Car parking chaos

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 14 Sep 2006 08:21

royalsteve time has nothing to do with it.....they were genuine custs.....say that when u left u wanted to go to town but traffic was bad and decided to walk/taxi/bus to town instead or greyhound racing and decided to leave the car there.........

I don't think you need to justify it at all. You made a purchase therefore you were entitled to park there.

mathematically_safe
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: keeping wicket for the quakers in my joy division oven gloves

by mathematically_safe » 15 Sep 2006 12:11

we park at the STAR car park at the primary school. A parking space is guaranteed. Two home games thus far - no probs at all. It's a 20 min walk but that's all good exercise and gives us time to look forward to being ripped off for the beer in a placcy glass/discuss the game on the way home.

I think there are still spaces availiable - £80 a season

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 15 Sep 2006 13:08

Lucky old me - Turning up late after horrendous traffic I parked in the retail park (B&Q end) and got away fine/ticket/clamp free!!

However I may not try that next time around given tickets were issued to some..

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Sep 2006 13:13

Not sure if that has been mentioned anywhere else but if anybody wants to park at the Greyhound Stadium for the Man Utd game - it will cost you £15 and there will only be 150 spaces.

You do get entry to the dogs thrown in though.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 15 Sep 2006 13:13

Jerry St Clair
royalsteve time has nothing to do with it.....they were genuine custs.....say that when u left u wanted to go to town but traffic was bad and decided to walk/taxi/bus to town instead or greyhound racing and decided to leave the car there.........

I don't think you need to justify it at all. You made a purchase therefore you were entitled to park there.

It depends on the terms and conditions of parking there. If they stipulate that only certain people can park then your purchase entitles you only to that restricted parking. So, if the Greyhound Stadium only wants its own customers to use the facility, it is well within its rights to lock up the gates a reasonable time after the racing is finished - and if football fans are trapped inside that is tough.

Every season there is a problem at Costco for evening games when people park there and find the store has closed before the game finishes, leaving them stuck inside the barrier. This will keep being a problem until there is a rail link to help get some people closer than the town centre, and a few more parking spaces.

Green Park is not the solution on its own, as the access is limited to the two routes, one at each end of the stadium. If an additional entry/exit could be built onto the M4 or the Burghfield road at the back that might help.

Closing the HP/Compaq car park is madness until an alternative location is found for the cars that go there. If Worldcom (or whoever now own that building) would allow the huge car park there to be used that would go a long way to easing the traffic, as it would then not all be turning right at the Courage Roundabout on the way in, which is what causes the queue to back up to the M4 and 3 Mile Cross.

Another (sensibly priced) P&R would not go amiss either. Possibly on the 3 Mile Cross side of the M4 to keep cars off the junction.

Tutti Frutti

by Tutti Frutti » 15 Sep 2006 13:41

West Stand Man Another (sensibly priced) P&R would not go amiss either. Possibly on the 3 Mile Cross side of the M4 to keep cars off the junction.

The obvious choice is to change the P+R at the showcase so that the buses run to the Madejski rather than town on matchdays - along the road past shire hall. All the traffic for there would then come off at J10 as opposed to J11.

Katy 1971

by Katy 1971 » 15 Sep 2006 13:43

HalftimePasty Arrived early, parked up at Pizza Hut. Took a look at the traffic and decided to gamble on leaving the car there after eating (heh, we paid our money for our pizza, surely we get to park....)

Got £40 ticket.

Now, I fully expect to be told thats what I should expect with all those "NO STADIUM PARKING" signs.

Anyone else got a ticket from there and tried appealing? I figure as I have a pizza hut receipt ...

I got ticketed two seasons ago - without proof to back up my actions i wrote to them saying i was visiting B&Q and they wrote back to let me off.

I now park there - walk into B&Q - get myself some batteries for £0.99 and walk out again. If i get a ticket I walk back into B&Q (if Saturday game) and buy some more. That way your covered.

HTH

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 15 Sep 2006 13:50

West Stand Man If Worldcom (or whoever now own that building) would allow the huge car park there to be used that would go a long way to easing the traffic, as it would then not all be turning right at the Courage Roundabout on the way in, which is what causes the queue to back up to the M4 and 3 Mile Cross.

You mean Verizon. As far as I am aware there is no chance of that ever happening and they are not threatening to clamp anyone who parks at the front of the building.

If you have a security pass to get into the car park you do get the choice of hundreds of empty parking places though. :wink:

TommyF
Location: sitting on the dock of the bay, watching the royals sail away

by TommyF » 18 Sep 2006 16:04

RoyalBlue But the council didn't miss the opportunity to use their powers to steal some of our parking by insisting that we turn it over to park and ride!
Which can be very usefull on matchdays if you work in central Reading. I park up in the park and ride at 8.40 in the morning, don't pay to park and just pay for the bus. Return with the football mob in the evening, watch the game then back in the car to listen to BBCRB and catch a kip and wait for the car parks to start emptying.