Stadium Objection

173 posts
Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 30 Apr 2007 15:02

When Hicks went up... We pay "tonnes more" council tax already. It's obscene compared to the national average.

I don't think that is true. My council tax in Winnersh is lower than I paid in High Wycombe and the rise is lower this year as well. WBC do a VERY good job of keeping the council tax down, unfortunately though the roads and schools are suffering from serious under investment.

premiership_bound

by premiership_bound » 30 Apr 2007 15:02

Wycombe Royal I do, and I believe they have the lowest funding per head of any council in the country, which makes it remarkable that they manage to find money to etch logos on to windows. :wink:

And waste money mounting legal challenges

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Stadium Objection

by floyd__streete » 30 Apr 2007 15:18

Eaststand Rich Sorry, can't see this one raised anywhere else. BBC local news announced this morning that Wokingham District Council has officially objected to the proposed ground extension. Traffic issues I think. Old duffers.

Wokingham District Council = Tory NIMBYS. Vote them out this week.

Royalshow

by Royalshow » 30 Apr 2007 16:02

M4 Junction 11 Reading's transport officers have refuted this, claiming they intend to put in place parking restrictions south of the M4 :lol:

perhaps we should have a park and ride scheme ;)

or one of these

Stadium Expansion

mag lev trains can travel at up 500km per hour

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 30 Apr 2007 17:57

The Cube So, to summarise, Wokingham's Tories have objected against Reading's stadium expansion. This follows on from Reading's Tories, who objected to the stadium being built in the first place.

Difficult to see how Schards is going to spin this one.....

Better than anytrhing John Howarth wants to do or has ever done on behalf of Reading under the Labour banner.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 30 Apr 2007 17:59

The 17 Bus Better than anytrhing John Howarth wants to do or has ever done on behalf of Reading under the Labour banner.

And the relevance of this to a discussion about a Tory council blocking RFC's expansion plans is.....?

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 30 Apr 2007 18:05

floyd__streete
The 17 Bus Better than anytrhing John Howarth wants to do or has ever done on behalf of Reading under the Labour banner.

And the relevance of this to a discussion about a Tory council blocking RFC's expansion plans is.....?

not one thing but the cube brought the parties into it for what looked like the first time, this is not about political gain it is about what needs doing and WDC had to reject current plans as is what they are elected to do, Royal Goof i the one to read on all this, there will be planning gain as well which I would assume goes to RBC, even tho WBC also should get some to alleviate problems caused in their area.

PS John Howarth is RBC transport lead councillor, and that is what WBC are worried about, same as the one way IDR, surely Mr Howorth should have been also worried about match day traffic?

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 30 Apr 2007 18:15

IMHO this smacks more of playing political games than doing "what they are elected to do" and it seems to have everything to do with party politics, but perhaps I have a more suspicious mind than you do.

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 30 Apr 2007 18:30

Reading will benefit from this, Wokingham won't.

That's why.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 30 Apr 2007 23:41

Someone at the match told me about this. Ah well, the scum opposing the expansion have lost my vote. I love how we apparently live in a democracy but these morons have consulted nobody before opposing.

Yorkshire Royal

by Yorkshire Royal » 01 May 2007 10:10

Wokingham Council has I believe.. 41 Tory Councillors and 13 Lib Dem Councillors. No Labour at all.. what a wonderful place.... Makes me want to move back home.. No suprise therefore that a local area that will never vote Labour gets sweet FA from central government.. And council tax in Wokingham ain't that bad....

Anyway.. of course WBC are going to object to an expansion in a separate borough which they will gain no material benefit from. That is what they are democratically elected to do. If RFC and RBC actually built sufficient transport infrastructure and parking, then it would not be a problem..

Either way, the plans will get approved eventually...

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 01 May 2007 10:10

This is much ado about nothing, there are loads of new road plans in place, J11 is to be rebuilt, a new station is planned, new buses have been laid on, nor sure why folk are getting so upset myself.

