Linked tickets - ST holders please ignore

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 24 Aug 2006 19:50

Indeed, Cmonurz. This is just transparently cynical stuff from RFC.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 25 Aug 2006 09:39

cmonurz Agree with Pie Eater that the member points system was set up to solve this problem of demand - and looking at the 6 or 7 or so different booking periods, only those with a fair number of points will be able to purchase United tickets anyway, and too right.

Forcing fans to spend twice as much money to secure such a ticket, however, is wrong.

At least we can all see this for what it is, it does beg the questions why have STAR gone along with it when it's obviously a policy that works against the average fan.

At least Reading Town might benefit from it all next season!

I've also just noticed that Wigan still only charge £4 for parking!!!!

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 25 Aug 2006 13:10

STAR Campaigns
Platypuss
STAR Campaigns Personally, I don't see any problem with this.

Anyone who is a Royals fan will be happy to have a chance to get a ticket for 2 games in one transaction - and because personal/phone callers can choose which 2 games to link together that's exactly what it is - the chance of not being able to make one of the smaller games shouldn't happen. (It's only on the web sales that you have to link the "big" game to a particular "small" game - and that's because of the way the software is at the moment - there's no other way to do this for web sales at the moment).

Wouldn't it be a good idea if the O/S actually agreed with you?

Tickets for the home games against Manchester United and Charlton Athletic will go on sale on Tuesday 29th August.

Manchester United visit Madejski Stadium on Saturday 23rd September, kick off 5:15pm, while the Charlton match takes place at 3pm on Saturday 18th November.

As well as a Royalty Points basis being used to prioritise ticket sales for these matches, the two games are linked so that they can only be purchased together.

For example, if you want to buy two tickets to Reading vs Man Utd, you will also have to book two tickets to the Charlton game.

A similar system will be used for future home Platinum category games - eg the Platinum game with Chelsea will be linked with the silver Bolton fixture. Sale dates will be announced as soon as possible.

http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,10306~887096,00.html

:!: In which case that's a change from the way it was going to be done last week! I'll see what I can find out....

Any news?

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 25 Aug 2006 13:27

It was highly unlikely I would be able to go to Man U because of a lack of points. But the thing that bothers me is the club trying to force the fans you to buy tickets for 2 games at the same time as if tickets werent expensive as it is.

Under this scheme those fans going to the Man U game will then snap up tickets for the games I can see (like the Boltons for example) at the same time which is yet another example of the club trying to make as much money as they can. With this kind of attitude if we get relegated we'll be down to the crowds we had before Xmas last year. Some long term planning is needed because if we get relegated we'll need those crowds to stop our finances going completely done the drain.

Royal Bison

by Royal Bison » 25 Aug 2006 14:24

I would have thought this was unnecessary as surely the Charlton match would sell out as will all our home games this season ?

Starry Blue Hooped Wonder

by Starry Blue Hooped Wonder » 25 Aug 2006 14:25

I am also appalled by this linking policy and the comments from STAR which appear to support it. While I am a STH myself, I have been looking on the 'less popular' games as an opportunity to continue the indoctrination of my young 6 yr old son. With 30 member points he obviously won't be able to get a ManU ticket, but my hope was that there are more likely to be tickets left for these 'less popular' games when the purchase barrier comes down to his points total.

So by introducing this scheme, it seems that RFC are introducing a barrier which prevents budding young fans going to these 'less popular' games and building their points totals up. This has got to be wrong, these youngsters will be the core fan base in 10 years time.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 25 Aug 2006 15:47

Royal Bison I would have thought this was unnecessary as surely the Charlton match would sell out as will all our home games this season ?

I'll have a fiver on none of our midweek games selling out. I have some floating RFC fans that are Liverpool supporters, they come along to mostly midweek games so it does not get in the way of trips to Anfield. They both have around 70-80 points on their member cards but the thought of paying £32 to watch us against Man City or Bolton is a no brainer. I think the club have overestimated the prices and underestimated how much people will rather sit at home and not spend the money

Spudulika

by Spudulika » 25 Aug 2006 15:56

I too am against this policy which does nothing to benefit fans but is designed solely to increase RFC revenues.

