11 & Under £8
4 & Under Free

Allocation: 1,427

IN for this

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Cambridge (A)

by St Pauli » 12 Aug 2023 05:42

Why do armed forces come under concessions?

Bit American for me.

The Green Programme

by The Green Programme » 12 Aug 2023 08:55

St Pauli Why do armed forces come under concessions?

Bit American for me.

If so, it’s one of the few positive of the recent cultural imports from the US.

For me, serving armed forces shouldn’t have to pay.

A much worthier ‘concession’.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 12 Aug 2023 11:25

The Green Programme

Bit American for me.

serving armed forces shouldn’t have to pay.

Why not?

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 12 Aug 2023 11:57

I'm with St P here.

Armed Forces are quite well paid these days-why don't nurses and doctors get a concession as they save lives.?
I agree with youngsters as they are the future but students and oldies' concessions I don't agree with either despite being a grateful beneficiary of one of those at Reading. :wink:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Aug 2023 13:37

South Coast Royal I'm with St P here.

Armed Forces are quite well paid these days-why don't nurses and doctors get a concession as they save lives.?
I agree with youngsters as they are the future but students and oldies' concessions I don't agree with either despite being a grateful beneficiary of one of those at Reading. :wink:

Aye, jingoist nonsense. Firefighters, police, coastguard etc all risk their lives for the public good. Doctors and nurses save lives. Teachers educate for the betterment of society. Binmen stop us wading through our own refuse and reduce disease. The US fetishism of the military is toxic imo.

fartdad
Hob Nob Regular

by fartdad » 12 Aug 2023 15:00

A social credit score would be better way to divy up discounts. A binperson who tutors underprivileged children on the weekends get a larger discount than a copper who molested a woman. A retiree who spends her time making the local train station look nice gets a bigger discount than a drone operator who accidentally bombed a school bus full of children.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 12 Aug 2023 18:04

Not appearing for me..

The Green Programme

by The Green Programme » 13 Aug 2023 19:18

Snowflake Royal

Aye, jingoist nonsense. Firefighters, police, coastguard etc all risk their lives for the public good. Doctors and nurses save lives. Teachers educate for the betterment of society. Binmen stop us wading through our own refuse and reduce disease. The US fetishism of the military is toxic imo.

I think you’re somewhat missing the point.

Armed forces save and protect lives and preserve society generally.

They also undertake a great amount of work in providing help and saving lives overseas; all often at great risk to themselves.

I think our refuse collectors do a great job but unless your rubbish has some rather unusual content - it is unlikely that they are risking their lives in undertaking their role.

Retired people have paid the taxes all their lives that have built everything this country has…

If they’re doing anything else too …

Perhaps free entry; particularly if they’ve served in armed forces, fire, police or NHS emergency services.

Social credit…

Wow - and we can keep our entitlement records in our little red books…

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 13 Aug 2023 21:11

The Green Programme
Snowflake Royal

They also undertake a great amount of work in providing help and saving lives overseas; all often at great risk to themselves.

I think our refuse collectors do a great job but unless your rubbish has some rather unusual content - it is unlikely that they are risking their lives in undertaking their role.

Retired people have paid the taxes all their lives that have built everything this country has…

Perhaps free entry; particularly if they’ve served in armed forces, fire, police or NHS emergency services.

Social credit…

That's what the armed forces do in theory, but in practice they get sent off to some foreign country western countries have no business melding in. Invading Iraq, for example, wasn't about saving and protecting lives, it was about overthrowing a government Western nations didn't like. Of course the folk on the frontline didn't decide make that decision, it was a political one, but people joining the military know the risks when joining the armed forces. If we were talking about conscripts, then that changes the situation. The UK, and most developed countries, have mercenary militaries - the UK hasn't conscripted anyone since 1960 (with the last conscripts serving until 1963).

Typically, the only reason there's a discount for students and pensioners is because people in these groups (generally) have less disposable income than average and wouldn't be able to afford to attend; pensioners, as a group, having less disposable income is becoming less true over time though (when compared to younger adult groups). I don't support ticket discounts when it comes to jobs people may or may not have; I'd view it merely as a marketing stunt if we introduced discounts for armed forces members.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 13 Aug 2023 22:16

…. Back on topic, is this even confirmed l? On the OS the only away tickets showing for me is the sold out Exeter game.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 13 Aug 2023 22:27

Bit American for me.

