Stadium Objection

173 posts
Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 30 Apr 2007 11:29

royal goof Say Ikea planned to build a new store by Wycombe Royals house and then said 'we wont be putting in any parking, but will rely improve bus services and in any case there's lots of parking at WR's driveway to use' - i'm sure there would be uproar!

Indeed, although I think the RFC case did address things in a little more detail than that !

I think the station is key and it was interesting to see the application for Green Park village the other week. Station all included and slated to open in October 2008 ! Looked to me that the Pru were trying to be smart and push their houses through knowing the station is needed for the football.

royal goof

by royal goof » 30 Apr 2007 11:29

Wycombe Royal
royal goof Say Ikea planned to build a new store by Wycombe Royals house and then said 'we wont be putting in any parking, but will rely improve bus services and in any case there's lots of parking at WR's driveway to use' - i'm sure there would be uproar!

There is nothing like a good old hypothetical situation that has no relation to the situation being discussed.

:lol: a bit of light hearted-ness

Murtys Right Foot

by Murtys Right Foot » 30 Apr 2007 11:32

Just leaving now to get to tonight's game in time :D

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 30 Apr 2007 11:33

royal goof
Wycombe Royal

There is nothing like a good old hypothetical situation that has no relation to the situation being discussed.

:lol: a bit of light hearted-ness

If they planned to make me the store manager and pay me huge amounts of money I would have no complaints, although they may have a few problems finding a suitable site.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 30 Apr 2007 11:33

Not much of a surprise regarding this news.

The Cube

by The Cube » 30 Apr 2007 11:53

So, to summarise, Wokingham's Tories have objected against Reading's stadium expansion. This follows on from Reading's Tories, who objected to the stadium being built in the first place.

Difficult to see how Schards is going to spin this one.....

Murtys Right Foot

by Murtys Right Foot » 30 Apr 2007 11:54

royal goof
Murtys Right Foot
royal goof
Murtys Right Foot While I agree about the potential problems around the stadium, maybe WBC should put their own house in order before questioning planning applications from another borough.

The continual traffic chaos that is Wokingham has nothing to do with RFC.

I will be asking my councillor if he objected to the application, and at the same time asking what they intend to do about Winnersh crossroads, Loddon Bridge roundabout, Finchampstead Road, Station Road, Shute end, etc, etc.........

Pot, kettle and black are words that spring to mind.

They have a responsibility to address anything that has an impact on their district.

Couldn't agree more, but maybe they should put their own house in order first.

I live in Wokingham, and I'd like them to spend their valuable time and effort sorting out the problems that already exist IN their district.

cool, me too! but where you and I live we have different opinions on what should get priority in sorting out. someone who lives in three mile cross could see the stadium's impact as the most important issue and this IS IN their district.

Sorry RG - I do agree with you. What I'm trying to say is that it would be nice if WBC sorted out the every day issues first rather than putting too much emphasis on the 18 or so afternoons/evenings when matches take place. The 3 mile cross roundabout is a mare virtually every day of the year - not just match days.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 30 Apr 2007 12:00

IMHO I thought the traffic analysis in the proposal was very poor. They assume that 50% of supporters will catch a bus to the game, ignoring what happens if they don't. Obviously they will park further afield.

There is nothing planned to help cross the A33, and I for one am already concerned about the idiot car drivers who plough through people at the bottom of Hurst Way.

Warfield Royal

by Warfield Royal » 30 Apr 2007 12:25

“This morning the councilor in Wokingham handed the Wokingham Borough Council a final note stating that unless we heard from them by eleven o'clock that they were prepared at once to withdraw their traffic objections from Reading, a state of war would exist between us. I have to tell you that no such understanding has been received and that consequently this town is at war with Wokingham.â€

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 30 Apr 2007 13:12

Loddon Bridge Road is closed for 6 weeks, which led to chaos on Church Rd (and no doubt elsewhere) this morning for 2-3 hours which will be repeated this evening.