IMHO it is time for a southern by-pass to relieve the roads in Arborfield, Shinfield, Three Mile Cross and Grazeley and across to Burghfield and Mortimer areas, tho as this is all in Tory Councils I doubt there would be government money to allow it to happen.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 01 May 2007 10:16

Actually it looks easy on a map as well, start at Arborfield Garrison, across to go between Swallowfield abd Spencers Wood, south of Grazeley, then sweep across between Burghfield and Burghfield Common, before linking up with a new super Junction on the A4 west of Theale where it could meet the A340. Use flyovers and underpasses where possible instead of roundabouts.

Any objections???

No right off we go then. ( John Howarth mood there)

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 01 May 2007 12:46

The 17 Bus Actually it looks easy on a map as well, start at Arborfield Garrison, across to go between Swallowfield abd Spencers Wood, south of Grazeley, then sweep across between Burghfield and Burghfield Common, before linking up with a new super Junction on the A4 west of Theale where it could meet the A340. Use flyovers and underpasses where possible instead of roundabouts.

Any objections???

Problem is there that you would open the floodgates to thousands more homes. At the moment the M4 is a logical and defensible boundary to residential development. A southern bypass would open up a whole new swath of potential development land.

I think any sensible person is concerned at the potential traffic problems. Its great that we're expanding but we've got to get the transport sorted. Last night I started queuing just past Arborfield Garrison!!

If the football club have not supplied sufficient info on how the extra traffic will be accommodated then that is a failure on their part and, altho it sticks in the throat to say it, W'B'C are right to put in a holding objection.

royal goof

by royal goof » 01 May 2007 13:01

M Brook
The 17 Bus Actually it looks easy on a map as well, start at Arborfield Garrison, across to go between Swallowfield abd Spencers Wood, south of Grazeley, then sweep across between Burghfield and Burghfield Common, before linking up with a new super Junction on the A4 west of Theale where it could meet the A340. Use flyovers and underpasses where possible instead of roundabouts.

Any objections???

Problem is there that you would open the floodgates to thousands more homes. At the moment the M4 is a logical and defensible boundary to residential development. A southern bypass would open up a whole new swath of potential development land.

I think any sensible person is concerned at the potential traffic problems. Its great that we're expanding but we've got to get the transport sorted. Last night I started queuing just past Arborfield Garrison!!

If the football club have not supplied sufficient info on how the extra traffic will be accommodated then that is a failure on their part and, altho it sticks in the throat to say it, W'B'C are right to put in a holding objection.

A good summary 8)

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 01 May 2007 13:26

M Brook I think any sensible person is concerned at the potential traffic problems. Its great that we're expanding but we've got to get the transport sorted. Last night I started queuing just past Arborfield Garrison!!.

I too got stuck in that but I don't think it was solely down to football traffic and it moved fairly quickly. At 7.10 last night it took me 10 minutes to get from the Bull at Arborfield to the Shinfield roundabout - not that bad. There was very little traffic on the Jct 11 roundabout and the A33 was moving freely.

Also the traffic in that area is still worse because Mill Lane in Sindlesham is still closed (it should have reopened 2 days ago).

As for providing a more detailed report with regards to the traffic situation I believe that this is aready being done, although hy it wasn't done sooner is anyone's guess.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 01 May 2007 13:58

A possible solution could be to annex Wokingham. ;)

el_presidente

by el_presidente » 01 May 2007 14:03

Royalshow
M4 Junction 11 Reading's transport officers have refuted this, claiming they intend to put in place parking restrictions south of the M4 :lol:

or one of these

Stadium Expansion

Is there a chance the track could bend?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 01 May 2007 14:27

el_presidente
Royalshow

or one of these

Stadium Expansion

Is there a chance the track could bend?

Not on your life, my Hindu friend.

B18

by B18 » 01 May 2007 19:50

As a Wokingham Resident .. and looking forward to the extension .. I contacted WBC and objected to their objection !!! ... (Seeing as i pay the council tax to them!)

I have the full report of their objection and i would like to know from STAR how many ST holders are there that live in Wokingham?.

BTW .. RBC can ignore WBC and proceed anyway ..!

173 posts