Car Park Options

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Sebastian the Red

Car Park Options

by Sebastian the Red » 17 Apr 2023 11:21

Hello all

A chum of mine wants to take his son to a game, and is considering Wednesday evening. He asked me about parking options, and my experience is about a decade out of date.

How are the queues out of Red Car Park these days? Does it still take an hour to get out?

Is the Car Park 6 down the hill any better?

What's Mereoak Park and Ride like, any good? Easy enough to get back on the road out of there?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Car Park Options

by Hendo » 17 Apr 2023 11:27

Sebastian the Red Hello all

A chum of mine wants to take his son to a game, and is considering Wednesday evening. He asked me about parking options, and my experience is about a decade out of date.

How are the queues out of Red Car Park these days? Does it still take an hour to get out?

What's Mereoak Park and Ride like, any good? Easy enough to get back on the road out of there?

Would recommend the Mereoak P&R service. Seem to have got the service down well now. Queue can be long to get back to the car park, but I was queuing up around the corner into the retail park and got on the second double-decker bus.

Think it'll be quicker than getting out of the main car park.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 17 Apr 2023 11:32

The Red Car Park won't take that long. Realty is it's a midweek game where I would say nearly half the STH's don't attend, especially with this being on red button. You'll be waiting no longer than 20 minutes tops.

Sebastian the Red

by Sebastian the Red » 17 Apr 2023 11:55

Hendo

Would recommend the Mereoak P&R service. Seem to have got the service down well now. Queue can be long to get back to the car park, but I was queuing up around the corner into the retail park and got on the second double-decker bus.

Thanks. Is the bus fare contactless or would he need to bring cash?

Sebastian the Red

by Sebastian the Red » 17 Apr 2023 11:55

RG30 The Red Car Park won't take that long. Realty is it's a midweek game where I would say nearly half the STH's don't attend, especially with this being on red button. You'll be waiting no longer than 20 minutes tops.

I’ll let him know. Many thanks.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Apr 2023 11:56

Sebastian the Red
Hendo

Thanks. Is the bus fare contactless or would he need to bring cash?

Either is fine and unlike other Reading Buses, you don't need exact cash if you're paying that way.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 17 Apr 2023 12:07

Depending on how old his son is, the Holiday Inn Car Park on the Basingstoke Road might be a reasonable option. A tenner to park like most of them, a bit of a walk each way but they're still likely to be on their way and ahead of a lot of the traffic quicker than using the stadium car parks.

Sebastian the Red

by Sebastian the Red » 17 Apr 2023 13:12

RoyalBlue Depending on how old his son is, the Holiday Inn Car Park on the Basingstoke Road might be a reasonable option. A tenner to park like most of them, a bit of a walk each way but they're still likely to be on their way and ahead of a lot of the traffic quicker than using the stadium car parks.

Same year as my daughter so 6 or 7. Might be alright. I’ll let them know.

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 17 Apr 2023 14:45

Another option, slightly closer is the SARA charity shop at the stadium end of Bennet Road. You can be back to the car and away before the buses have left the stadium. Costs a tenner but does get full quite early. Probably need to get there at least 30 mins before KO.

JR

by JR » 17 Apr 2023 23:48

Old speedway car park is definitely the answer if you are heading toward central Reading direction after as it has its own exit lane on A33.

Huge and closest non stadium car park. £8 if book in advanced.

Reading station bus service is also an excellent option that flies in to town at final whistle.

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1