Royal Elm Park

587 posts
Coppelled_Streets

Re: Royal Elm Park

by Coppelled_Streets » 16 Oct 2015 12:39

Dai Brainbocs Local TV last night said it will either cut 1900 onsite spaces to 800, or 1800 to 900. I can't remember which.

I thought it said 1800 to 800? Either way, it's going to cause a massive problem to the many that travel from out of town. It's very easy to suggest they'll be excellent bus services and the like, but that's not suitable for everyone.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 16 Oct 2015 12:42

I hope it means nobody drives to the ground, except for disableds

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 16 Oct 2015 12:45

Planning permission for any ground redevelopment won't be an issue as the club commenced construction on the original planning permission years ago (by putting foundations in place for a retaining wall) and therefore do not need to do it again.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 16 Oct 2015 12:51

ZacNaloen Only problem I see with buses at the moment, is that no one who gets buses seems to be able to stay to the end of the game?

No that's all the car drivers leaving early to get out of the car park , the buses cannot leave until all the pedestrians have exited the roads around the stadium (around 10mins after final whistle}.

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 16 Oct 2015 12:57

RG30 Planning permission for any ground redevelopment won't be an issue as the club commenced construction on the original planning permission years ago (by putting foundations in place for a retaining wall) and therefore do not need to do it again.

Interesting. I thought we had to renew the PP a couple of years ago, but we wouldn't have had to in this case?

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 16 Oct 2015 12:59

Not if you've commenced works.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 16 Oct 2015 13:09

I believe they also did some electrical substation upgrades that we part of the work in the original pp.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 16 Oct 2015 13:12

Ah so now we see why these people were so keen to buy the club. Oh well as long as they fund a competitive team and improve the facilities and appearance of the drab town of Reading who cares if they make an absolute mint out of it eh.

Hope they don't overspend on the club and withdraw once they make multiple millions out of all this property :!:

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 16 Oct 2015 13:25

It's a fair point that however impressive this looks it would be good if we had some assurance that the club won't be loaded with debt to pay for it and then all the profits disappear overseas.
It's been mentioned that the development cost is estimated at 200 million, which obviously means it will no up as much more.
I have no idea how anyone can check the financial set up and potential risks to the club, but presumably someone amongst the fans would have the knowledge (as opposed to us guessing !)

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 16 Oct 2015 13:47

Nameless It's a fair point that however impressive this looks it would be good if we had some assurance that the club won't be loaded with debt to pay for it and then all the profits disappear overseas.
It's been mentioned that the development cost is estimated at 200 million, which obviously means it will no up as much more.
I have no idea how anyone can check the financial set up and potential risks to the club, but presumably someone amongst the fans would have the knowledge (as opposed to us guessing !)

Agreed. One of the reasons I've lost interest in the game is all the money in the game now, the corruption that goes with it, and dodgy owners coming and going. We just have to hope for the best; what else can we do? As for the £200m plus spend - 800 homes will go a long way in paying that back and more - assuming of course the club pays for it, and then gets the money/profit back...

The Thai's aren't building all of that for a club profit. This is about them filling their boots. I just hope the club isn't made to suffer later when all the money dries up.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 16 Oct 2015 13:56

ZacNaloen Only problem I see with buses at the moment, is that no one who gets buses seems to be able to stay to the end of the game?

I get the bus and have never left a game early. The queue lasts no longer than 15 minutes. It's rare i'm not in the train station within half an hour of the final whistle.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 16 Oct 2015 13:59

There has always been corruption in football and I wouldn't stop watching my team just because the upper echelons of FIFA are getting their come uppance.
I have no problems with the Thai's making money off all this. They are business people. I just want a bit of balance, and assurance that there is no risk to the club. If they are smart enough to see a way to make millions but also put investment into the club and deliver the project as promised it can be good for everyone. I hope STAR are examining plans and asking pertinent questions.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 16 Oct 2015 14:23

Business is not without risk, that's the very nature of it.

Seems to me if you accept the former you have to accept the latter.

