London Irish Takeover

Will95
Hob Nob Regular

Re: London Irish Takeover

by Will95 » 14 Dec 2013 01:02

I'd go watch a Reading rugby game, I would never see a Irish game. Rugby club is dull though, much prefer international, despite so few good countries.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Dec 2013 08:36

tmesis
Will95 Can't wait, I hate the fact Irish don't come from around here (different county never mind town!) and have prevented the growth of an actual Reading rugby team.

I'm not sure they have. In fact they've probably encouraged far more people to get interested in rugby than before.

Unfortunately Reading rugby club are so far down the league system that few are going to be tempted to watch them without them rising far higher.

Even when Reading were much higher, old National Div 3 level and an excellent side to watch they did well to get 500 through the gate. I know a lot of people at the club and all are supportive of LI being here. In fact at most LI games that don't clash with local games, which is most you'll see club ties or blazers from all the local clubs there.

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 15 Dec 2013 01:50

Will95 I'd go watch a Reading rugby game, I would never see a Irish game. Rugby club is dull though, much prefer international, despite so few good countries.

Why would you never go see an Irish game? They're your local team. Does a name really piss you off that much?

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 16 Dec 2013 20:58

St. Brynjar
Will95 I'd go watch a Reading rugby game, I would never see a Irish game. Rugby club is dull though, much prefer international, despite so few good countries.

Why would you never go see an Irish game? They're your local team. Does a name really piss you off that much?

I'm not sure they're 'our local ' team really though.
They may be called London irish, but at the moment they're neither. I wouldn't go and see them either.

Will95
Hob Nob Regular

by Will95 » 16 Dec 2013 22:47

St. Brynjar

No, but I couldn't support a side that wasn't local to me (which, dress it up how you will, London Irish aren't the local side, they just play here). Sport is about pride in and supporting your area to me, and to do that I'd watch Reading, not London Irish.

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 17 Dec 2013 10:05

Do London Irish sing pro-IRA songs and things about the famine?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 17 Dec 2013 10:32

You have a bizarre attitude to sport !

You'd watch mid level club rugby just because the team involved happened to be named after a local town but you wouldn't watch top class club rugby in your town because the club has the wrong name. Presumably you would never watch Barcelona, or Bayern Munich, and do you only watch England international rugby or would you lower yourself to watch the All Blacks (the best sporting team in any sport, ever)
Irish are a bit hit and miss in terms of performances and results. They have plenty of really exciting three quarters, but the pack is often not competitive so the backs don;t get enough good possession. On their day they can be good and in James O'conner and Marlon Yarde they have two very, very good players.

I'm over egging a bit I know, each to their own but I find it bizarre that anyone with an interest in sport can point blank refuse to watch a team just because they don;t like their name !

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 17 Dec 2013 10:48

Well you would say that because your username is "Nameless"

Some people attach great significance to names, but I take your point that a rose by another name smells just as sweet.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 17 Dec 2013 14:10

bobby1413
Cureton's Volley Maybe if they cut the prices from a ridiculous £28 for a Standard Ticket (£32 on Matchday) they would get more takers :shock:

Bloody hell - £28?!!!

When I've briefly considered going I always thought it would be a good idea as it would be about £10 a ticket or something. That's a lot more than I thought.

I thought it was £20! :shock:

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 17 Dec 2013 21:08

Gordons Cumming
bobby1413
Cureton's Volley Maybe if they cut the prices from a ridiculous £28 for a Standard Ticket (£32 on Matchday) they would get more takers :shock:

Bloody hell - £28?!!!

When I've briefly considered going I always thought it would be a good idea as it would be about £10 a ticket or something. That's a lot more than I thought.

I thought it was £20! :shock:

It is £20 if you pay in advance, otherwise it's £26
http://www.london-irish.com/MatchdayTicketPricing

Rugby is becoming hugely expensive though. Many clubs at the top now charge £50 or so for a fair number of their seats.

Will95
Hob Nob Regular

by Will95 » 17 Dec 2013 22:04

Nameless

You have a bizarre attitude to sport !

You'd watch mid level club rugby just because the team involved happened to be named after a local town but you wouldn't watch top class club rugby in your town because the club has the wrong name. Presumably you would never watch Barcelona, or Bayern Munich, and do you only watch England international rugby or would you lower yourself to watch the All Blacks (the best sporting team in any sport, ever)
Irish are a bit hit and miss in terms of performances and results. They have plenty of really exciting three quarters, but the pack is often not competitive so the backs don;t get enough good possession. On their day they can be good and in James O'conner and Marlon Yarde they have two very, very good players.

I'm over egging a bit I know, each to their own but I find it bizarre that anyone with an interest in sport can point blank refuse to watch a team just because they don;t like their name !

My family contains New Zealanders so All Blacks are my third side (plus, oxf*rd the Aussies) and my mums family is all Welsh, so I'll watch England, Wales and New Zealand, but not anyone else. I don't watch other teams football games really, world cup finals, Champions League final, FA cup final etc. aside. I think I really have presented myself wrong though tbh. I'd watch them, yes, as a neutral, but I would NEVER support them.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Dec 2013 23:39

I just wouldn't pay to watch Rugby.

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 18 Dec 2013 03:54

Will95
St. Brynjar

No, but I couldn't support a side that wasn't local to me (which, dress it up how you will, London Irish aren't the local side, they just play here). Sport is about pride in and supporting your area to me, and to do that I'd watch Reading, not London Irish.

Like it or loath it, Irish are local to you. I'm not going to argue with you but I find it very odd you'd let something this trivial prevent you from at least casually following a team.

Ian Royal I just wouldn't pay to watch Rugby.

/thread

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 18 Dec 2013 13:05

Stuka Do London Irish sing pro-IRA songs and things about the famine?

Yes, but like Liverpool fans they probably don't realise what they're singing.

Optimist

by Optimist » 18 Dec 2013 14:10

They play "Fields of Athenry" before and after every game, which is a famine-related song, though I expect the majority of fans don't realise this and just see it as the song that all Ireland sports teams sing.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 20 Dec 2013 13:00

M Brook

I'm guessing you don't know the words that the Liverpool fans sing either.....

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 20 Dec 2013 15:15

Nameless
M Brook

I'm guessing you don't know the words that the Liverpool fans sing either.....

All round the Fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and he could play)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
Of the glory round the Fields of Anfield Road

FRIDDY109

by FRIDDY109 » 20 Dec 2013 19:18

bobby1413

Bloody hell - £28?!!!

Uni students can get tickets for like £15 i think it is. I got 4 tickets for £40

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 20 Dec 2013 19:50

Optimist

They play "Fields of Athenry" before and after every game, which is a famine-related song, though I expect the majority of fans don't realise this and just see it as the song that all Ireland sports teams sing.
Barely a "rebel song" surely?

I have drank in the bars of East Belfast that were within spitting distance of Gawn Street, the once HQ of the UDA (Glentoran Cougars, H&W Welders Bar etc etc) which were most definately Protestant back in the 1980's, they were quite happy to sing along to F of A when the resident "showbands" played it....normally at least twice a night.

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 21 Dec 2013 13:12

Don't the Loyalists sing a different version? Fields of Ballynafeigh