Sweet Caroline - Blakey!

leon
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Sweet Caroline - Blakey!

by leon » 11 Mar 2015 09:46

Terry and June is the only RFC song.

All the rest are imposters - even that massively dirgey one by Tool that Marcus made the bloke play before a game once.

UpThePrem

by UpThePrem » 11 Mar 2015 09:54

Whatevs Good chorus but the rest will largely be mumbled

Time to get the clappers out with the words printed on. Ready for Monday night :lol: :lol:

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 11 Mar 2015 10:23

leon Terry and June is the only RFC song.

All the rest are imposters - even that massively dirgey one by Tool that Marcus made the bloke play before a game once.

penguinhi5.gif

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 11 Mar 2015 11:00

"I'm a believer" - Monkees

That's what I would sing.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 11 Mar 2015 13:06

West Stand Man
biff my arse puckered with how much it made me cringe tonight. awful.

You aren't really in for them whole football experience are you. Songs like this have formed part of that for decades.

Songs like this have formed part of Biff puckering his @rse for decades :?:

THE HUMAN BISCUIT

by THE HUMAN BISCUIT » 11 Mar 2015 18:58

I'm a Believer would definitely be a great choice, but Wigan have already nabbed it. Amazing that Neil Diamond should have written both songs. Sweet Caroline is slightly naffer, true, but it does have a rousing chorus that's fun to belt out.

The only downside is that my first wife was called Caroline, and that didn't end too well. So I'm not sure about being loudly reminded of her every Saturday afternoon. On the other hand, there were some things we did on Saturday afternoons that are definitely worth remembering. Oh yes. What the hell.

Sweet Caroline...da da da...

Yeah. I could do that.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Mar 2015 22:03

This is ridiculous. The club had a vote for fans for what they wanted and Sweet Caroline came third of three iirc. I love Little, but that song was always for the squad, not for the fans. It was appallingly used on Tuesday, starting and stopping all the time, with mostly poor take up from the fans that extended as far as 'da da dur'.

I was standing in total bemusement at the ineptitude of the attempt, so oxf*rd knows what Brighton thought. I'm not normally fussed what other fans think, but that was embarrassingly bad.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 11 Mar 2015 23:02

Ian Royal This is ridiculous. The club had a vote for fans for what they wanted and Sweet Caroline came third of three iirc. I love Little, but that song was always for the squad, not for the fans. It was appallingly used on Tuesday, starting and stopping all the time, with mostly poor take up from the fans that extended as far as 'da da dur'.

I was standing in the kitchen in total bemusement at the ineptitude of the attempt, so oxf*rd knows what Brighton thought. I'm not normally fussed what other fans think, but that was embarrassingly bad.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 12 Mar 2015 05:35

It is the song of the Boston Red Sox. And it should work like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKysnb7Fksc

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 12 Mar 2015 07:07

Mouldy old dough, shit song but worked well.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 Mar 2015 08:59

Has Mouldy Old Dough ever been sung at a Reading game ? It may have crackled across the EP tannoy 40 years ago but can't remember anyone growling out the words....

As for Wigan also singing Day Dream Believer, I recall us singing it 20 years ago, and that was are Sunderland were singing it. It's pretty ubiquitous like Country Roads or Falling in Love

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Mar 2015 09:44

Bit difficult to sing Mouldy Old Dough seeing as there are no lyrics to it other than the line "Mouldy Old Dough" a couple of times towards the end.

The point I believe is for a song to be adopted rather than an instrumental piece, something that encourages the entire crowd to join in. While instrumentals can be useful going "dee da dum" or whatever to Terry and June doesn't really have the same effect. (could use Terry and June as goal music though :D)

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 12 Mar 2015 09:48

Sutekh Bit difficult to sing Mouldy Old Dough seeing as there are no lyrics to it other than the line "Mouldy Old Dough" a couple of times towards the end.

The point I believe is for a song to be adopted rather than an instrumental piece, something that encourages the entire crowd to join in. While instrumentals can be useful going "dee da dum" or whatever to Terry and June doesn't really have the same effect. (could use Terry and June as goal music though :D)

If we have to have goal music then Terry and June is the only option. It's not only ridiculous but it's just a gloriously mocking tune to piss opposition fans off.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 12 Mar 2015 13:08

Can't stand Sweet Caroline. A truly awful song that gets wheel out at social club parties all across the UK.

