Moving away fans to Upper West Corner

154 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Moving away fans to Upper West Corner

by Stranded » 22 May 2023 12:06

Agreed, not clear but that phrase seems very specifically chosen & proportion is not usually used to mean majority.

Also unclear how many UW seats we are talking here exactly.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 22 May 2023 12:19

I dunno the mindset of the average UW home fan but is there not a risk we're upsetting the apple cart for them?

If they wanted to be near the away fans and chanting they'd be in Club 1871. Can imagine it putting a few off their prawn sandwiches and wondering what exactly they're paying a premium for.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 22 May 2023 12:28

Stranded
Moving visiting supporters to the Upper West also enables the club to charge a proportion of away fans a higher ticket price than we are currently able to. Regulations mean we are obligated to offer visiting supporters the same price as home fans when they are located within the same stand - but this change will mean we can charge a section of away supporters the Upper West matchday ticket price and increase revenue from visiting fans whilst keeping our Club 1871 prices as affordable as possible.

Isn't the bit in bold key here.

If we are planning on selling the UW first, then if the move only enables us to charge a "proportion of away fans" more, means that the plan is likely to offer a pricing policy similar to or continiung 20s Plenty - where the opposition agrees to do the same?

If not, then the tickets will be sold at UW prices and the cheaper seats will only become available if we are obligied to give them or feel we are going to get more money from away sales than C1871 sales.

If so this could actually push the onus on other clubs to accept the 20s Plenty deal to save their fans a bit of cash and make it cheaper for our fans to go away.

Proof will be in the pudding but that's how I read it.

I think the key bit is the bit in bold here: "By selling the Upper West allocation to visiting clubs ahead of their allocation of South Stand seats,"

So visiting clubs will only get a chance to buy South Stand tickets once they’ve sold the entire Upper West allocation. That's pretty clear to me - the clubs that bring more fans will only get cheaper tickets when they've sold all the expensive ones.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 22 May 2023 12:36

Green I dunno the mindset of the average UW home fan but is there not a risk we're upsetting the apple cart for them?

If they wanted to be near the away fans and chanting they'd be in Club 1871. Can imagine it putting a few off their prawn sandwiches and wondering what exactly they're paying a premium for.

Did they even consult those who would be now sat next to the away fans with this change? I know they contacted those who would lose their seats in this move, not sure about the former though.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 May 2023 13:13

Dirk Gently
Stranded
Moving visiting supporters to the Upper West also enables the club to charge a proportion of away fans a higher ticket price than we are currently able to. Regulations mean we are obligated to offer visiting supporters the same price as home fans when they are located within the same stand - but this change will mean we can charge a section of away supporters the Upper West matchday ticket price and increase revenue from visiting fans whilst keeping our Club 1871 prices as affordable as possible.

If we are planning on selling the UW first, then if the move only enables us to charge a "proportion of away fans" more, means that the plan is likely to offer a pricing policy similar to or continiung 20s Plenty - where the opposition agrees to do the same?

If not, then the tickets will be sold at UW prices and the cheaper seats will only become available if we are obligied to give them or feel we are going to get more money from away sales than C1871 sales.

If so this could actually push the onus on other clubs to accept the 20s Plenty deal to save their fans a bit of cash and make it cheaper for our fans to go away.

I think the key bit is the bit in bold here: "By selling the Upper West allocation to visiting clubs ahead of their allocation of South Stand seats,"

So visiting clubs will only get a chance to buy South Stand tickets once they’ve sold the entire Upper West allocation. That's pretty clear to me - the clubs that bring more fans will only get cheaper tickets when they've sold all the expensive ones.

Yep, agreed but what is explicitly not stated is the price - they could have those sold at 20 quid if their club offers the same or they will be charged UW price. Club may well have done a complete flip but giving them a little leeway on this one at the mo.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 22 May 2023 13:15

Stranded
Dirk Gently
Stranded

Yep, agreed but what is explicitly not stated is the price - they could have those sold at 20 quid if their club offers the same or they will be charged UW price. Club may well have done a complete flip but giving them a little leeway on this one at the mo.

What you’re suggesting involves the club selling away tickets in UW as a cheaper price than the home fans there are paying. Can't see that flying for a moment ...

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 May 2023 13:27

Dirk Gently
Stranded
Dirk Gently

What you’re suggesting involves the club selling away tickets in UW as a cheaper price than the home fans there are paying. Can't see that flying for a moment ...

