NOT BOTHERED
19%

Total votes: 91
SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

POLL: Goal Music

by SPARTA » 02 Sep 2014 13:32

Coventry City have today said they wont use goal music at their next game because... wait for it... they want to hear the fans celebrate! What a fantastic idea... Fans spontaneous celebrations not cut short by irritating goal music.

Reading FC's response to this was to point fans in the direction of a recent fans survey where 68% of fans wanted the music. But that's still 1 in 3 not wanting it, which is significant enough you would hope - but not in this clubs opinion.

Joey Davey ‏@joedavey1996 17m
.@ReadingFC take note ! Most fans don't want goal music #readingfc pic.twitter.com/EUG8ZFfNKM

Reading FC ‏@ReadingFC 10m
@joedavey1996 Hi Joey! We do value your feedback! In our customer survey (P5), 68% voted in favour of goal music >> http://rdng.co/fanssurvey14

Not that they care what the proportion of fans on here think, but are you in favour or against the goal music?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: POLL: Goal Music

by Ian Royal » 02 Sep 2014 13:38

Sorry, you want the club to go with the minority view just because it's a view that you (and I) agree with? 32% (assuming it was yes / no) should overrule 68%?

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 02 Sep 2014 13:41

We are dealing with a football club interested solely in attracting women (& subsequently, their offspring/future offspring) to watch football. Remember that.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 02 Sep 2014 14:29

SPARTA is obviously looking for something to do now that the transfer window is shut. Don't worry sparts, as RFC would say, the loan window opens in a week.
Last edited by sandman on 02 Sep 2014 14:40, edited 1 time in total.

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 02 Sep 2014 14:37

The next vote needs hijacking.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular

by SPARTA » 02 Sep 2014 14:49

Ian Royal Sorry, you want the club to go with the minority view just because it's a view that you (and I) agree with? 32% (assuming it was yes / no) should overrule 68%?

Not at all, but 1 in 3 is rather significant and I wouldn't choose to ignore that. Also the fans survey was only completed by a small proportion of the fan base, so it's not a reflective figure across the club. If the club did a vote for goal music only, rather than throw it in to a general annual survey, and include votes from Get Reading (not everyone uses the official site or worse, Facebook & Twitter), I expect the results to be very different; certainly closer. The annual survey was only completed by a few hundred fans according to someone who helped put it together.
Last edited by SPARTA on 02 Sep 2014 14:53, edited 1 time in total.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 02 Sep 2014 14:53

1 in 3 is significant, but where is the middle ground? There's no negotiation possible, you either have the music or you don't and seeing as the majority voted in favour then the only logical option is to keep the goal music.

Personally, I don't mind it - I think it can help, but it really depends on what piece of music you choose and whether the fans use it or not.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular

by SPARTA » 02 Sep 2014 15:01

I'm curious as to how it helps?

You either celebrate spontaneously for about 10 seconds, which is what hooked me as a kid at Elm Park; or you burst into celebration, only to be interrupted by music a few seconds later, killing that moment, and then leaving many of us sitting back down early or cutting short the celebration and then looking at one another and saying, that was a good goal, and sit back down while grown adults and their kids shout 'oi oi oi'.

It's like reaching orgasm, only for your partner stop you before you finish, pull away, and shout oi oi oi at you.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 02 Sep 2014 15:03

Nottingham Forest fans seemed to enjoy Chelsea Dagger.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 02 Sep 2014 16:11

SPARTA Coventry City have today said they wont use goal music at their next game because... wait for it... they want to hear the fans celebrate! What a fantastic idea... Fans spontaneous celebrations not cut short by irritating goal music.

Reading FC's response to this was to point fans in the direction of a recent fans survey where 68% of fans wanted the music. But that's still 1 in 3 not wanting it, which is significant enough you would hope - but not in this clubs opinion.