Ashes>>>>>>>Sweet Caroline.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 12 Mar 2015 13:33

Ian Royal This is ridiculous. The club had a vote for fans for what they wanted and Sweet Caroline came third of three iirc. I love Little, but that song was always for the squad, not for the fans. It was appallingly used on Tuesday, starting and stopping all the time, with mostly poor take up from the fans that extended as far as 'da da dur'.

I was standing in total bemusement at the ineptitude of the attempt, so oxf*rd knows what Brighton thought. I'm not normally fussed what other fans think, but that was embarrassingly bad.

Christ on a bendy bus, Ian :|

We've a generally poorly performing squad. Mystery owners. Even more mysterious set of financial circumstances. Likelihood of losing what few decent footballers we have in the summer. The remotest chance of being relegated still. A potential Wembley semi final.

And yet you devote enough concern to critiquing the choice of tannoy music, the democratic use of said music and the history behind it :?: And why on earth would you care what Brighton fans think of it FFS :?:

I attended the game on Tuesday (free ticket). And I thought that the use of a song which fans identify with from that 05/06 season provided some miniscule amount of individuality and personality to an otherwise utterly moribund stadium which is basically (half) full of middle class families tutting. I think it should 100% stay part of the pre/post match 'experience'. I'd also have the teams run out to Terry and June and have the Royals Anthem played 15 minutes before kick off. But with so much else going on at RFC and in the world in general does it require or deserve such a cynical view as yours above :|

Ps. see you on the pitch Monday night m8 8)

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 12 Mar 2015 14:35

Nameless Has Mouldy Old Dough ever been sung at a Reading game ? It may have crackled across the EP tannoy 40 years ago but can't remember anyone growling out the words....

As for Wigan also singing Day Dream Believer, I recall us singing it 20 years ago, and that was are Sunderland were singing it. It's pretty ubiquitous like Country Roads or Falling in Love

Not Day Dream Believer aka the Mark McGhee Anthem - I'M a believer. :roll:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Mar 2015 14:42

s
No Fixed Abode Can't stand Sweet Caroline. A truly awful song that gets wheel out at social club parties all across the UK.

Ashes>>>>>>>Sweet Caroline.

Ashes is OK but you can't sing along to it in the same way as Sweet Caroline and that is the difference that is needed (whether it's ends up as Sweet Caroline or not) in these circumstances. Basically you're looking for things in that style, look at Delilah, You'll Never Walk Alone even Take Me Home that Bradford were using they've all got big clear choruses that anyone can easily pick up. Plus verses that can also be easily followed if the support wants to take it that far.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 Mar 2015 16:31

Royal Lady
Nameless Has Mouldy Old Dough ever been sung at a Reading game ? It may have crackled across the EP tannoy 40 years ago but can't remember anyone growling out the words....

Not Day Dream Believer aka the Mark McGhee Anthem - I'M a believer. :roll:

Ah, these Monkees songs all sound the same to someone like me with a tin ear.....

Although Last Train to Clarksville might be a clever choice.....

Moonfish

by Moonfish » 12 Mar 2015 18:33

The only reason the club are playing this again is because we're one game away from Wembley, who insist on playing a 'team song' as part of the pre-match build up.

To be fair 'Sweet Caroline' is a damn site better than 'Don't stop believing' by Journey, which we had to endure for the play-off final versus Swansea despite it having absolutely nothing to do with the club, whilst Swansea almost deafened us with their ' Take me to the Vetch Field' anthem!

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 12 Mar 2015 18:52

How about Livin' on a Prayer, I don't think any club has claimed it, the lyrics work. I know it is a daft 80's song but some of the best club songs are just that:

We've got to hold on to what we've got
It doesn't make a difference if we make it or not
We've got each other and that's a lot for love
We'll give it a shot
Woah, we're half way there
Woah, livin' on a prayer
Take my hand, we'll make it I swear
Woah, livin' on a prayer

College football game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od6XgFpPty0