Man City 9-11

Rhys The Royal

by Rhys The Royal » 04 Sep 2006 12:02

I'm sure the Man City fans would join in with a chant of USA USA, don't they have several american players e.g. Reyna?

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 04 Sep 2006 12:29

Rhys The Royal I'm sure the Man City fans would join in with a chant of USA USA, don't they have several american players e.g. Reyna?

They just signed DeMarcus Beasley, too.

Bring back the South bank

by Bring back the South bank » 04 Sep 2006 12:35

The year anniversary of major disasters should have a minute silence at football matches but thats about it IMO.

If it happened in any country apart from America it would have stopped 5 years ago.

Why should we stop to remember at a football match?

Americas disaster not ours.

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 04 Sep 2006 12:39

Bring back the South bank Americas disaster not ours.
It can't be denied that it's had a major impact on all our lives, not least the people of many different nationalities that died in the aircraft and towers.

Irvinchangeyaname

by Irvinchangeyaname » 04 Sep 2006 13:38

For me, a minutes silence is fine in the days after a big tragedy. However, there is only one that should be repeated year after year and that's rememberance.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 04 Sep 2006 13:41

Getting into world politics now but perhaps there should be an annual 'World against Terrorism Day' when all nations unite in two minutes silence to remember all of those killed in acts of terrorism.

Now just you watch Bliar pinch that idea for his own! :wink:

cheeryoleary

by cheeryoleary » 05 Sep 2006 19:28

I personally don't agree with an annual rememberance event at a British football match for the events on September the 11th. If the football season included the Summer, would you expect to have the same thing on or around the 7th of July? Perhaps not.

For some of the minutes silences, at matches and elsewhere, I feel they are appropriate.

For others, I feel that a forced minutes silence is not appropriate. If you want to remember and grieve, watch Stairwell B, or the French guys who were with one of the fire crews filming. Maybe take a flight to JFK and catch a bus downtown if you have the cash.

Sometimes I want to shout 'BOLLOX' when I don't feel that the minutes silence is appropriate, however I keep my trap shut for the benefit of others. In the case of a September the 11th minutes silence at the Madstad, this is what I will be thinking.

The sooner the Brits leave Iraq and Afghanistan, the safer I will feel.
Crap to the special relationship with America. The so called 'War on Terror' may be just, or may not be. I just don't want my country to be at war.

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 06 Sep 2006 13:32

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 06 Sep 2006 13:40

Quite frankly anyone that says 'it would show solidarity with the World/US' is a cock. What the f*ck does having a minutes silence because we have two American players mean? It's not a silence for them, they weren't personally involved in the tragedy.

Do we have a minutes silence if VE or Rememberance day falls on a match?

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 06 Sep 2006 19:10

Huntley & Palmer Quite frankly anyone that says 'it would show solidarity with the World/US' is a cock. What the f*ck does having a minutes silence because we have two American players mean? It's not a silence for them, they weren't personally involved in the tragedy.

Do we have a minutes silence if VE or Rememberance day falls on a match?

Presumably, we would observe the national silence at 11am on 11/11, if we were due to play at such a stupid time (didn't Everton and City play at 11:15 a year or two ago?). Otherwise, the national silence would already have been observed (one assumes), and so there would be no need to repeat it.

cheeryoleary

by cheeryoleary » 06 Sep 2006 19:39

M4 Junction 11 911

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 06 Sep 2006 20:53

Rhys The Royal I'm sure the Man City fans would join in with a chant of USA USA, don't they have several american players e.g. Reyna?

I'm sure they wouldn't.

Keeper

by Keeper » 07 Sep 2006 07:29

Bring back the South bank Americas disaster not ours.

Don't be so daft, this was not terrorism against America, it was terrorism against society in general, just as 7th July was.

Just because it was on American soil does not mean it was their disaster.

There are always going to be people who don't want to participate in a minutes silence but feel they should because its taboo not to, so thats why I agree with a minutes clapping in tribute and respect, that way if you don't want to observe it doesn't matter.

If there is a minutes silence then I will observe it, not because we have American internationals but because it was a world-wide tragedy and I will respect those who lost their lives just because they'd gone to work.

mydak

Re: Man City 9-11

by mydak » 07 Sep 2006 09:09

pieface I fooking hope not, football is not the place to enforce minute's silences for something like this IMHO. I don't remember one last year, why should five make any difference?

Is it so much to have a minute silence to pay respect to the familys who lost people i think a minute is no problem and we should do but i agree with the fact that 5 years shouldnt make a differance and that it all depends on what has happend in past years.[/quote]

yes it is
and no there shouldn't be one
why not do what my arab mates at uni did five years ago to celebrate?? jump up and down screaming and laughing???

mydak

by mydak » 07 Sep 2006 09:12

Scrappy
Rhys The Royal
Jerry St Clair
Farnborough Royal
M4 Junction 11
T.R.O.L.I.
Thomas L'Heureux Surely we don't want to give our fans an excuse to be silent?!

To be fair, the noise just after the minute silence finishes is quite impressive.

... starting with the Marcus chant.

That would be a fitting end

No, it would be toe-curling.

No, it would be a fitting end

It'd be a fitting end as it would show unity with the rest of the world.

it would show unity with one country, that is hated and despised by most of the rest of the world.
so not showing unity with the rest of the world at all
and being toe-curlingly embaressing

No Hoops
Hob Nob Regular

by No Hoops » 07 Sep 2006 09:26

As it's live on Sky, they may have an input. It will be beamed to the US after all

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 07 Sep 2006 12:39

mydak
why not do what my arab mates at uni did five years ago to celebrate?? jump up and down screaming and laughing???

The husband of a friend of mine was murdered in the Twin Towers on 9/11. I don't want a minutes silence. But nor do I want mates who think a callous, senseless act like this is worth celebrating.

And the invasion of Iraq was made after 9/11. So how would pulling out of Iraq and Afghanistan make us any safer?

mydak

by mydak » 07 Sep 2006 14:17

Hampshire Royal
mydak

The husband of a friend of mine was murdered in the Twin Towers on 9/11. I don't want a minutes silence. But nor do I want mates who think a callous, senseless act like this is worth celebrating.

And the invasion of Iraq was made after 9/11. So how would pulling out of Iraq and Afghanistan make us any safer?

say what???

i know i'm never big on context or anything like that but... thats a hell of a trip to take.

i actually got banned from a lecture course for refusing to say it was abad thing and pointing out the pontentially good parts of it. unfortunately none of them came to be

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 07 Sep 2006 16:09

mydak
Hampshire Royal
mydak

say what???

i know i'm never big on context or anything like that but... thats a hell of a trip to take.

i actually got banned from a lecture course for refusing to say it was abad thing and pointing out the pontentially good parts of it. unfortunately none of them came to be

It wasn't you that said about feeling safer if we pulled out of Iraq/Afghanistan, it was another intellectual heavyweight. I, too have a number of Arab (and other moslem) friends, all of whom expressed deep and profound regret for what was done in their name. Nobody I know celebrated the event, and nor would they be my mates for much longer if they had.

cheeryoleary

by cheeryoleary » 07 Sep 2006 17:41

Hampshire Royal So how would pulling out of Iraq and Afghanistan make us any safer?

In the minds of those fighting against US and UK troops, perhaps they might they be thinking 'If you invade my country, I will defend it'?

Would you fight for your country?