Moving away fans to Upper West Corner

154 posts
RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: Moving away fans to Upper West Corner

by RoyalBlue » 16 May 2023 19:26

Notts Royal I think if they’re going to expand C1871 in the South Stand, surely they becomes the “home” end and with the North Stand becoming sparser and sparser, there’s grounds to move the away fans there, or to the North/East corner which is barren wasteland nowadays.

As it stands, the atmosphere is incredibly lop-sided to 1 end of the pitch, which can’t help the players when they are shooting towards the other end in the second half

During the last few games of our Championship days, the noise/support from the Northern end of the stadium was pretty good too.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 16 May 2023 19:48

Royal_jimmy We could give GU1-GU3 (both tiers) to solve the issue of fans mixing as the entrances are next to each other. That's probably around 2.5k capacity in that area there. We can then remove the segregation in the south stand and net off the corner.

The executive boxes around that part of the ground are always empty, we could close that off and add a few extra seats.

Would allow us to give a slightly bigger allocation than we do now (a bit of extra revenue) whilst having fans behind both goals.

In the cup we could offer half the south stand too (in theory 4.6k allocation there).

Upper west is mainly season ticket holders, never a great idea to piss off one of your guaranteed income streams

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 16 May 2023 19:49

Notts Royal I think if they’re going to expand C1871 in the South Stand, surely they becomes the “home” end and with the North Stand becoming sparser and sparser, there’s grounds to move the away fans there, or to the North/East corner which is barren wasteland nowadays.

As it stands, the atmosphere is incredibly lop-sided to 1 end of the pitch, which can’t help the players when they are shooting towards the other end in the second half

Disagree, C1871 have been great at shutting down away fans, they should remain next to each other.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 16 May 2023 19:52

traff Apparently, the club are looking at moving fans to the Upper West corner.

"Ahead of releasing Season Ticket details for next season, we wanted to inform you of proposed plans to potentially relocate the away fan allocation within the stadium bowl.
One option is to utilise the Upper West corner on the south side of the stadium to accommodate visiting supporters – an area which is currently a home supporter section in which you have your seat.
Why?

The rationale behind this would be to improve the home atmosphere by moving the visiting supporters further away from the goal for the majority of fixtures and to enable us to sell more tickets to home supporters without sales restrictions when the away fan allocation is taken in full. Furthermore, creating an allocation for visiting supporters in the Upper West, this would also enable us to charge away fans a higher ticket price than we are currently able to."

Thoughts?

My thoughts, it hasn't sunk in yet at the club that we are now in the (old) third division, doubt there will ever be a shortage of seats for our home support.

Someone send them this link
https://fanbanter.co.uk/average-away-at ... n-january/

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 16 May 2023 19:59

Snowflake Royal

North Stand is the family stand. No way away fans will be sent there in part or full. Plus the whole point is to minimise their presence in an end which is a much better location for generating noise.

Half South plus Upper West means we can charge away fans more with large crowds. You have to offer tickets at the same prices as equivalent seats for home fans. But if 4000 Pompey fans want to come at least 1000 need to pay upper West prices.

And that part of the upper west had limited occupancy whe n we were in the PL let alone now. It was sometimes the only place I could get tickets when I make a game. And there were always spare seats.

But it’s bare & there’s plenty of room on the north side of the easy stand to place family.

Agree with upping the away capacity though to at least 3k. We need to sell more tickets & increase revenue

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 16 May 2023 20:10

Notts Royal
Snowflake Royal

North Stand is the family stand. No way away fans will be sent there in part or full. Plus the whole point is to minimise their presence in an end which is a much better location for generating noise.

Half South plus Upper West means we can charge away fans more with large crowds. You have to offer tickets at the same prices as equivalent seats for home fans. But if 4000 Pompey fans want to come at least 1000 need to pay upper West prices.

And that part of the upper west had limited occupancy whe n we were in the PL let alone now. It was sometimes the only place I could get tickets when I make a game. And there were always spare seats.

But it’s bare & there’s plenty of room on the north side of the easy stand to place family.

Agree with upping the away capacity though to at least 3k. We need to sell more tickets & increase revenue

Only derby, Sheffield Wed and Portsmouth will bring more than 2000

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 16 May 2023 20:57

72 bus
Notts Royal
Snowflake Royal North Stand is the family stand. No way away fans will be sent there in part or full. Plus the whole point is to minimise their presence in an end which is a much better location for generating noise.

