Tickets have quietly been put on sale for all STHs. :shock:

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Cambridge (A)

by St Pauli » 14 Aug 2023 13:39

The Green Programme
Snowflake Royal
South Coast Royal I'm with St P here.

Armed Forces are quite well paid these days-why don't nurses and doctors get a concession as they save lives.?
I agree with youngsters as they are the future but students and oldies' concessions I don't agree with either despite being a grateful beneficiary of one of those at Reading. :wink:

Aye, jingoist nonsense. Firefighters, police, coastguard etc all risk their lives for the public good. Doctors and nurses save lives. Teachers educate for the betterment of society. Binmen stop us wading through our own refuse and reduce disease. The US fetishism of the military is toxic imo.

Armed forces undertake a great amount of work in providing help and saving lives overseas; all often at great risk to themselves.

I think our refuse collectors do a great job but unless your rubbish has some rather unusual content - it is unlikely that they are risking their lives in undertaking their role.

In terms of the most dangerous jobs armed forces don’t even make the top 10…

https://www.stocksigns.co.uk/top-10-mos ... s-jobs-uk/

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 14 Aug 2023 13:43

The Green Programme
Clyde1998
The Green Programme I think you’re somewhat missing the point.

Armed forces save and protect lives and preserve society generally.

They also undertake a great amount of work in providing help and saving lives overseas; all often at great risk to themselves.

I think our refuse collectors do a great job but unless your rubbish has some rather unusual content - it is unlikely that they are risking their lives in undertaking their role.

Retired people have paid the taxes all their lives that have built everything this country has…

If they’re doing anything else too …

Perhaps free entry; particularly if they’ve served in armed forces, fire, police or NHS emergency services.

Social credit…

Wow - and we can keep our entitlement records in our little red books…

That's what the armed forces do in theory, but in practice they get sent off to some foreign country western countries have no business melding in. Invading Iraq, for example, wasn't about saving and protecting lives, it was about overthrowing a government Western nations didn't like. Of course the folk on the frontline didn't decide make that decision, it was a political one, but people joining the military know the risks when joining the armed forces. If we were talking about conscripts, then that changes the situation. The UK, and most developed countries, have mercenary militaries - the UK hasn't conscripted anyone since 1960 (with the last conscripts serving until 1963).

Typically, the only reason there's a discount for students and pensioners is because people in these groups (generally) have less disposable income than average and wouldn't be able to afford to attend; pensioners, as a group, having less disposable income is becoming less true over time though (when compared to younger adult groups). I don't support ticket discounts when it comes to jobs people may or may not have; I'd view it merely as a marketing stunt if we introduced discounts for armed forces members.

With due respect, you clearly haven’t a clue about what our military personnel actually do.

With that in mind, It makes complete sense that you would come to your conclusion.

Our armed forces are there when they are needed and they serve us all.

And in my opinion should have a much reduced ticket price, along with our other, domestic emergency services personnel and the retired population.

Without the taxes paid by our retired population for the past decades there would be no schools or hospitals for the use of others today.

That is how our system works; in very general terms of course.

We could have a system that rewards those who have contributed the most to society, financially.

However, that would be the wealthiest and the most successful who would not need a discount and those of whom are fans, probably spend a great deal more than anyone else in the Club shop, on hospitality, season tickets and more.

The least we can do is acknowledge those who are retired and have contributed hundreds of thousands of pounds in taxes throughout their lives together with those who have and do risk their lives for the benefit of us all; when we need them to.

A demonstration of gratitude.

The inclusion of emergency services makes your argument stronger imo, but Cambridge aren’t offering that are they? They’re just offering it to armed forces. As other posters have mentioned- this is jingoistic militaristic nonsense.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 14 Aug 2023 15:02

Sutekh Of course armed forces are there when they're needed and rightly so but they are only needed in the defence of a country they should not be there, as Clyde says, to be used, as they so often are, as a private aggressor acting on behalf of a load of scumbag politicians wanting to inflict pain, death and suffering on other members of the human race just for whatever the latest media narrative is.

Think the prices should be the prices and any discount on those should be for encouraging families to attend.

This last line is where I stand.

The Green Man makes it sound as though the military do what they do unpaid as some kind of charity work.
They do a great job but are reasonably (could be more for the other ranks) well paid for a job (no conscription these days) that they have chosen so I don't feel that they are in some way more deserving than for other jobs and a discount on admission to somewhere that they want to spend their leisure time isn't warranted.

Just out of interest I know that nurses get the odd discount on things, do the military get to go to other entertainment such as the pictures or the theatre or a gig at discounted costs?