+1. Thank you for your service and all that, and I'll certainly put a pound in the tin come November, and you've already got a better pension than me. This is surely a bridge too far.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 13 Aug 2023 23:10

CountryRoyal …. Back on topic, is this even confirmed l? On the OS the only away tickets showing for me is the sold out Exeter game.

I'm guessing the prices come from the Cambridge website; I don't think the club have said anything yet about this game.

The Green Programme

by The Green Programme » 14 Aug 2023 07:19

Clyde1998
The Green Programme
Snowflake Royal

Social credit…

That's what the armed forces do in theory, but in practice they get sent off to some foreign country western countries have no business melding in. Invading Iraq, for example, wasn't about saving and protecting lives, it was about overthrowing a government Western nations didn't like. Of course the folk on the frontline didn't decide make that decision, it was a political one, but people joining the military know the risks when joining the armed forces. If we were talking about conscripts, then that changes the situation. The UK, and most developed countries, have mercenary militaries - the UK hasn't conscripted anyone since 1960 (with the last conscripts serving until 1963).

Typically, the only reason there's a discount for students and pensioners is because people in these groups (generally) have less disposable income than average and wouldn't be able to afford to attend; pensioners, as a group, having less disposable income is becoming less true over time though (when compared to younger adult groups). I don't support ticket discounts when it comes to jobs people may or may not have; I'd view it merely as a marketing stunt if we introduced discounts for armed forces members.

With due respect, you clearly haven’t a clue about what our military personnel actually do.

With that in mind, It makes complete sense that you would come to your conclusion.

Our armed forces are there when they are needed and they serve us all.

And in my opinion should have a much reduced ticket price, along with our other, domestic emergency services personnel and the retired population.

Without the taxes paid by our retired population for the past decades there would be no schools or hospitals for the use of others today.

That is how our system works; in very general terms of course.

We could have a system that rewards those who have contributed the most to society, financially.

However, that would be the wealthiest and the most successful who would not need a discount and those of whom are fans, probably spend a great deal more than anyone else in the Club shop, on hospitality, season tickets and more.

The least we can do is acknowledge those who are retired and have contributed hundreds of thousands of pounds in taxes throughout their lives together with those who have and do risk their lives for the benefit of us all; when we need them to.

A demonstration of gratitude.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Aug 2023 08:44

Of course armed forces are there when they're needed and rightly so but they are only needed in the defence of a country they should not be there, as Clyde says, to be used, as they so often are, as a private aggressor acting on behalf of a load of scumbag politicians wanting to inflict pain, death and suffering on other members of the human race just for whatever the latest media narrative is.

Think the prices should be the prices and any discount on those should be for encouraging families to attend.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 14 Aug 2023 09:07

Cambridge >>> Reading atm. Right now I’d settle for a good point away from home.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Aug 2023 09:08

The Green Programme
Clyde1998
The Green Programme I think you’re somewhat missing the point.

Social credit…

With due respect, you clearly haven’t a clue about what our military personnel actually do.

With that in mind, It makes complete sense that you would come to your conclusion.

Our armed forces are there when they are needed and they serve us all.

And in my opinion should have a much reduced ticket price, along with our other, domestic emergency services personnel and the retired population.

Without the taxes paid by our retired population for the past decades there would be no schools or hospitals for the use of others today.

That is how our system works; in very general terms of course.

We could have a system that rewards those who have contributed the most to society, financially.

However, that would be the wealthiest and the most successful who would not need a discount and those of whom are fans, probably spend a great deal more than anyone else in the Club shop, on hospitality, season tickets and more.

The least we can do is acknowledge those who are retired and have contributed hundreds of thousands of pounds in taxes throughout their lives together with those who have and do risk their lives for the benefit of us all; when we need them to.

A demonstration of gratitude.

Classic boomer.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 14 Aug 2023 09:10

How many of us are staying at Ian's after the game?

IN x1

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 14 Aug 2023 09:48

Uke lives locally too

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 14 Aug 2023 10:01

Perhaps we could have a "Four in a Bed" style reality show experience where some of us stay with Uke and some stay with Ian.