Wasn't that the case anyway with 20s plenty? Away fans got cheaper tickets as it was accepted that the cost of travel on top made it a more expensive day for them but only if their club returned the favour. I don't see why moving them to the UW should remove that possibility but accept the possibility that they have scrapped the deal.

You charge our fans 20 and we'll do the same but if you don't well, the first trance of tickets will be these ones that will actually cost your fans 28-30 quid.

One8Seven1*

by One8Seven1* » 22 May 2023 13:40

Dirk Gently So visiting clubs will only get a chance to buy South Stand tickets once they’ve sold the entire Upper West allocation. That's pretty clear to me - the clubs that bring more fans will only get cheaper tickets when they've sold all the expensive ones.

Give it a rest. Bollocks to morals. The club is in it's most desperate state since the 80's and we're getting what extra income in we can whilst at the same time trying to keep the behind the goal advantage we now have with C1871. You have a thing about being heard and it gets very tiresome.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 22 May 2023 13:49

One8Seven1*
Dirk Gently So visiting clubs will only get a chance to buy South Stand tickets once they’ve sold the entire Upper West allocation. That's pretty clear to me - the clubs that bring more fans will only get cheaper tickets when they've sold all the expensive ones.

Give it a rest. Bollocks to morals. The club is in it's most desperate state since the 80's and we're getting what extra income in we can whilst at the same time trying to keep the behind the goal advantage we now have with C1871. You have a thing about being heard and it gets very tiresome.

If you chuck away your principals in times of difficulty, were there ever principals in the first place?

It's rare I agree with Dirk but I'm absolutely with him here - it absolutely stinks and it's amazing how many fans don't seem to give a shit, because they happen to wear a different coloured shirt.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 22 May 2023 13:51

One8Seven1*

Whatevs!

Saying "Bollocks to morals" is a confirmation you agree it's immoral. The only difference is that I care and you don't...

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 22 May 2023 14:16

Another thing to point out is a lot of clubs in L1 don't charge more than £20-22 a game anyway, some clubs charge even less at £18. So not sure we'll even offer Twenty's Plenty in L1. Some teams like Derby and Bolton sell tickets for £25-30 but the majority of clubs pricing is in the £18-22 range.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 22 May 2023 14:54

Above fifteen is obscene maybe

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 May 2023 15:59

Green I dunno the mindset of the average UW home fan but is there not a risk we're upsetting the apple cart for them?

Well those in the SUW were already fairly near the away fans. And that area is sparsely populated. So easy to move a block or two.

MR.CYNICAL

by MR.CYNICAL » 22 May 2023 19:01

Strange some go on about morals with this policy yet no one complains about the club charging £15 to park at the stadium!

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 22 May 2023 21:49

MR.CYNICAL Strange some go on about morals with this policy yet no one complains about the club charging £15 to park at the stadium!

There are cheaper alternatives to paying £15 to park that mean you still get to watch the game.

When there's only one higher-priced ticket type available to you, you either pay that price or don't get to watch the game.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 22 May 2023 23:09

Unless there's an elderly or disabled person present I think parking at the stadium is a waste of money and time. Can park for free 20 minutes walk up the road without the 45 minute queue to get out of the car park after the game.

MR.CYNICAL

by MR.CYNICAL » 23 May 2023 06:45

Agree there are cheaper alternatives but not if you're elderly or disabled.

YoungRon

by YoungRon » 23 May 2023 08:41

Royal_jimmy Unless there's an elderly or disabled person present I think parking at the stadium is a waste of money and time. Can park for free 20 minutes walk up the road without the 45 minute queue to get out of the car park after the game.

Parking is very handy, no matter how you look at it... Whoever wants to park near the stadium will do so. Despite the price. And whoever doesn't want to, will park within a 20-minute walk.
And I think the car park will be full on match days.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 23 May 2023 09:40

MR.CYNICAL Agree there are cheaper alternatives but not if you're elderly or disabled.

Yep. Please tell me they don't charge full price for disabled parking. That'll really tip me over the edge...

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 23 May 2023 09:55

Dirk Gently
MR.CYNICAL Agree there are cheaper alternatives but not if you're elderly or disabled.

Yep. Please tell me they don't charge full price for disabled parking. That'll really tip me over the edge...

Relax, they don't.

There are permits issued for the season, and disabled supporters attending on a match by match basis can get parking for £5.

Additionally, club partners with Readibus so disabled supporters can be brought door-to-door.

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/fans/disabled-supporters

154 posts