The Green Programme

by The Green Programme » 14 Aug 2023 16:08

South Coast Royal
Sutekh Of course armed forces are there when they're needed and rightly so but they are only needed in the defence of a country they should not be there, as Clyde says, to be used, as they so often are, as a private aggressor acting on behalf of a load of scumbag politicians wanting to inflict pain, death and suffering on other members of the human race just for whatever the latest media narrative is.

Think the prices should be the prices and any discount on those should be for encouraging families to attend.

The Green Man makes it sound as though the military do what they do unpaid as some kind of charity work.
They do a great job but are reasonably (could be more for the other ranks) well paid for a job (no conscription these days) that they have chosen so I don't feel that they are in some way more deserving than for other jobs and a discount on admission to somewhere that they want to spend their leisure time isn't warranted.

Just out of interest I know that nurses get the odd discount on things, do the military get to go to other entertainment such as the pictures or the theatre or a gig at discounted costs?

Only wars

The Green Programme

by The Green Programme » 14 Aug 2023 16:14

St Pauli
The Green Programme
Clyde1998 That's what the armed forces do in theory, but in practice they get sent off to some foreign country western countries have no business melding in. Invading Iraq, for example, wasn't about saving and protecting lives, it was about overthrowing a government Western nations didn't like. Of course the folk on the frontline didn't decide make that decision, it was a political one, but people joining the military know the risks when joining the armed forces. If we were talking about conscripts, then that changes the situation. The UK, and most developed countries, have mercenary militaries - the UK hasn't conscripted anyone since 1960 (with the last conscripts serving until 1963).

Typically, the only reason there's a discount for students and pensioners is because people in these groups (generally) have less disposable income than average and wouldn't be able to afford to attend; pensioners, as a group, having less disposable income is becoming less true over time though (when compared to younger adult groups). I don't support ticket discounts when it comes to jobs people may or may not have; I'd view it merely as a marketing stunt if we introduced discounts for armed forces members.

With due respect, you clearly haven’t a clue about what our military personnel actually do.

With that in mind, It makes complete sense that you would come to your conclusion.

Our armed forces are there when they are needed and they serve us all.

And in my opinion should have a much reduced ticket price, along with our other, domestic emergency services personnel and the retired population.

Without the taxes paid by our retired population for the past decades there would be no schools or hospitals for the use of others today.

That is how our system works; in very general terms of course.

We could have a system that rewards those who have contributed the most to society, financially.

However, that would be the wealthiest and the most successful who would not need a discount and those of whom are fans, probably spend a great deal more than anyone else in the Club shop, on hospitality, season tickets and more.

The least we can do is acknowledge those who are retired and have contributed hundreds of thousands of pounds in taxes throughout their lives together with those who have and do risk their lives for the benefit of us all; when we need them to.

A demonstration of gratitude.

The inclusion of emergency services makes your argument stronger imo, but Cambridge aren’t offering that are they? They’re just offering it to armed forces. As other posters have mentioned- this is jingoistic militaristic nonsense.

No - it’s just a demonstration of gratitude to those who deserve it.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 14 Aug 2023 16:19

The Green Programme
South Coast Royal

Only wars

Not what I would call entertainment.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 14 Aug 2023 16:22

The Green Programme
South Coast Royal

Only wars

The data doesn’t lie TGP- it’s not a very dangerous job. The UK very rarely gets involved in wars, and even more rarely involved in a war with an enemy that has anywhere near the same level of tech and firepower. Usually they just get involved in shitty little wars with teenage goat herders armed with antiquated pea shooters. And even then the vast majority of the armed forces aren’t involved in these wars, let alone in a front line combat.

The Green Programme

by The Green Programme » 14 Aug 2023 16:24

Exactly - and It’s a good job that we have a military to defend against those regimes that would happily act in the way that you suggest.

As for family discounts, I agree - this is something that I would welcome.

The bottom line is the more people - the more money spent for the benefit of our club - the better the experience and the better the support.

The Green Programme

by The Green Programme » 15 Aug 2023 19:21

St Pauli
The Green Programme
South Coast Royal

Only wars

The data doesn’t lie TGP- it’s not a very dangerous job. The UK very rarely gets involved in wars, and even more rarely involved in a war with an enemy that has anywhere near the same level of tech and firepower. Usually they just get involved in shitty little wars with teenage goat herders armed with antiquated pea shooters. And even then the vast majority of the armed forces aren’t involved in these wars, let alone in a front line combat.

As I said, you clearly do not know what our military do or for whose benefit.

But thank you for sharing this.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 15 Aug 2023 20:30

The Green Programme
St Pauli
The Green Programme
Only wars

Then explain it to me champ!