By forcing people to buy tickets they wouldn't have otherwise bought, it artificially increases demand for tickets, making it more difficult for those fans with fewer loyalty points to get to matches. So we have fans having tickets for matches they don't want to go to, and other fans who want tickets but can't get them!

I would like to see us increasing our fanbase so that there is real demand for future ground expansion etc, but this will have the effect of limiting tickets to a smaller number of regular fans.

It now looks like I won't be taking my exiled brother and his family to any matches this season :-(

susieroyal

by susieroyal » 25 Aug 2006 16:13

Huntley & Palmer
Royal Bison I would have thought this was unnecessary as surely the Charlton match would sell out as will all our home games this season ?

I'll have a fiver on none of our midweek games selling out. I have some floating RFC fans that are Liverpool supporters, they come along to mostly midweek games so it does not get in the way of trips to Anfield. They both have around 70-80 points on their member cards but the thought of paying £32 to watch us against Man City or Bolton is a no brainer. I think the club have overestimated the prices and underestimated how much people will rather sit at home and not spend the money

The club do seem to think that just because they have all had a Premiership pay rise, that the fans have too.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 25 Aug 2006 16:19

In the Championship floating fans based their decision on the opposition we faced, the prices were never a problem. The problem in the Premiership now is that some of the opposition has not increased in how attractive it is but the prices have increased hugely.

Dai Brainbocs
Hob Nob Regular

by Dai Brainbocs » 25 Aug 2006 23:01

I think they have massively miscalculated the price people will pay to watch teams outside the top eight or ten. In doing this they risk blowing the goodwill which would have made it worthwhile extending the stadium, which in turn would have expanded the supporter base etc etc in a virtuous circle.

peeping_bernal

by peeping_bernal » 25 Aug 2006 23:23

In the last 2 or 3 years the 'lesser' clubs have struggled to get full houses, and I would put us in that bracket at the moment, but in this linking scheme, for the lesser games families will not be able to bring their kids as there will be no tickets and these are the type of games new fans are blooded at so a right c**k up in my eyes.
You are unable to buy a Charlton ticket whitout buying a Manc U ticket. When I asked the question at the TO they looked at me horrified as I didn't want a M U ticket, asked if I was a Charlton fan (now thats an idea on how to get my dad a ticket go to Charlton!!) and then when they knew I was serious went and had a group conflab, came back all flustered and then said 'Oh we hadn't thought of that' Classic TO.
Maybe the best bet if you only want to see one of the games is take the cheapest hospiality pakage as it will cost not a lot more than the 2 games and you get a meal etc included, and a good different day out.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 26 Aug 2006 07:50

Maybe some one who knows how could do one of them petition things against the rip off that is RFC this season.

Will it just be me that puts NO money into RFC for the first season in over 40 years?

I am disappointed that STAR support this as well.

percy_freeman

by percy_freeman » 29 Aug 2006 19:14

Here's a reply I left on another thread that I think is related to this one too. If I get the chance next Monday when the loyalty level comes down to 100pts I will be buying 2 tickets of which I will be only too willing to pass on the Charlton tickets for face value!

I have been a Reading fan since circa 1969. I have watched RFC in Divisions 4,3,2,1 and the newly monicered Championship. I have been to Wembly twice to watch RFC but unfortunatly missed out on the Cardiff play-off final. I have visited such places as Twerton Park on a Tuesday night, Edgeley Park on a Thursday night and some real obscure non league grounds in winter months in the early FA Cup rounds.
Last year, I moved to Spain and missed out on undoubtably the greatest season my beloved RFC have ever had, although I did manage to make it back for the QPR game with the help of my daughters companies corporate hospitality.
I have waited as long as most on this board for this season and with 107 points on my member card was quite hopeful of getting a ticket for the Man Utd game. Yes I have chosen a big game and why not? I now find that to book tickets for this game, I have to also book tickets for the Charlton game.
I was prepared to spend around £150 for my flight and rough it on floors for the weekend to get to see Reading in the Premiership but unfortunatley I can't stay over in England for that long!

