.

There are season ticket holders in the North, West and Upper West - those areas are still pretty quiet. So pushing the South as season tickets may not work.

However, saying that, I could imagine that fans sat right next to the away fans week in week out would produce more noise.

They should make the whole South Stand a terrace area. :?

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 05 Aug 2013 22:46

It's probably a bit intimidating for the young families taking the little ones for their first football match sat right next to the Away section in the south stand too. Not so bad this year because there were seats available nearly everywhere (perhaps that's why the south was so empty), but last year they had no choice.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 05 Aug 2013 22:50

The away fans are in the best place in terns of banter between home and away. It always makes me laugh when they sell the right hand side of the south stand and they try and wind up the west stand :lol:

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 05 Aug 2013 22:59

SLAMMED The away fans are in the best place in terns of banter between home and away. It always makes me laugh when they sell the right hand side of the south stand and they try and wind up the west stand :lol:

I feel sorry for the away fans in the South Stand closest to the west. They do their best to give all the hand signals, get their bellies out, chanting at them, and they get nothing but people doing this at them: :shock: :( :|