Buy-back con

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

Re: Buy-back con

by Platypuss » 07 Sep 2006 21:17

The Goat was fed The mythical buy-back scheme has now, apparently, been launched - and surprise, surprise, it won't be anything like we might have expected it to be.

Firstly, it will only operate for SOLD OUT games. Apparently it's about to be in operation for the Man City game.

Where are the details - they're leaving a bit late for anyone to make use of it before Monday!

peeping_bernal

by peeping_bernal » 07 Sep 2006 23:53

will the club extend the buy back scheme to members who have purchased linked tickets for the Charlton game as this will also be sold out and they have no intention of going? Maybe we coould start stocking ManU/Arsenal/Chelski etc merchandise so these people can still spend the vouchers at the club shop! :lol:

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 07 Sep 2006 23:59

Patch Man Utd run a scheme, the seller gets face value of the ticket, the buyer pays an admin charge on top to the club.

thats not my understanding of man utd's scheme

i understand they resell the seat at face value, they take off a handling fee then split the difference with the season ticket holder

so if they resell a ticket at £35 they take oiff a £3 andling fee, the season ticket holder gets £16 and the club gets the other £16.

this is great for the club as they have now effectively sold a £35 seat for £51

its good for the season ticket holder as they have £16 quid in their account for as seat they couldn't use that they can then use to save on next season's season ticket

win win

Sam Tubber

by Sam Tubber » 08 Sep 2006 00:05

Anybody who makes use of the buy-back facility is an out and out, dyed in the wool, plastic.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 08 Sep 2006 00:10

Sam Tubber Anybody who makes use of the buy-back facility is an out and out, dyed in the wool, plastic.

unfair

the buy back scheme is really good for people who live a long distance from the mad stad and cannot easily give/resell their season ticket to a friend on the odd occasion they can't make it

Sam Tubber

by Sam Tubber » 08 Sep 2006 00:21

weybridgewanderer
Sam Tubber Anybody who makes use of the buy-back facility is an out and out, dyed in the wool, plastic.

unfair

the buy back scheme is really good for people who live a long distance from the mad stad and cannot easily give/resell their season ticket to a friend on the odd occasion they can't make it

Don't buy a season ticket then doofus. There are plenty of people out there who would have bitten your hand off for it and would attend every match. We don't need part-time supporters.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 08 Sep 2006 00:35

Sam Tubber
weybridgewanderer

unfair

Don't buy a season ticket then doofus. There are plenty of people out there who would have bitten your hand off for it and would attend every match. We don't need part-time supporters.

don't assume i was taking about me, i'm only 30 minutes from the mad stad

its more the guys from plymouth and similar distances that come 95% of the time and on the ODD game they can't make it

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 08 Sep 2006 03:37

A voucher is just as good, just use it for a cup game or something.

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 08 Sep 2006 08:10

I'm just glad we are primarily a FOOTBALL club and not a ticket master outlet. Its good that its football we are good at and to be honest it makes it all the more amusing to see how people expect more and more, and by not managing their expectations feel they have have the right to start slagging the FOOTBALL club off when things aren't perfect. Maybe in everyone elses little world JM would personally drive around to everyones house and check to see whether you will be going to the game that day and if not offer you the cash for your ticket...Obviously Steve would be with him to make sure you got to tell him how you want the team to play.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 08 Sep 2006 08:38

Everbody seems to want the perfect scheme that suits them personally. Well it doesn't work that way and they do not have to offer this scheme at all.

Maybe after seeing this feedback they won't bother in future, because whatever they do they will get criticised for it.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Sep 2006 08:49

I really don't get people's problem here.

The wording quoted in the first post is standard for scheme's of this nature, it is open to interpretation but if you look har enough most T&C's are.

At the end of it all, the club have offered a scheme that they DO NOT need to offer to allow fans who have bought tickets to get something back should you not make it for any reason. No business would do this until they have sold all their own tickets to that isn't even an issue.

Goat - I'm sorry your out of pocket by nearly £400 but that was a risk you take. If you son can't get back then if the game's a sell out then at least you will be able to renew at a much lower rate next year.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 08 Sep 2006 08:54

Sam Tubber
weybridgewanderer

unfair

Stop fishing ST. It's inevitable that anyone with a life won't be able to make every home game of the season.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 08 Sep 2006 09:18

weybridgewanderer
Patch Man Utd run a scheme, the seller gets face value of the ticket, the buyer pays an admin charge on top to the club.

thats not my understanding of man utd's scheme

i understand they resell the seat at face value, they take off a handling fee then split the difference with the season ticket holder

so if they resell a ticket at £35 they take oiff a £3 andling fee, the season ticket holder gets £16 and the club gets the other £16.

this is great for the club as they have now effectively sold a £35 seat for £51

its good for the season ticket holder as they have £16 quid in their account for as seat they couldn't use that they can then use to save on next season's season ticket

win win

So, in this example, ManU are shown to pay the £16 (not even 50%) for something which actually has a market value of £35, more a case of lose win, surely?