Wokingham via Waterloo

by Wokingham via Waterloo » 29 Aug 2006 21:48

Totally agree with Spudulika and others on this thread. I went to many home and away games from 97, dragging along and converting many first-timers and mates before making the leap to a season ticket, which I then didn't renew at exactly the point that loyalty points came in. Decision was made because I knew I wouldn't be able to come to many games due to wedding, baby, work and other personal commitments and travelling from London was getting tougher, especially midweek. As a result, I've barely any loyalty points, which is fine. This isn't a sob story.

I have no problem with my lack of royalty points stopping me from going to games which more dedicated supporters merit tickets for. However, now things have settled down for me I'd love to go to some prem games, and lesser teams are fine for me - I've fond memories of great games with even lesser teams in much lesser grounds! But the increasing cost of going to prem games is just crazy in the first place, and to find there's now a system that means I can't realistically access tickets anyway is mad.

What kind of marketing enterprise discounts its sub-standard product by forcing compulsory purchase alongside its premium goods when there is a viable market if the other goods are available at the right price? You've already got 18,000 people who have decided an ST is for them while others have plenty of good reasons to buy games individually without being necessarily fickle. I don't really blame Reading - football in general is going to disappear up its own fundament through unsustainable pricing. Proud as I am to be a Royal this year, it was always going to be a bittersweet experience and sadly it just got more bitter.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 29 Aug 2006 22:22

Wokingham via Waterloo What kind of marketing enterprise discounts its sub-standard product by forcing compulsory purchase alongside its premium goods when there is a viable market if the other goods are available at the right price?

Best, and most acurate post of the last week, which totally sums up the complete and utter contempt Reading Fooball Club have for its fans.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 30 Aug 2006 08:36

londinium
Wokingham via Waterloo What kind of marketing enterprise discounts its sub-standard product by forcing compulsory purchase alongside its premium goods when there is a viable market if the other goods are available at the right price?

Best, and most acurate post of the last week, which totally sums up the complete and utter contempt Reading Fooball Club have for its fans.

And the total lack of understanding they have of football fans.

Why the hell can't they manage to recruit decent business people who also love and understand football? They must exist (I'm sure there's a good few on this very forum) but maybe they can't survive on peanuts alone!

As for STAR - time for a rethink guys/ladies. It would appear you've allowed the smooth talkers at the club to hoodwink you over this linking scheme.

Maybe I am over cynical!! Howver, I feel that on occasions it wouldn't hurt STAR to have a small injection of cynicism in their dealings with the business administrators at the club.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 30 Aug 2006 08:59

STAR are hardly going to criticise the club for manipulating the royalty points system to their advantage as they are complicit in this. Ten points for joining STAR must has bolstered their members numbers and, as a result, their coffers.

Anyone looking for someone to stand up for the fans and their concerns is against the club is wasting their time looking in the direction of STAR.

Adrian's Fool

by Adrian's Fool » 30 Aug 2006 10:08

peeping_bernal You are unable to buy a Charlton ticket whitout buying a Manc U ticket. When I asked the question at the TO they looked at me horrified as I didn't want a M U ticket, asked if I was a Charlton fan (now thats an idea on how to get my dad a ticket go to Charlton!!) and then when they knew I was serious went and had a group conflab, came back all flustered and then said 'Oh we hadn't thought of that' Classic TO.

Until I read this I had thought it was pure speculation that you had to buy a Man U ticket if you were buying a Charlton ticket. This is MADNESS!!! What a c*ck up!!

notloyalenuffroyal

by notloyalenuffroyal » 30 Aug 2006 11:22

Wokingham via Waterloo

What kind of marketing enterprise discounts its sub-standard product by forcing compulsory purchase alongside its premium goods when there is a viable market if the other goods are available at the right price?

Too right!

Soon enough we will have merchandise in the shop linked.

To buy an away shirt you must buy a home shirt at the same time, but for more money!

GENIUS PLAN - I'll give the shop a ring!