Joey Davey ‏@joedavey1996 17m
.@ReadingFC take note ! Most fans don't want goal music #readingfc pic.twitter.com/EUG8ZFfNKM

Reading FC ‏@ReadingFC 10m
@joedavey1996 Hi Joey! We do value your feedback! In our customer survey (P5), 68% voted in favour of goal music >> http://rdng.co/fanssurvey14

Not that they care what the proportion of fans on here think, but are you in favour or against the goal music?

Let it go for gods sake. No one cares anymore. 2/3 of country don't want Cameron but we have got him!

Look around you when goal is scored, the MAJORITY are waving their arms around just about in time with the music like a loom.

HNA IS 0.1% of the fan base!

You are speaking to people on here with multiple accounts!

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 02 Sep 2014 16:34

Wait.

Are we seriously trying to argue that a 68/32 split in favour of goal music is 'significant' in terms of getting the club to abolish goal music :?: :shock:

bloody Volvo driver

by bloody Volvo driver » 02 Sep 2014 16:47

If the Genie of the lamp allowed me one "plausible" wish to do with Reading FC, it would be abolition of goal music, absolutely rancid!

Unfortunately the 68/32 vote means we are stuck with it for the foreseeable. :x

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 02 Sep 2014 16:50

Ssomeone on twitter tells the club that "most" fans don't want goal music and this leads the club to respond with a fact that "most" fans are in favour of it and it turn out @joey was wrong? Not sure what the problem is really. Of course if you come up with the argument that not all fans would have been polled I'd guess that the best way to judge would be when we score* see how the crowd reacts, my guess is a majority do a stupid dance.

*yes, well done whoever thought of something funny to say here

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 02 Sep 2014 17:20

I honestly don't understand why it is such a big deal to some fans. Many clubs have it, many don't, it's not embarrassing, it doesn't kill the atmosphere but it doesn't generate atmosphere either. Really, I can't understand why people get so hysterical over it - especially on twitter.

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 02 Sep 2014 17:23

SPARTA I'm curious as to how it helps?

You either celebrate spontaneously for about 10 seconds, which is what hooked me as a kid at Elm Park; or you burst into celebration, only to be interrupted by music a few seconds later, killing that moment, and then leaving many of us sitting back down early or cutting short the celebration and then looking at one another and saying, that was a good goal, and sit back down while grown adults and their kids shout 'oi oi oi'.

It's like reaching orgasm, only for your partner stop you before you finish, pull away, and shout oi oi oi at you.

If it affects you that much, don't join in? I never join in, by the time the music starts most of the ground is no longer cheering and are just clapping anyway. I just continue clapping, it's not difficult

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 02 Sep 2014 17:25

urz13 I honestly don't understand why it is such a big deal to some fans. Many clubs have it, many don't, it's not embarrassing, it doesn't kill the atmosphere but it doesn't generate atmosphere either. Really, I can't understand why people get so hysterical over it - especially on twitter.

It's often said that because goals are relatively scarce in football it makes it a more exciting game than say basketball or even rugby where there's a constant trickle of points over the game.

As a result, the excitement, the rush from seeing your team score is a real highlight. I can't speak for others urz13, but I think that moment is really important to many fans, some of whom feel being part of a spontaneous roar and subsequent chant is one of the true joys of being a football fan. Presumably this subset of fans don't get the same buzz from sitting back down and listening to piped pop music.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 02 Sep 2014 17:27

urz13
SPARTA I'm curious as to how it helps?

If it affects you that much, don't join in? I never join in

Struggling with the juxtaposition of username and post here, I had you down as a

type of fan.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 02 Sep 2014 22:26

This thread is stoopid

Yellowcoat

by Yellowcoat » 03 Sep 2014 11:02

Do you really expect RFC to take notice of 30 odd people on here compared to nearly 1900 who bothered to complete a survey?

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 03 Sep 2014 11:08

I'm amazed people still care about goal music. About as interesting as the new club anthem vote.