Royalscot

by Royalscot » 16 Oct 2015 14:53

Car parking for both the football and for the proposed convention centre "Designed to accommodate over 5,000 delegates" will be a major issue.
A significant number of people will be travelling by car for business conventions and concert type activities, never mind the football.

As part of these proposals I would have thought they would have given far greater explanation as to how they are proposing to address parking, instead of very high level comments regarding greater use of public transport and a potential over reliance on Green Park station which dependant on the go ahead for electrification of that line is not yet a certainty.

I am surprised that as part of this they have not acquired the land where the old speedway was located and made that the parking for all events.

This is an exciting opportunity and it appears a shame that parking has not been fully catered for, perhaps an opportunity lost as not all have easy access to public transport especially those living in rural areas.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 16 Oct 2015 15:04

Paying for development land just to use it for car parking would not make sense. The old speedway stadium is a development site.
I suspect the council will have steered them away from putting loads of parking in. It's obvious that There are too many cars on the roads round here and it has to make sense for the plans to look at better options. Rather than see them address parking I'd rather have more info on the other options, people need to stop expecting to be able to drive everywhere and developers/councils need to make it easy for people NOT to drive.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 16 Oct 2015 15:59

I propose a heathrow style pod system following the rail line out of Reading.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 16 Oct 2015 16:02

Royalscot Car parking for both the football and for the proposed convention centre "Designed to accommodate over 5,000 delegates" will be a major issue.
A significant number of people will be travelling by car for business conventions and concert type activities, never mind the football.

Not if there's no parking they won't

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 16 Oct 2015 16:19

Coppelled_Streets
Dai Brainbocs Local TV last night said it will either cut 1900 onsite spaces to 800, or 1800 to 900. I can't remember which.

I thought it said 1800 to 800? Either way, it's going to cause a massive problem to the many that travel from out of town. It's very easy to suggest they'll be excellent bus services and the like, but that's not suitable for everyone.

Could they not tie up a deal with Green Park? Plenty of parking space there over the weekend.....

Esteban

by Esteban » 16 Oct 2015 16:45

Royalscot Car parking for both the football and for the proposed convention centre "Designed to accommodate over 5,000 delegates" will be a major issue.

As part of these proposals I would have thought they would have given far greater explanation as to how they are proposing to address parking, instead of very high level comments regarding greater use of public transport and a potential over reliance on Green Park station which dependant on the go ahead for electrification of that line is not yet a certainty.

I am surprised that as part of this they have not acquired the land where the old speedway was located and made that the parking for all events.

This is an exciting opportunity and it appears a shame that parking has not been fully catered for, perhaps an opportunity lost as not all have easy access to public transport especially those living in rural areas.

Build it and they will come. A lack of car parking is not going to deter a football fan or a concert goer from seeing their team or favourite band play. They'll moan and whinge about it whilst they are on their way there, but they'll do it regardless. And most conference attendees are forced to go anyway!

It's not as if you can't get to the complex if you need to and it gives RBC another reason to push the government to electrify the Reading to Basingstoke line. It probably does mean that out of town parking will be put under extra pressure and there'll be a greater need for public transport links, which could inflate costs. But I would imagine that parking is pretty low down on the agenda for any new build - unless you happen to be building a new car park, of course.

My immediate concerns are where the memorial garden is going to be and how the finances affect the club. I'll worry about how I'm going to get to the game when the thing is actually finished.

EDIT: Imagine that central space between the stadium and the conference centre full of Reading fans, when we have a reason to celebrate!

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 16 Oct 2015 17:22

No Fixed Abode
Coppelled_Streets

Could they not tie up a deal with Green Park? Plenty of parking space there over the weekend.....

When the Pru owned Green Park they absolutely would not allow tenants to make their parking available, and even posted security guards to stop football traffic entering Green Park. I understand the current owners are less anti, and it's a subject under discussion.
Even then I'm not sure what public parking is available, the tenants of the various buildings presumably pay for the car parking and you can't just tell them they have to let loads of other people use them.
Does seem daft though having lots of space unused.

587 posts