Hopefully we’ll soon get an annual gushing celebrity fanfare, public memorial events, endless tv documentaries, films and tv series, news items, vox pops and all the rest of it, for all the construction workers who die every year. Maybe those construction veterans who have risked their lives and served bravely in our building industry will one day get discounted entry to league one football matches? Maybe one day we’ll value the act of constructing homes for people as much as the act of destroying them.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Aug 2023 19:38

Isn’t the extent of British military interventions for our own people/territory other than the odd Sudanesque evacuation in the last 50 odd years the Troubles (eek controversial) and Falklands...

Iraq 1 - Kuwait
Iraq 2 - US agenda
Bosnia etc - UN peacekeeping etc.
Afghan - US agenda

There are of course other UN and similar peacekeeping actions.

Prior to that there's the rather poorly thought out colonial action against Egypt. There's Korea, but that's just anti-communist.

EDIT: Why did I fall back into this nonsense. :roll:

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 16 Aug 2023 20:43

We've only sold 485 for this one so far - seems people aren't that excited about going to a Monday night game on Sky two hours from Reading for some reason.

The Green Programme

by The Green Programme » 17 Aug 2023 09:27

Snowflake Royal Isn’t the extent of British military interventions for our own people/territory other than the odd Sudanesque evacuation in the last 50 odd years the Troubles (eek controversial) and Falklands...

Iraq 1 - Kuwait
Iraq 2 - US agenda
Afghan - US agenda

Prior to that there's the rather poorly thought out colonial action against Egypt. There's Korea, but that's just anti-communist.

I am not responsible for your nonsense.

The Green Programme

by The Green Programme » 17 Aug 2023 09:46

The Green Programme
Snowflake Royal Isn’t the extent of British military interventions for our own people/territory other than the odd Sudanesque evacuation in the last 50 odd years the Troubles (eek controversial) and Falklands...

Iraq 1 - Kuwait
Iraq 2 - US agenda
Afghan - US agenda

I am not responsible for your nonsense.

Although clearly anything anti-communist or anti-fascist (essentially both slightly different versions of the same terrible things; justification of theft, corruption and violence, mass murder, starvation, destruction of anything worthwhile, removal of human empathy whilst claiming to promote it, false imprisonment etc etc - the usual totalitarian nonsense) - clearly was and remains totally worthwhile.

Action which, of course, has led to us enjoying our ability to, for example, communicate freely… as well as so many other things .. well, almost everything

But that still doesn’t cover the things our military do every day both here and around the world which provides huge benefit to vast amounts of people.

Oh, and our military are pretty good at stopping the bad guys, each time they try and get their hands on our stuff.

With only 400 or so away fans travelling (thus far) we could do with a little something to encourage more to travel?

Perhaps a few wins will do it.

The Green Programme

by The Green Programme » 17 Aug 2023 10:05

St Pauli
The Green Programme
St Pauli

Hopefully we’ll soon get an annual gushing celebrity fanfare, public memorial events, endless tv documentaries, films and tv series, news items, vox pops and all the rest of it, for all the construction workers who die every year. Maybe those construction veterans who have risked their lives and served bravely in our building industry will one day get discounted entry to league one football matches? Maybe one day we’ll value the act of constructing homes for people as much as the act of destroying them.

Indeed.

What about the veteran delivery drivers, who choose to serve on our roads - anyone who travels on our roads (the most dangerous of all mode of travel -according to the data) is risking their life every day - all to bring our essential stuff to our doors?

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 17 Aug 2023 11:42

The Green Programme
St Pauli
The Green Programme

Indeed.

What about the veteran delivery drivers, who choose to serve on our roads - anyone who travels on our roads (the most dangerous of all mode of travel -according to the data) is risking their life every day - all to bring our essential stuff to our doors?

I believe cycling is more dangerous but yes I can only +1 that.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 17 Aug 2023 23:26

NathStPaul Perhaps we could have a "Four in a Bed" style reality show experience where some of us stay with Uke and some stay with Ian.

Stop it ! "Four in a Bed" has got Ian stroking one out already

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 21 Aug 2023 11:37

I didn't think I'd be able to attend this but I completely forgot I already booked this week off work so I'll probably go now, again probably through STAR coaches, due to the price of trains, how is a return from Fleet to Cambridge £52? Public transport is not only a joke but a rip-off too.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 21 Aug 2023 11:46

tidus_mi2 I didn't think I'd be able to attend this but I completely forgot I already booked this week off work so I'll probably go now, again probably through STAR coaches, due to the price of trains, how is a return from Fleet to Cambridge £52? Public transport is not only a joke but a rip-off too.

Also there's no guarantee you'll actually be able to get a train with the strikes at the moment (trains could be cancelled at short notice). IIRC, it's only £20 for the coach to Cambridge. With the rail prices, it's almost like they don't want people to use the train network.