New home shirt ..... shite quality

Royal Monk

New home shirt ..... shite quality

by Royal Monk » 05 Aug 2006 16:42

Bought mine yesterday , returned it today because the stitching around the neck was shite and coming apart. While in the megastore i bumped into 2 friends who had bought 4 new home shirts for them and their kids.I advised them to check theres and 2 out of the 4 where faulty ,they had allready been printed on (name and number and premiership patches).
The salesperson in the megastore was very helpfull and opened new bags of shirts for them .... the first 6 they opened where all faulty

So when you buy the new home shirt , check the stitching around the neck and save yourself a return journey !

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 05 Aug 2006 17:45

B*gger - wish I had read this earlier. My wife made a detour to get them for the kids today (they were keen to have the first shirt RFC have ever worn in the Premiership). Will be mighty peed off if we now find they (the shirts not the kids before anyone is tempted to come up with that one!) are faulty.

Only had to make the trip because as usual the club couldn't organise a party in a brewery in terms of sending the vouchers out on time and we will probably be away on holiday if/when they finally arrive.

How appropriate that the kit is falling apart at the seams!

Sam Tubber

by Sam Tubber » 05 Aug 2006 17:59

It's very unusual for RFC to sell substandard goods.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 05 Aug 2006 18:05

Sam Tubber It's very unusual for RFC to sell substandard goods.
what about Andy Hughes?

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 05 Aug 2006 18:15

what about Andy Hughes?

:lol: :lol: comedy genius!!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 05 Aug 2006 18:58

Confirmed, the quality of the new kit appears to be absolute crap. It makes Kit@ look like a Bentley. Puma should be utterly ashamed of themselves.

Every shirt on display appeared to be faulty/damaged. In 'technical' terms the problem seems to stem from the fact that the neck is too tight and they have not used a stretch stitch on the front of the neckline. Result: As people pull the shirt over their head, the stitching snaps and the neckline starts to come undone! This leads to snags/runs. Also the seam that joins the arm to the body of the shirt appears weak.

Other problems included ladders in the material, white dots on the solid blue back where a white thread had pulled through and other areas where the blue dye didn't appear to have taken to the material.

Even if you find an apparently good shirt out of a bag (one of ours had a dirt mark on, even though it had come straight out of a sealed bag) in my view chances are that it will start to come undone after just a couple of wearings.

Good job the Premiership is less physical because if the players were wearing the same shirts in the lower divisions I reckon the opponents would rip them off their backs on a regular basis!

If the club had any sense at all, they would withdraw the whole batch from sale, give Puma an almighty b*ll*cking and insist that they sort the quality issues in record sharp time.

Meantime, expect a long queue at the returns counter.

All the above is a personal opinion (and that of my wife who studied textiles as a major part of her degree and now teaches the subject) but take a good look before forming your own.

Y25

by Y25 » 05 Aug 2006 19:31

mine is fine - although i drenched in bbq sauce earlier

peeping_bernal

by peeping_bernal » 05 Aug 2006 23:51

why do you think they are giving us money off, they knew this. As for being tight over the head this is not a problem as Sir Steve will not let any of our players get big headed.

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 06 Aug 2006 00:40

what about Andy Hughes?

especially at such a premier price! :lol:

Alan Titchmarsh

Re: New home shirt ..... shite quality

by Alan Titchmarsh » 06 Aug 2006 08:15

Royal Monk Bought mine yesterday , returned it today because the stitching around the neck was shite and coming apart. While in the megastore i bumped into 2 friends who had bought 4 new home shirts for them and their kids.I advised them to check theres and 2 out of the 4 where faulty ,they had allready been printed on (name and number and premiership patches).
The salesperson in the megastore was very helpfull and opened new bags of shirts for them .... the first 6 they opened where all faulty

So when you buy the new home shirt , check the stitching around the neck and save yourself a return journey !

Given the large quantities detailed above one would hope that the club would now check every shirt for this problem.......

Warfield Royal

by Warfield Royal » 06 Aug 2006 08:27

Are the faults obvious to see as the shirt comes out of the bag or do you need to wear it so that the stitching is stretched before the fault appears?

Yahoops

by Yahoops » 06 Aug 2006 09:38

I was thinking of upgrading my Autotrader shirt but now I have read this, I think it should see out another season ;)

Royal Monk

by Royal Monk » 06 Aug 2006 10:14

When you open the bag just check the stitching around the inside of the neck , particularly at the front where the stitching seems to be weak.If the stitching has broken the 2 pieces of material making the neck piece will gape open ....... if you try one on you can actually hear the stitching break as you pull the shirt over your head :shock:

Reading Abbey

by Reading Abbey » 06 Aug 2006 12:43

Royal Monk When you open the bag just check the stitching around the inside of the neck , particularly at the front where the stitching seems to be weak.If the stitching has broken the 2 pieces of material making the neck piece will gape open ....... if you try one on you can actually hear the stitching break as you pull the shirt over your head :shock:

I don't think I'll bother now. Far to many complaints thus far and I don't like wearing tops/shirts that are tight ish around the neck. I may just treat myself to some cloths in town instead!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 06 Aug 2006 14:13

Warfield Royal Are the faults obvious to see as the shirt comes out of the bag or do you need to wear it so that the stitching is stretched before the fault appears?

Some are obvious when they come out of the bag. If not, just give the front neckline a slight/gentle stretch* - if it's quiet around you, you may well hear the stitching snap.

* And it is only a slight/gentle stretch, such as you would get as you put the shirt on/take it off. Indeed, if you don't want to be accused of deliberately sabotaging/damaging the shirt, just put it on and then take it off again.

bloody Volvo driver

by bloody Volvo driver » 06 Aug 2006 14:55

Just purchased 3 shirts, 1 adult and 2 children's sizes. Can only emphasize the points already made, the neckline is so small that both the kid's sizes split the first time they tried to take off the shirts and as I type are on their way back to the Mad Stad.

Would appear to be a Friday afternoon design!

mydak

by mydak » 06 Aug 2006 15:11

it does say that it does have some bizarre design qualities, including the tight neck

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 06 Aug 2006 15:51

mydak it does say that it does have some bizarre design qualities, including the tight neck

Nor do they claim it is a quality product!

However, I suspect most people would be upset if they bought something this shoddy off their local market!

Puma might whinge about fake copies of their gear but the pirate industry would have to work damn hard to replicate the faults in this design/production run!!

The club should act fast to protect their own reputation and the interests of their customers by pulling the whole batch off the shelves, accompanied by an announcement pinning the blame 100% fairly and squarely on Puma.

Bring back Mizuno!

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 06 Aug 2006 16:05

I do wonder if this fault has anything to do with the "delays beyond their control" with these shirts.

Volvicanus
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Volvicanus » 06 Aug 2006 16:25

RoyalBlue
If the club had any sense at all, they would withdraw the whole batch from sale, give Puma an almighty b*ll*cking and insist that they sort the quality issues in record sharp time.

They will only do this is everyone that buys one that is substandard actually goes and gripes about the problem in some manner. Demand a refund - demand a better shirt. But if people keep buying them despite all this - the club will just do nothing.