42 days, 6 hours chaos a day. That's a couple of seasons of football match sized grief ! Thanks WBC !!!!!!! :wink:

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 30 Apr 2007 13:21

Behindu Loddon Bridge Road is closed for 6 weeks, which led to chaos on Church Rd (and no doubt elsewhere) this morning for 2-3 hours which will be repeated this evening.

42 days, 6 hours chaos a day. That's a couple of seasons of football match sized grief ! Thanks WBC !!!!!!! :wink:

It's a road I use 4 times a day on most days, and this following on from the closure of Mill Lane for 3 weeks which caused a lot of problems in the Winnersh/Sindlesham area.

I can't help thinking that closing a road like this for 6 weeks should be done in the school holidays when the chaos it will cause would be greatly reduced.

Magnus

by Magnus » 30 Apr 2007 13:28

Chaos?

Bad traffic, gridlock even perhaps, but chaos? I just can't see it somehow.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 30 Apr 2007 13:37

As has been alluded to, seems WBC have nothing better to do than moan and waste council tax payers money about traffic schemes in Reading while seemingly not being to bothered to try and work out messes like the Showcase roundabout (& the world's first winter underwater park and ride at Lodden Bridge) - and some of the road surfaces around the district are quite awful.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 30 Apr 2007 13:43

Magnus Chaos?

Bad traffic, gridlock even perhaps, but chaos? I just can't see it somehow.

Depends on whether you are of a literal or metaphorical bent I guess....

Warfield Royal

by Warfield Royal » 30 Apr 2007 14:16

Behindu Loddon Bridge Road is closed for 6 weeks, which led to chaos on Church Rd (and no doubt elsewhere) this morning for 2-3 hours which will be repeated this evening.

I use the Showcase Roundabout/Junction when I travel to Reading matches. I'm not going to chance tonight so will have to brave the M4 roadworks and J11. :evil:

royal goof

by royal goof » 30 Apr 2007 14:22

Barry the bird boggler As has been alluded to, seems WBC have nothing better to do than moan and waste council tax payers money about traffic schemes in Reading while seemingly not being to bothered to try and work out messes like the Showcase roundabout (& the world's first winter underwater park and ride at Lodden Bridge) - and some of the road surfaces around the district are quite awful.

What's wrong with showcase roundabout? Apart from the sheer volume of cars trying to use it at peak times..
Last edited by royal goof on 01 May 2007 13:02, edited 1 time in total.

royal goof

by royal goof » 30 Apr 2007 14:25

Blame the Gas Company.... they can replace any services pretty much when they want to - not a thing the Council can do except try and coordinate it... ie. Mill Lane was shut whilst off carriageway works at showcase continued. It's now open again and the Gas company can start to go up loddon bridge road.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 30 Apr 2007 14:41

Am I right in thinking that because of the stadium's location, it falls under both RBC and WBC, but reports to RBC? WBC can also have a say in any potential matters?

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 30 Apr 2007 14:56

royal goof Did you know that WBC is one of the worst centrally funded Council's in the country..? I doubt it.

I do, and I believe they have the lowest funding per head of any council in the country, which makes it remarkable that they manage to find money to etch logos on to windows. :wink:

When Hicks went up...

by When Hicks went up... » 30 Apr 2007 14:57

royal goof
Barry the bird boggler As has been alluded to, seems WBC have nothing better to do than moan and waste council tax payers money about traffic schemes in Reading while seemingly not being to bothered to try and work out messes like the Showcase roundabout (& the world's first winter underwater park and ride at Lodden Bridge) - and some of the road surfaces around the district are quite awful.

Did you know that WBC is one of the worst centrally funded Council's in the country..? I doubt it. Unless they make us residents pay tonnes more council tax then you have to make-do to a certain extent.

What's wrong with showcase roundabout? Apart from the sheer volume of cars trying to use it at peak times..

We pay "tonnes more" council tax already. It's obscene compared to the national average.

173 posts