Loyalty Points

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Loyalty Points

by Orion1871 » 25 Jul 2023 14:52

Needle I've long argued for an expiry date on Royalty Points.

It makes no sense that someone who started following Reading week in week out three seasons ago should be lower down the priority list than a 30yr supporter who stopped coming five years ago but fancies Oxford away because it's a novelty.

Fair point. Although considering we haven't played Oxford for 21 years, playing them is a novelty for everyone.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 25 Jul 2023 14:53

Do you feel vindicated, Needle?

Indeed, do these latest measures go far enough do you think?

Needle

by Needle » 25 Jul 2023 15:40

Green

Do you feel vindicated, Needle?

LOL

absolutely.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 25 Jul 2023 16:13

I've offered my solution before.

Royalty points inflation.

Increase the points every season so over time your historic record matters, but not as much as the current one. Since they've already added 255 for this seasons points they've missed the chance for this season. But they could of made it 300 and increased the per match points.

Also IIRC they were Royalty Points but now the site has them as Loyalty Points.

Being in the top tier and first dibs to get tickets I will be well hacked off if they wipe them.

traff

by traff » 25 Jul 2023 17:28

Dirk Gently
traff
NathStPaul The system should be fairer and biased towards a younger generation. They are the supporters with the passion and who bring the noise. Windermere Royal and his cup of Bovril shouldn't take priority over them just because they happen to be young people.

Then, by definition, it is no longer a loyalty scheme.

It never was a loyalty scheme and never pretended to be one - they are "Royalty Points", not "Loyalty Points."

They simply give priority to people who spend the most money with the club, not to those who are the most loyal to the team.

That is pure semantics. How else do you measure loyalty. Tatto? Punch in the face by an Aldershit supporter?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 25 Jul 2023 17:49

traff
Dirk Gently
traff
Then, by definition, it is no longer a loyalty scheme.

It never was a loyalty scheme and never pretended to be one - they are "Royalty Points", not "Loyalty Points."

They simply give priority to people who spend the most money with the club, not to those who are the most loyal to the team.

That is pure semantics. How else do you measure loyalty. Tatto? Punch in the face by an Aldershit supporter?

Nope.

Loyalty would be number of matches attended and greater reward for the more difficult matches. Instead, people get rewarded more for going to the (easier) home matches than they do for going to the (harder) away matches. In terms of "loyalty" Carlisle away would be worth more than QPR at home, but the system is weighted to reward spend, not loyalty.

Someone buying a season ticket and going to one game with it that season would get more points than someone who went to every away match but not home games.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 25 Jul 2023 20:04

PieEater I've offered my solution before.

Royalty points inflation.

Increase the points every season so over time your historic record matters, but not as much as the current one. Since they've already added 255 for this seasons points they've missed the chance for this season. But they could of made it 300 and increased the per match points.

Also IIRC they were Royalty Points but now the site has them as Loyalty Points.

Being in the top tier and first dibs to get tickets I will be well hacked off if they wipe them.

Why don't they do it like this? Similar to your idea but have points as a deflationary thing? So 500 points earned in a season falls to 400 points the following season, maybe 300 points the season after and then counts as 250 points the season after. That gives those who go every week that season priority over those who used to go years ago but don't go as often but happen to have more points? But also factors in those who also used to go to many away games but only have season tickets now.

Personally I'm for and against the idea. One of my mates I sit with used to go every week in the 2000s home and away but he's not married with a kid so only goes to home games and the occasional away one. I'd be disappointed if he loses out. Also why does it have to be covid that's the cutoff?

As said any away fans ticket preferences will mean some miss out.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 26 Jul 2023 09:46

I don't see the issue with this. I built up most of my loyalty points when we were good. That they've tailed off is largely a result of exiling myself to the north, but also making a huge effort to go to games doesn't make sense when supporting the team provides no enjoyment.

By giving precedent to points earned in the past 5 years, the club are allowing those who have stuck with it over a dire period to move to the front of the queue. Fair play. What's there to argue with?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 26 Jul 2023 09:57

TBH it's largely irrelevant to most people who've got a big total from past years, because STHs trump non STHs on priority.

So if you don't have a ST, you won't be in line for the vast majority of games, whether you've got 5 points or 5 million points.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 26 Jul 2023 10:12

Dirk Gently TBH it's largely irrelevant to most people who've got a big total from past years, because STHs trump non STHs on priority.

So if you don't have a ST, you won't be in line for the vast majority of games, whether you've got 5 points or 5 million points.

Exactly. If we've got ~7,000 STHs now, given a sizable percentage won't go to away matches at all this season (typically kids and older adults). You'll probably end up with at most 3,500 STHs wanting to go to any single away game. I imagine the vast majority of people who actually go to away games even vaguely regularly (I'm talking 3+ a season) will have a ST anyway, so it becomes a moot point.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 26 Jul 2023 11:59

I think we have 9,000 season ticket holders. Imagine most of them will go to at least one away game.

Why doesn't the club look more towards away loyalty points? even something like away royalty points over the last 5 years. Keeps those who go away regularly having priority.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 26 Jul 2023 12:04

Royal_jimmy I think we have 9,000 season ticket holders. Imagine most of them will go to at least one away game.

7,200 currently for the upcoming season.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 26 Jul 2023 12:11

My loyalty points format has changed so there’s no longer a total number, but without going through every game and adding them up, which I’m not going to do, it looks like they’re there - certainly have games that pre-date rona.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 26 Jul 2023 12:13

Royal_jimmy I think we have 9,000 season ticket holders. Imagine most of them will go to at least one away game.

Why doesn't the club look more towards away loyalty points? even something like away royalty points over the last 5 years. Keeps those who go away regularly having priority.

Because the club don’t really benefit, I was happy when they went from 5 pts to 10 for away a few seasons ago.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 26 Jul 2023 12:19

CountryRoyal My loyalty points format has changed so there’s no longer a total number, but without going through every game and adding them up, which I’m not going to do, it looks like they’re there - certainly have games that pre-date rona.

If you click on Welcome when you log in it says under My Profile.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 26 Jul 2023 12:21

All kicking off on Twitter now this news has broken. Some old skool ST holders not happy.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 26 Jul 2023 12:23

RG30

7,200 currently for the upcoming season.

Have you stolen my spreadsheet? :lol:

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 26 Jul 2023 12:31

Don't see how anyone can moan, go to less games, get less points, get less priority. Simple.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 26 Jul 2023 13:14

Theroyalbox Don't see how anyone can moan

You must be new here.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 26 Jul 2023 13:31

So if I've got 5000 points accumulated in a 5 year period, the 5 years they were accumulated in should have some weighting

0 to -5 years = 5000 points
-5 to -10 years = 2500 points
-10 to -15 years = 1250 points
-15 to -20 years = 625 points

Just my thoughts

From some bloke on Twitter. Am I missing something? Isn’t the maximum number of points you could possibly get in a 5 year period is less than 2500 and that’s IF you have a ST and go to every away game, every year.