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 08 Sep 2006 10:07

Barry the bird boggler So, in this example, ManU are shown to pay the £16 (not even 50%) for something which actually has a market value of £35, more a case of lose win, surely?

Or alternatively it is a win, win, win.

The ST holder wins because they are getting money back for a game they can't attend - it might not be the full value, but they did buy the ticket on the understanding they would be committed to every game so any clawback is a bonus.

The club wins because it gets some extra money for the ticket

Another supporter wins by getting a ticket for a game when they were hard to come by.

ps I am a ST holder and I think that the deal on offer looks pretty good. Principally because it means that this club is now filling the stadium at last.

anR

by anR » 08 Sep 2006 11:15

West Stand Man Another supporter wins by getting a ticket for a game when they were hard to come by.

ps I am a ST holder and I think that the deal on offer looks pretty good. Principally because it means that this club is now filling the stadium at last.

This is a factor I don't think the club considers. Do they? They get the full seasons games paid for up front with a season ticket, so they probably wouldn't be upset if every Reading STH attended a wedding on exactly the same day as the Man Utd game.

Or would they?

Of course the would as it has been proven that with a fan in as many seats as possible the performance on the pitch improves and the players know and appreciate this.

Reading are in new ground and new systems take time to be implimented. If the alternative is vouchers to use for future games and/or stuff in the shop, surely the first step is to make this avaliable to all games, not just Platinum or sold out ones.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Sep 2006 11:24

anR
West Stand Man Another supporter wins by getting a ticket for a game when they were hard to come by.

This is a factor I don't think the club considers. Do they? They get the full seasons games paid for up front with a season ticket, so they probably wouldn't be upset if every Reading STH attended a wedding on exactly the same day as the Man Utd game.

Or would they?

Of course the would as it has been proven that with a fan in as many seats as possible the performance on the pitch improves and the players know and appreciate this.

Reading are in new ground and new systems take time to be implimented. If the alternative is vouchers to use for future games and/or stuff in the shop, surely the first step is to make this avaliable to all games, not just Platinum or sold out ones.

I'm sorry but really can't have a decent grasp of business if you believe that last point.

No company are ever going to buy back tickets from fans unless they know they have a good chance of selling that seat. If for example, you know you can't make the Blackburn game but the club haven't sold the 2000 odd seats available for that game they end up in the situation whereby they have unsold seats but are then giving back future revenue in the way of vouchers.

It does not make sense at all. A game has to be sold out for this system to be worthwhile to all parties.

Lamberts Tipple

by Lamberts Tipple » 08 Sep 2006 11:34

As it was explained to me yesterday, I will only get the voucher if the club sold the ticket. I was a bit miffed at the time, but I having read the thread I am more relaxed. Star Liaison makes good points and I think that the grey market alternatives are the better option.

My kids aren't aloud to go to Monday's game, both are under 10 and have school the next day. Upgraded one of their tickets so that I can take the wife and offered the other to my neighbour. But he is away. Buy back seemed a good idea. Previously the seat would have been empty. Given that the club say that the game is now sold out, it will be interesting to see if I get the £5 back.

Next, time I'll try harder to shift it myself.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 08 Sep 2006 11:35

Stranded
I'm sorry but really can't have a decent grasp of business if you believe that last point.

No company are ever going to buy back tickets from fans unless they know they have a good chance of selling that seat. If for example, you know you can't make the Blackburn game but the club haven't sold the 2000 odd seats available for that game they end up in the situation whereby they have unsold seats but are then giving back future revenue in the way of vouchers.

It does not make sense at all. A game has to be sold out for this system to be worthwhile to all parties.

Absolutely right. The trouble is that some of the other halfwits who comment on this message board couldn't persude the Dragons Den to lend them a five for a burger let alone have any inclination about running a multi million pound business (note for anr - RFC is a multi million pound business not a charity, or perhaps you hadn't noticed?)

anR

by anR » 08 Sep 2006 11:36

Stranded I'm sorry but really can't have a decent grasp of business if you believe that last point.

Yeah, I'm not looking at it from a business perspective at all. I know the club are doing the most sensible, as sure as I know that not every single STH will all miss the same game.

I was just considering the fact that there will always be empty seats at games and just my personal wish to have someone in these if possible.

Just make sure you arrange something with a friend if you know you can not make a game people! ;)

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Sep 2006 11:37

anR
Stranded I'm sorry but really can't have a decent grasp of business if you believe that last point.

Yeah, I'm not looking at it from a business perspective at all. I know the club are doing the most sensible, as sure as I know that not every single STH will all miss the same game.

I was just considering the fact that there will always be empty seats at games and just my personal wish to have someone in these if possible.

Just make sure you arrange something with a friend if you know you can not make a game people! ;)

Already have a list of 3 or 4 people who the ticket will go to if I can't. :wink: