Wigan (A)

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

Wigan (A)

by Clyde1998 » 05 Jan 2024 19:11

Tomorrow marks two weeks until we play Wigan and the tickets for this one haven't gone on sale yet. I had a look on the Wigan website and they don't appear to be selling tickets to home fans. :?

Any ideas what's going on with this?

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Wigan (A)

by Brogue » 06 Jan 2024 09:12

Tickets not on sale yet

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 06 Jan 2024 10:07

We’ll do well to get 300 fans attending.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 06 Jan 2024 12:49

Did they sack the ticket office staff too?

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 06 Jan 2024 16:01

Clyde1998 Tomorrow marks two weeks until we play Wigan and the tickets for this one haven't gone on sale yet. I had a look on the Wigan website and they don't appear to be selling tickets to home fans. :?

Any chance of it being postponed?

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 06 Jan 2024 18:47

stealthpapes
Clyde1998 Tomorrow marks two weeks until we play Wigan and the tickets for this one haven't gone on sale yet. I had a look on the Wigan website and they don't appear to be selling tickets to home fans. :?

Any chance of it being postponed?

Had a look at the Wigan squad and they don’t have any players on international duty and the fourth round of the FA Cup is the following Saturday so no chance of the game being postponed for that. They’ve not put tickets on sale for their home game against Wycombe on the following Tuesday either; no news on the Wycombe website about tickets either.

Seems very short notice to put tickets on sale, although it’s not a game that will get anywhere near selling out (from the POV of both clubs). I’ve booked the coach regardless now.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 08 Jan 2024 13:34

Unbelievable :lol: Wigan can always forfeit the game, give us 3 points and save us fans and the club the cost of travel

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 08 Jan 2024 13:37

Yes, certainly doesn't seem like something going wrong on our end. Nothing coming from Wigan, which is a bit odd.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 08 Jan 2024 13:39

They do have Man Utd in the cup tonight which has probably taken up all of the resources. Wouldn't be reading that much into it.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 08 Jan 2024 17:05

It's not as if either the home or away ends will sell out for this one.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 10 Jan 2024 16:28

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2024/j ... formation/

Finally on sale. An initial allocation of 512.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 10 Jan 2024 16:39

I know it was only Man Utd they were up against but Wigan seemed to have a helluva lot more about them than we do.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 10 Jan 2024 16:40

Royal Rother I know it was only Man Utd they were up against but Wigan seemed to have a helluva lot more about them than we do.

They certainly didn't when we played them a couple of weeks ago.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 10 Jan 2024 16:49

I am going to this one as I haven’t been to the DW Stadium before and I’ll be up in Chesterfield. Stupidly, I thought it would be about an hour on the train, but now I have bothered to check it’s going to be a bit of pain. I can’t be bothered to drive so it’ll be trains, buses and taxis.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 10 Jan 2024 18:37

blythspartan I am going to this one as I haven’t been to the DW Stadium before and I’ll be up in Chesterfield. Stupidly, I thought it would be about an hour on the train, but now I have bothered to check it’s going to be a bit of pain. I can’t be bothered to drive so it’ll be trains, buses and taxis.

I would have thought doable with one change in Manchester? EMR tren to Manchester, Manchester to Wigan. May need to change stations in Manchester. But looked on trainline and .. well I'm glad I'm starting further north that day. Godspeed.

Anyway, IN!

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 10 Jan 2024 19:09

We appear to have sold ~288 in the brief few hours the tickets have been on sale - so over half our initial allocation. I imagine a decent number of people wanting to go might not even be aware the tickets have gone on sale yet.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 10 Jan 2024 19:24

stealthpapes
blythspartan I am going to this one as I haven’t been to the DW Stadium before and I’ll be up in Chesterfield. Stupidly, I thought it would be about an hour on the train, but now I have bothered to check it’s going to be a bit of pain. I can’t be bothered to drive so it’ll be trains, buses and taxis.

I would have thought doable with one change in Manchester? EMR tren to Manchester, Manchester to Wigan. May need to change stations in Manchester. But looked on trainline and .. well I'm glad I'm starting further north that day. Godspeed.

Anyway, IN!

I had a look myself and it appears you have to do Chesterfield -> Sheffield -> Manchester Piccadilly -> Wigan North Western and get to the ground after that. Google Maps reckons you'd have to leave at 10:11 to get to Wigan North Western at 13:03, plus a half-hour walk to get to the ground. :shock:

There appears to be an alternative route that goes Chesterfield -> Derby -> Birmingham New Street -> Wigan North Western where you'd have to leave at 10:48 and get to Wigan North Western at 13:37. Route 1 is 2 hours, 52 minutes; route 2 is 2 hours, 49 minutes - so basically the same.

The most direct train from Reading appears to leave at 10:15 and get to Wigan North Western at 13:37 (with a change at Stafford); 3 hours, 22 minutes - so only around 30 minutes longer.

Seems a complete joke that Reading to Wigan is somehow only 30 minutes longer than Chesterfield to Wigan by train.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 10 Jan 2024 20:16

Some local info.

The walk to the ground from the station goes past Wigan Pier but don't bother. it's quicker to go to the left where the road splits and go via the canal tow path just over the bridge than go right on the road and around Asda/Retail park.

I would have suggested a detour to Trencherfield Mill but sadly it's currently closed.
https://www.wigan.gov.uk/Resident/Museu ... ngine.aspx

For Papes, my pub of choice in the centre is the John Bull Chophouse but en route is the Swan - a tatty old style pub that will probably close soon, and Wigan Central, a relatively newish real ale house in the railway arches.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 11 Jan 2024 12:09

Clyde1998
stealthpapes

Anyway, IN!

I had a look myself and it appears you have to do Chesterfield -> Sheffield -> Manchester Piccadilly -> Wigan North Western and get to the ground after that. Google Maps reckons you'd have to leave at 10:11 to get to Wigan North Western at 13:03, plus a half-hour walk to get to the ground. :shock:

There appears to be an alternative route that goes Chesterfield -> Derby -> Birmingham New Street -> Wigan North Western where you'd have to leave at 10:48 and get to Wigan North Western at 13:37. Route 1 is 2 hours, 52 minutes; route 2 is 2 hours, 49 minutes - so basically the same.

The most direct train from Reading appears to leave at 10:15 and get to Wigan North Western at 13:37 (with a change at Stafford); 3 hours, 22 minutes - so only around 30 minutes longer.

Seems a complete joke that Reading to Wigan is somehow only 30 minutes longer than Chesterfield to Wigan by train.

East-west travel is rarely great once you're out of the South.

There's definitely an EMR train every hour.
Chesterfield -> Manchester Oxford Road 10.22 to 11.39
Manchester Oxford Road --> Wigan Wallgate 12.08 to 12.48

For Papes, my pub of choice in the centre is the John Bull Chophouse but en route is the Swan - a tatty old style pub that will probably close soon, and Wigan Central, a relatively newish real ale house in the railway arches.

Last season, I did a solid 6 before kick off. John Bull Chophouse a very good shout also liked the cluster of pubs and micropubs just north of the city centre. The Swan is the one right by North-Western, old hotel? yeah, nicely atmospheric. I liked Wigan as a place, tbh, friendly locals, not as rundown as it could be, about £3.60 a pint last time.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 11 Jan 2024 12:54

Clyde1998
stealthpapes

Anyway, IN!

Cheers for the info.

I have got my ticket, but I couldn’t believe how long it’ll take by train. It looks like for part of the journey there’ll be replacement buses. I should just drive really, but I get sick of driving at times.