Green park station/south Reading station

805 posts
Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

Re: Green park station/south Reading station

by Huntley & Palmer » 20 Mar 2008 14:43

Bit strange that you write off the vast majority of West Reading, most of whom I would presume get to the ground via a bus from the station or drive. Add in two pubs that run double decker buses to the ground from this area and I think you would find a rather large amount of people that would get a match day train to Green Park from Reading West.

The whole points is to stop people from driving to the ground, not encourage it which is why Green Park has never been a consideration.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 20 Mar 2008 17:11

Woodcote Royal Dead ducks, dodos and white Elephants are starting to form an orderly queue just north of Mortimer........................

Whilst I have no doubt that, sometime in the not too distant future we will start to see the beginnings of a new station at Green Park, the chances of it ever being of much use to Reading fans on match days seems as remote as ever.

Using some of the thousands of empty parking spaces that lie between this much anticipated new facility and the Mad Stad has only ever required permission from the blinkered owners of Green Park, yet nearly a decade since we moved from EP, I am one of a very small number of fans who are lucky enough to enjoy this privilege.

Sorry, but I think there's more chance of flying pigs dive-bombing Lime Square than a train service being provided that will be worth using on matchdays, especially considering the station is going to be three quarters of a mile from the Mad Stad.

The trouble with that idea is that we already have too much traffic trying to exit via the Speedway Stadium area, and Costco. Add in more car parks in GP without increasing the capacity of those exits onto the A33 Relief and it will take until about midnight to escape after a 3pm KO!
Last edited by West Stand Man on 21 Mar 2008 12:33, edited 1 time in total.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 21 Mar 2008 04:08

Huntley & Palmer Bit strange that you write off the vast majority of West Reading, most of whom I would presume get to the ground via a bus from the station or drive. Add in two pubs that run double decker buses to the ground from this area and I think you would find a rather large amount of people that would get a match day train to Green Park from Reading West.

The whole points is to stop people from driving to the ground, not encourage it which is why Green Park has never been a consideration.

I'm not doubting the potential demand, just the likelihood of it being satisfied by a worthwhile service.

Without huge investment, that will need to go far beyond placing 2 platforms alongside existing tracks, all that will be available will be scheduled train services. This will probably amount to one train before and after each match likely to attract supporters in significant numbers.......................300? at best.

So, now we have a few hundred supporters at the new shiny station and it's just a case of getting them to the Mad Stad.

I daresay most of these fans could do with a 20 minute walk but I'd lay money on significant numbers electing to drive or take a bus in order avoid such worthwhile exercise.

This, of course, assumes that we're talking about a nice sunny day as opposed to what we have in store for this weekend. Let's face it, most of our season enjoys the kind of whether that would see most fans electing not to walking this kind of distance by choice.

So, now we need 6 coaches or a few hundred fans who don't mind hanging around whilst a smaller number of coaches carry out a shuttle service.

Whilst I agree totally with the desire to entice more fans to use public transport, I can't see this being of much use to those based in Reading............................I think most will feel other options are more practical and offer greater flexibility, like the station buses or their own car.

The Cube

by The Cube » 21 Mar 2008 11:20

The Cube
Rhys The Royal Any progress?

And now for my normal contribution to this topic. Remembered to look out the train window this morning and there is no sign of station-building or approach work on either side of the line.

Actually, I take that back. There does look like there has been some clearance on the east side of the line, which given the layout could well be for the station approaches.

Rhys The Royal

by Rhys The Royal » 05 Jun 2008 20:08

Well it's all gone qiuet over here. Anything?

The Cube

by The Cube » 05 Jun 2008 21:18

A week ago, I had a good look as I expected that to be my last trip on that railway line for a while. There were no signs of any activity.

Perhaps I should also clarify my previous comments about station approach work - on the maps that i have seen the station is shown as just north of the M4. There never has been any clearance in that area, but often such maps are merely indicative. The possible clearance site I referred to is just north of the next road bridge up and I still think that it could be the planned site.

I heard somewhere else that the projected building start date had changed from spring 2008 to winter 2008, but I can't remember where.

Royalshow

by Royalshow » 05 Jun 2008 21:50

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 05 Jun 2008 23:53

Yes, but this is another page from the same site

http://www.greenparkvillage.co.uk/dates.html

That says construction to start November 2007

premiership_bound

by premiership_bound » 06 Jun 2008 08:51

According to this it was due to start late spring this year. About now?

http://www.greenpark.co.uk/downloads/pr_station_approval_0208.pdf

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

the new station

by Chaney » 26 Jul 2008 00:53

Does anyone have an update on the new station a green park? I seem to recall that it was due for competion some time late this year

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 03 Sep 2008 22:25

Whats happening? Anyone know?

Streets

by Streets » 05 Sep 2008 08:18

It has to way way down in the list of priorities now we're back in the Championship and not filling the stadium weekly.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 05 Sep 2008 08:32

Streets It has to way way down in the list of priorities now we're back in the Championship and not filling the stadium weekly.

???

It has nothing to do with RFC, it is a Prudential / Network Rail project to support the offices in Green Park. Our league position is irrelevant.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 05 Sep 2008 08:32

Streets It has to way way down in the list of priorities now we're back in the Championship and not filling the stadium weekly.

RFC weren't the ones building it, so I don't think which division we are in really matters. If the Pru had their way football supporters would be banned from using it.

Streets

by Streets » 05 Sep 2008 08:34

I didn't say we were paying for it. I meant that the fact we are attractind around 5000 less people to that 'area' most weeks, it's useage is greatly reduced and therefore less of a priority now.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 05 Sep 2008 08:45

Streets I didn't say we were paying for it. I meant that the fact we are attractind around 5000 less people to that 'area' most weeks, it's useage is greatly reduced and therefore less of a priority now.

But what difference does that make to the Pru? As I said they would rather football fans werre banned from using it.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Sep 2008 08:46

Streets I didn't say we were paying for it. I meant that the fact we are attractind around 5000 less people to that 'area' most weeks, it's useage is greatly reduced and therefore less of a priority now.

But it's not being built for the stadium. It's being built for the business park, you know that big expanse of offices that will lie directly between the station and the stadium. We could get less per week than Reading Town and it would have no effect on the station plans.

Streets

by Streets » 05 Sep 2008 08:53

Wycombe Royal

But what difference does that make to the Pru? As I said they would rather football fans werre banned from using it.

Not to the Pru, sure, but 20,000 using it for football will far out way the usage to and from the offices in a 2 week period and therefore the football will bring greater revenue.

I take your point that the station is mainly for the business park. I had thought as it was talked up so much that it was very much for the football traffic to and from town, but clearly not so much.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 05 Sep 2008 08:54

Fewer.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 05 Sep 2008 09:01

Streets
Wycombe Royal

Not to the Pru, sure, but 20,000 using it for football will far out way the usage to and from the offices in a 2 week period and therefore the football will bring greater revenue.

I take your point that the station is mainly for the business park. I had thought as it was talked up so much that it was very much for the football traffic to and from town, but clearly not so much.

You're not getting it, so I'm off to find a brick wall as I think I have more chance of getting that to understand the point here.

805 posts