Stadium Objection

173 posts
royal goof

by royal goof » 30 Apr 2007 09:57

premiership_bound Yep I understand that :? but the word "across" the district tends to suggest it affects further a field.

yes i agree, but it may have been mis quoted or political/press spin put on it

but of course it wouldn't have any measurable impact on areas such as Twyford, Wargrave, Finchampstead, Crowthorne etc

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 30 Apr 2007 09:58

royal goof Therefore Reading BC need to look at ways to alleviate the problem rather than just assuming because it isn't on 'their patch' it isn't their problem.

Which suggests you think that they haven't done that ?

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 30 Apr 2007 09:59

Wycombe Royal
royal goof
Behindu I quite often need to go to Wokingham from Earley, at various times of the day. It can take forever as the Reading Road is usually chocka in each direction from the Winnersh cross roads. I wonder whether Wokingham council have considered sorting out the traffic chaos on their patch at the same time as objecting to what goes on in the neighbouring area.
Whilst we all know traffic can get very bad on 18 days during the year this smacks of petty politicing from Wokingham (who seem to be setting themeselves up as the 'oppostion' to Reading Council.

I believe they are trying to get the 'Winnersh Relief Road' to solve this problem

They are, but it will also involve another 600 or so houses being built along side it, so the affect will probably be negligible.

Even on a Saturday coming from Wokingham towards the Winnersh crossroads there can be anything up to a mile queue.

Forever been a bottle neck, only got worse since they allowed Sainsburys to be built there as well.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 30 Apr 2007 10:01

royal goof The houses will happen regardless due to pressure from central government so WBC has required them to construct part of the relief road and are also trying to get the top section of lower earley way made into dual carriageway. WBC will then fund the second half of the relief road which doesnt rely on any more houses.

I know all that, and living in Winnersh I know that it will make no difference to the transport problems.

This is the same council that have spent no money on sorting out the drainage at Winnersh crossroads, which floods everytime we have any decent level of rainfall, but will spend money engraving their logo on their windows of their offices. Which do you think the money should have been spent on?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 30 Apr 2007 10:02

WDC have picked a fine time to piss off Royals fans - just make sure that you vote against the current incumbents in the local elections this week!

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 30 Apr 2007 10:03

Huntley & Palmer
Wycombe Royal
royal goof
Behindu I quite often need to go to Wokingham from Earley, at various times of the day. It can take forever as the Reading Road is usually chocka in each direction from the Winnersh cross roads. I wonder whether Wokingham council have considered sorting out the traffic chaos on their patch at the same time as objecting to what goes on in the neighbouring area.
Whilst we all know traffic can get very bad on 18 days during the year this smacks of petty politicing from Wokingham (who seem to be setting themeselves up as the 'oppostion' to Reading Council.

I believe they are trying to get the 'Winnersh Relief Road' to solve this problem

They are, but it will also involve another 600 or so houses being built along side it, so the affect will probably be negligible.

Even on a Saturday coming from Wokingham towards the Winnersh crossroads there can be anything up to a mile queue.

Forever been a bottle neck, only got worse since they allowed Sainsburys to be built there as well.

It hasn't been as bad as it is now. I grew up in Woodley before moving to Wycombe, and have now been living in Winnersh for a year, and over this past year the traffic has been getting steadily worse at the crossroads mainly due to poor signal phasing.

royal goof

by royal goof » 30 Apr 2007 10:06

Behindu
royal goof Therefore Reading BC need to look at ways to alleviate the problem rather than just assuming because it isn't on 'their patch' it isn't their problem.

Which suggests you think that they haven't done that ?

I suspect they havent gone into enough detail in the transport assessment that was submitted with the application.

The objection would therefore be a 'holding objection' until they produce sufficient justification/measures to alleviate WBC concerns
Last edited by royal goof on 01 May 2007 13:08, edited 2 times in total.

royal goof

by royal goof » 30 Apr 2007 10:11

Wycombe Royal
royal goof The houses will happen regardless due to pressure from central government so WBC has required them to construct part of the relief road and are also trying to get the top section of lower earley way made into dual carriageway. WBC will then fund the second half of the relief road which doesnt rely on any more houses.

I know all that, and living in Winnersh I know that it will make no difference to the transport problems.

This is the same council that have spent no money on sorting out the drainage at Winnersh crossroads, which floods everytime we have any decent level of rainfall, but will spend money engraving their logo on their windows of their offices. Which do you think the money should have been spent on?

I think I noticed in the local press that flooding at Winnersh crossroads is due to be tackled very soon.

ps. i also live near winnersh and agree that the relief road will help initially but will soon get to capacity - its a problem that the Council can do nothing about with so much development going on that they have no powers to resist - only central government can slow down development.
Last edited by royal goof on 01 May 2007 13:08, edited 1 time in total.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 30 Apr 2007 10:11

royal goof
They havent gone into enough detail in the transport assessment that was submitted with the application.

The objection is a 'holding objection' until they produce sufficient justification/measures to alleviate WBC concerns

RG, do you work at WBC or are you just an interested layman ?

royal goof

by royal goof » 30 Apr 2007 10:13

Behindu
royal goof
They havent gone into enough detail in the transport assessment that was submitted with the application.

