Official Site News Policy

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
phil in cornwall

Official Site News Policy

by phil in cornwall » 25 Aug 2006 09:50

The OS seems to be operating a policy of 'good news only'.

After the Middlesborough game last Saturday the good news of a cracking win was posted immediately on the front page. And quite right too.

Looking at the site since Wednesday's disappointing defeat at Villa, the first page has remained unchanged. I am writing this on Friday (2 days later) and you have to go to the News page to get any new information.

Has it become club policy to only put good news on the front page? Will the Middlesborough report stay there until Reading's next win?

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 25 Aug 2006 10:15

Eh? Front page has plenty of new stuff.

Try refreshing your internet cache - control-F5

Philly Flyer

by Philly Flyer » 25 Aug 2006 10:17

You may be onto something as it cannot be a technical problem (which is what I thought earlier this week and posted on an earlier thread but was clarified by other helpful HNs). Anyone else know what's going on??

Philly Flyer

by Philly Flyer » 25 Aug 2006 10:21

Platypuss Eh? Front page has plenty of new stuff.

Which works but until this weekend the "Home Page" was automatically updating with "Latest News". I'm not a techy but just curious to know if there has been any changes in the way the site is set up.

phil in cornwall

by phil in cornwall » 25 Aug 2006 10:34

Platypuss Eh? Front page has plenty of new stuff.

You are right. I've done that and got a very different page.

I've never had to do this before, so I'm still wondering...

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 25 Aug 2006 11:23

Definitely a problem with the OS, which they haven't got around to/bothered fixing yet.

You should not need to be a computer buff and know about refreshing your internet cache to get the latest news when you enter the site.

phil in cornwall

by phil in cornwall » 25 Aug 2006 11:26

Perhaps my computer is becoming a Reading fan in its own right and just wanted to keep Saturday's page for a bit longer?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 25 Aug 2006 11:30

That's fine for you but mine's decided that it wants to keep hold of the 10-1 win in Sweden as a memory!

I didn't realise that Mickey Mouse had so many relatives and that they were particularly fond of working with monkeys trying to organise a party at Courages!

Warfield Royal

by Warfield Royal » 27 Aug 2006 22:59

RoyalBlue Definitely a problem with the OS, which they haven't got around to/bothered fixing yet.

You should not need to be a computer buff and know about refreshing your internet cache to get the latest news when you enter the site.

This type of problem is usually due to caching.

Caching is a technique used to save Internet bandwidth.

Your computer caches pages and graphics so that when you return to a page you can save bandwidth by not downloading all the content again.

If you use a router or proxy server on your local network then it could be caching content from the Internet for all the users of your local network.

Your Internet provider also uses caching to save bandwidth. Once one person fetches the content from a site the next person to visit the site receives the content from the Internet providers cache.

Then the Internet provider of the host site uses caching to save bandwidth.

Finally the host site uses front end caching to spare their servers having to dish up the same content over and over.

The problem could be at point between you and the host sites servers.

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1