Nigel Howe

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

Nigel Howe

by paddy20 » 23 Jun 2015 16:08

Its been suggested that Nigel Howe will be playing a much greater role into the running of the club since the Thai takeover. Does anyone know much about him? He seems to have remained pretty quiet when JM was in charge. Should we be worried or look forward to his increased involvement?

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Nigel Howe

by maffff » 23 Jun 2015 16:17

He has 5 half brothers.

Nigel Whoe
Nigel Whate
Nigel Where'e
Nigel Whye
Nigel Whene

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 23 Jun 2015 16:22

Nigel Howe's father, I believe, is Don Howe but apart from that Nigel Howe does not have much of a footballing background. He is primarily an accountant.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 23 Jun 2015 16:23

As chief exec he's been running the club on a day to day basis for 20 years with SJM making the headline decisions and being the front man and NH doing the spadework.
I would think if anything he'll be a little less involved now given the Thai's have their own man on the board meaning the direct link between owner and CE is not so obvious.
NH is a property man originally and was brought in to manage the new stadium build but stuck around with a wider brief. He's got a pretty solid football background being the nephew of Don Howe.
Those who have had dealings with him tend to fall into 2 camps. Those who speak well and those who don,t

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 23 Jun 2015 16:40

Nameless As chief exec he's been running the club on a day to day basis for 20 years with SJM making the headline decisions and being the front man and NH doing the spadework.
I would think if anything he'll be a little less involved now given the Thai's have their own man on the board meaning the direct link between owner and CE is not so obvious.
NH is a property man originally and was brought in to manage the new stadium build but stuck around with a wider brief. He's got a pretty solid football background being the nephew of Don Howe.
Those who have had dealings with him tend to fall into 2 camps. Those who speak well and those who don,t

Nephew, yes. Sorry.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 23 Jun 2015 16:46

glass half full Nigel Howe's father, I believe, is Don Howe but apart from that Nigel Howe does not have much of a footballing background.

He has been Chief Executive of a professional football club for 20 years, I'd say that's a fairly good footballing background :wink:

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 23 Jun 2015 16:51

not sure if mentioned but he is Don Howe's mother and has 25 years of football experience, think he's a good a candidate we could ask for tbh

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 23 Jun 2015 16:55

He's the half sister of Fred Dineage from How!
He played wing back for the great Huddersfield side of the 1920's and also invented the corner flag.
Nigel is 12 3/4 and his favourite colour is yellow.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 23 Jun 2015 16:59

That's "Fred Dineage MBE" to you.

To SCIAG's point - Yeh well done Nige, you've held down a job for 20 years - but you don't see the likes of Crystal Palace, Bristol Rovers, Gillingham or Brentford trying to solicit his services do you?

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 23 Jun 2015 17:07

But just howe good is he?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 23 Jun 2015 17:15

Green That's "Fred Dineage MBE" to you.

To SCIAG's point - Yeh well done Nige, you've held down a job for 20 years - but you don't see the likes of Crystal Palace, Bristol Rovers, Gillingham or Brentford trying to solicit his services do you?

On the other hand he's done a better job here than the CE of any of those have done....

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 23 Jun 2015 17:26

paddy20 Its been suggested that Nigel Howe will be playing a much greater role into the running of the club since the Thai takeover.

suggested by who?

RepressedRoyal

by RepressedRoyal » 23 Jun 2015 17:34

I always hoped he might leave and join Basingstoke Town.

When Ernie Howe was the Manager at Basingstoke, he did a weekly comment in the Gazette called "Howes That?"

It was a fantastic pun and one I miss badly and even though when Frank Gray took charge, we were treated to the "Being Frank" column, things haven't been the same since the arrival of Jason Bristow..."Jason's Jottings" just doesn't work for me.

I long for a return of the "Howe's That" column, so come on Nige, make the short trip down the A33.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 23 Jun 2015 17:37

melonhead
paddy20 Its been suggested that Nigel Howe will be playing a much greater role into the running of the club since the Thai takeover.

suggested by who?

By Howe himself http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... we-8695620

Howe says he has now taken on an even more hands on role at the club since the change of ownership last year.

The chief executive, who insists Reading's move to a new state of the art training facility is still on track, has been charged with being the ‘frontman’ at Madejski Stadium while the owners concentrate on their other business interests back home.

“I’ve taken on more,” said Howe, who last week revealed details of the reckless spending by former owner Anton Zingarevich.

“With Sir John I was involved in a lot of other companies, then with Anton I was told it was me and that’s it. So I backed out of a lot of the Sir John businesses that I was involved in and concentrated on the club.

“The Thais have now come in and they’ve said to me that the shareholders can watch all the games, they can ring me on the telephone but they are not going to come here every week.

“They have all got huge businesses back in Thailand and we’re talking serious businesses. So they have said you are the frontman and we’ve got advisors around the place that are based in London.

“They will talk to you, they will talk to us, but you are the person that effectively fronts the club. And if there is a decision to be made, you tell us what you think that decision has to be.”

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 23 Jun 2015 17:41

that appears to be more than just a suggestion

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 23 Jun 2015 19:28

maffff
melonhead

suggested by who?

By Howe himself http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... we-8695620

Howe says he has now taken on an even more hands on role at the club since the change of ownership last year.

The chief executive, who insists Reading's move to a new state of the art training facility is still on track, has been charged with being the ‘frontman’ at Madejski Stadium while the owners concentrate on their other business interests back home.

“I’ve taken on more,” said Howe, who last week revealed details of the reckless spending by former owner Anton Zingarevich.

“With Sir John I was involved in a lot of other companies, then with Anton I was told it was me and that’s it. So I backed out of a lot of the Sir John businesses that I was involved in and concentrated on the club.

“The Thais have now come in and they’ve said to me that the shareholders can watch all the games, they can ring me on the telephone but they are not going to come here every week.

“They have all got huge businesses back in Thailand and we’re talking serious businesses. So they have said you are the frontman and we’ve got advisors around the place that are based in London.

“They will talk to you, they will talk to us, but you are the person that effectively fronts the club. And if there is a decision to be made, you tell us what you think that decision has to be.”

Thanks Maff I knew I'd seen it somewhere

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 23 Jun 2015 19:42

I've always been under the impression that's he's a bitofacunt. Nothing really to base that on mind.

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 24 Jun 2015 07:07

Pepe the Horseman I've always been under the impression that's he's a bitofacunt. Nothing really to base that on mind.

I know a couple of people that have worked with him, and they echo that opinion of him. He disliked Brendan Rodgers because he felt he wasn't being kept in the loop as much as he fwlt he should be, so he ran upstairs to SJM and demanded we sack him, and he got his wish (against SJM's better judgement, so he claimed at the time with it being the hardest decision he had to make). He isn't a football person, much as SJM isn't, and I feel ever so uneasy knowing he's pulling the strings at the club.

poohs pure

by poohs pure » 24 Jun 2015 08:06

For what its worth, we stuck our particularly shit Saab convertible on ebay a few years back and it was bought by none other than Nige himself. Saw it parked in the exec spaces by the ground a few times which made me smile. We negotiated a signed shirt for the lad as part of the deal, we got an unsigned one instead which was a bit gash.

Delboy

by Delboy » 24 Jun 2015 08:14

I know him, good guy has overseen our most successful period, very knowledgable about football and business. Hated Anton!