Local clubs might, Oxford definitely will.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 16 May 2023 21:08

Bristol rovers. Charlton,, Orient.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 May 2023 21:58

Notts Royal
Snowflake Royal

Which we can do, at a greater price, in the upper west. Swapping the South for the North is just stupid. It's exactly the same.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 16 May 2023 22:08

Snowflake Royal
Notts Royal
Snowflake Royal North Stand is the family stand. No way away fans will be sent there in part or full. Plus the whole point is to minimise their presence in an end which is a much better location for generating noise.

Which we can do, at a greater price, in the upper west. Swapping the South for the North is just stupid. It's exactly the same.

You’re stupid

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 16 May 2023 22:17

Notts Royal
Snowflake Royal
Notts Royal

You’re stupid

He's right though, it's utterly meaningless, hell it potentially gives away fans free reign to make a racket in their own stand and dominate the atmosphere so it's even worse.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 May 2023 22:21

It's not half term, but I guess it is study leave time.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 17 May 2023 08:53

RoyalBlue

During the last few games of our Championship days, the noise/support from the Northern end of the stadium was pretty good too.

Agree with this. The atmosphere has been excellent and it can be over there.

Since the singing section moved to the south stand, I do think it's improved our atmosphere a lot. I used to sit in the Eamonn Dolan years ago and the away fans always sounded louder due to the way noise travels through the ground.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 17 May 2023 09:12

tidus_mi2
72 bus
Notts Royal

I'd say Sheffield Wednesday, Derby, Portsmouth, Wycombe, Oxford, Charlton and Bristol Rovers.

Orient won't but they'll take a few (1k), same with Exeter and teams like Stevenage, Bolton, Cambridge and Northampton. The rest will take sod all to us.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 17 May 2023 10:47

Royal_jimmy
tidus_mi2
72 bus

I'd say Sheffield Wednesday, Derby, Portsmouth, Wycombe, Oxford, Charlton and Bristol Rovers.

Orient won't but they'll take a few (1k), same with Exeter and teams like Stevenage, Bolton, Cambridge and Northampton. The rest will take sod all to us.

Agree with repositioning away fans so they have less impact on the game. But we can barely sell out half the stadium as it is, so we don’t really have an excuse not to up the away capacity. Surprised the EFL didn’t stipulate that in the business plan to generate more revenue. Appreciate it won’t have had the same impact as player sales, but it’s a start. And we should up ticket prices as cheap tickets has had minimal impact on home attendances. We are down to the core support who will pay a few quid extra to support us no matter what

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 17 May 2023 10:53

Notts Royal
Royal_jimmy
tidus_mi2 Local clubs might, Oxford definitely will.

Agree with repositioning away fans so they have less impact on the game. But we can barely sell out half the stadium as it is, so we don’t really have an excuse not to up the away capacity. Surprised the EFL didn’t stipulate that in the business plan to generate more revenue. Appreciate it won’t have had the same impact as player sales, but it’s a start. And we should up ticket prices as cheap tickets has had minimal impact on home attendances. We are down to the core support who will pay a few quid extra to support us no matter what

The fact ST have gone up would suggest general ticket prices will be raised slightly as well.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 18 May 2023 10:21

Does anyone know how much away fans will be charged who sit in the upper west? surely must be over £25 which is quite steep for L1 but after being generous for years charging £20 and us being more reliant on gate receipts it's about time we charged away fans more.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 18 May 2023 10:33

Royal_jimmy Does anyone know how much away fans will be charged who sit in the upper west? surely must be over £25 which is quite steep for L1 but after being generous for years charging £20 and us being more reliant on gate receipts it's about time we charged away fans more.

They can only be charged the same as home fans "in equivalent accommodation" - so they can only be charged the same as home fans in UW.

The idea of only opening UW to away fans and not giving them the option of a cheaper area is an utter dick move, the sort pulled by the worst type of scumbag clubs in the league.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 18 May 2023 10:50

Dirk Gently
Royal_jimmy Does anyone know how much away fans will be charged who sit in the upper west? surely must be over £25 which is quite steep for L1 but after being generous for years charging £20 and us being more reliant on gate receipts it's about time we charged away fans more.

They can only be charged the same as home fans "in equivalent accommodation" - so they can only be charged the same as home fans in UW.

The idea of only opening UW to away fans and not giving them the option of a cheaper area is an utter dick move, the sort pulled by the worst type of scumbag clubs in the league.

Yeh very cynical move by the club. I've seen it done at other places mind.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 May 2023 10:52

Green
Dirk Gently

Yeh very cynical move by the club. I've seen it done at other places mind.

After the last few seasons, wish they'd move the home support to a new location too! Bottom Meadow has been possibly the most entertaining place for local football over the same time span.

154 posts