The objection is a 'holding objection' until they produce sufficient justification/measures to alleviate WBC concerns

I have my contacts :wink:

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 30 Apr 2007 10:15

royal goof I think flooding at Winnersh crossroads is due to be tackled very soon.

I believe it is but only after continual harassment from the Lib Dems of the Winnersh parish.

The flooding has been an issue for many years, but instead of sorting it out when the problem arose, they decided to just leave it and instead spent money on more important things like painting pretty colours on the road and engraving their windows at the council offices.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 30 Apr 2007 10:16

Is there a reason why WBC have left it this late to object ? The proposals have been in the public domain for several months and presumably to decide that there isn;t enough info for you to know whatthe effect would be is something that it would take a planner about 5 minutes to workout.

To wait until the last minute seems a little odd, although i do take your earlier point that some pre submission consultation by RBC / RFC might have been useful.

royal goof

by royal goof » 30 Apr 2007 10:21

Wycombe Royal
royal goof I think flooding at Winnersh crossroads is due to be tackled very soon.

I believe it is but only after continual harassment from the Lib Dems of the Winnersh parish.

The flooding has been an issue for many years, but instead of sorting it out when the problem arose, they decided to just leave it and instead spent money on more important things like painting pretty colours on the road and engraving their windows at the council offices.

Anyway i think you're getting slightly distracted..

This is what you wrote when plans were initially announced:

Posted: 21 Sep 2006 09:10 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wycombe Royal wrote:
I just hope they also have a plan with regards to how they will get all the additional cars to and from the stadium and where to park them.

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 30 Apr 2007 10:24

royal goof
Behindu
royal goof They havent gone into enough detail in the transport assessment that was submitted with the application.

Are your contacts part of the problem? It's one thing raising legitimate concerns and expecting answers on what's proposed for the traffic congestion/parking and another if they're going to block the expansion at all costs.

royal goof

by royal goof » 30 Apr 2007 10:24

Behindu Is there a reason why WBC have left it this late to object ? The proposals have been in the public domain for several months and presumably to decide that there isn;t enough info for you to know whatthe effect would be is something that it would take a planner about 5 minutes to workout.

To wait until the last minute seems a little odd, although i do take your earlier point that some pre submission consultation by RBC / RFC might have been useful.

As I understand, the correct department at WBC would have been consulted late March and comments would have then been passed back to RBC within about 2 weeks.
Last edited by royal goof on 01 May 2007 13:10, edited 1 time in total.

royal goof

by royal goof » 30 Apr 2007 10:24

M4 Junction 11
royal goof
Behindu
royal goof They havent gone into enough detail in the transport assessment that was submitted with the application.

Are your contacts part of the problem? It's one thing raising legitimate concerns and expecting answers on what's proposed for the traffic congestion/parking and another if they're going to block the expansion at all costs.

It's certainly not the latter

royal goof

by royal goof » 30 Apr 2007 10:27

royal goof
Wycombe Royal

Anyway i think you're getting slightly distracted..

This is what you wrote when plans were initially announced:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wycombe Royal wrote:
I just hope they also have a plan with regards to how they will get all the additional cars to and from the stadium and where to park them.

and this is what I said, which is proving to be the case. So if i knew what could be expected then surely RBC could have had a good guess too!!

Posted: 21 Sep 2006 09:05 Post subject:

Preliminary plans show an additional 10,860 seats.

5,280 on the east stand..

2,790 on each of the north and south stands.

The stadium will end up looking of 'circular' design and the additional stands/concourse areas will affect most of the perimeter roads around the stadium, hence there should be need for modified pedestrian and vehicle access to the stadium.

The expansion will need to include an Environmental Impact Assessment and the planning application process could be a long drawn out procedure as there will probably be various concerns such as: traffic congestion, parking, light pollution, visual impact..

Hope this is useful.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 30 Apr 2007 10:28

royal goof This is what you wrote when plans were initially announced:

Wycombe Royal wrote:

Yes I did, but the affect to the Wokingham area will be quite small. For the majority of matches I doubt the crowds will be that much higher. Some people are now using the buses that are provided from Bracknell, Wokingham, etc. There is a new park and ride being built on the south side of the M4. There will be a new train station at Green Park which quite a few people who come from south of the M4 will probably use (and I would guess that it is a lot of those people that park in the areas that Wokingham are concerned about. I also believe that eventually Grenn Park will be used for matchday parking.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 30 Apr 2007 10:28

royal goof
As I understand, the correct department at WBC was not consulted until late March and comments would have then been passed back to RBC within 2 weeks. As far as i'm aware RBC has made no attempt to contact WBC prior to this.

So WBC have deliberately stalled then ?

The plans have been around for ages (in fact since at least October) and the proposal has had widespread publicity. If WDC had such serious concerns about the impact 'across the district' would they not have been well advised to be actively seeking to ensure their concerns were addressed right from the start ?
I can;t believe that they sat on their concerns for 6 months or more !!

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 30 Apr 2007 10:31

Behindu I can;t believe that they sat on their concerns for 6 months or more !!

I can.

173 posts