Madejski: Get up so I can sell up

earleyroyal

Re: Madejski: Get up so I can sell up

by earleyroyal » 09 Jul 2008 16:12

Roger the Rabbit
earleyroyal We could've survived last year by spending a few million,.

Or we could have spent a few million and still gone down.

earleyroyal we could go up this year by spending a few million. .

Or we could spend next to nothing and get 106 points !

Or we could have spent a few million and gone down, true. It wouldn't have made our financial position significantly worse off though. (Waits for 'we don't want to do a Leeds') Do you think signing a tough tackling central midfielder would've kept us up without breaking the bank, someone like Ben Watson maybe? I'd hazard a guess at 'yes'.

And just because we went up with 106 points spending next to nothing doesn't mean we're ever likely to do it again. Complacency, loved by Reading fans everywhere.

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 09 Jul 2008 16:12

Dick Habbin's hairdo Here's a proposition...

I'm half bladdered on Singha on holiday in Thailand but...

is it fantasy to think that the club I bl00dy love would not be appealing to a sensible 'brand' oriented overseas investor like .. Dubai International Capital?

We are a great club, relatively solvent, could build the brand properly in our own catchment area and internationally, have the right mix of international businesses locally, easy to Heathrow (easier than any London club arguably with the exception of Brentford), and would welcome a serious investor like DIC that has cash to splash and can see the medium term RoI...

Football is huge international business - we need an international investor NOW otherwise I fear another 135 years of mediocrity - but there's nothing wrong with Hartlepool away on a cold wet Saturday in February.

So, what do we want to be? The club I love and always will bobbing up and down between the fizzy pop and League 2 or the club we can be - built the right way, a desirable brand (once they get the monkeys running the marketing now out of the way), and a significant rising star - being what, say, Everton should always have been post '83....

If the concensus is for DIC I will make a call when I am sober in the morning.

I'm sure if it was that simple Madejski would have made the call already.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 09 Jul 2008 16:12

On the basis of clubs being sold historically, I would have thought that a buyer is more likely in the Championship when our price is lower. Just can't see anyone taking a punt on an obscure club that has no history of doing anything other than average in all departments (honours, attendances, facilities, spending, revenue) and paying over the odds for it if we get back to the Premiership.

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 09 Jul 2008 16:23

earleyroyal Or we could have spent a few million and gone down, true. It wouldn't have made our financial position significantly worse off though. (Waits for 'we don't want to do a Leeds') Do you think signing a tough tackling central midfielder would've kept us up without breaking the bank, someone like Ben Watson maybe? I'd hazard a guess at 'yes'..

Or like Robbie Savage ?

earleyroyal And just because we went up with 106 points spending next to nothing doesn't mean we're ever likely to do it again. Complacency, loved by Reading fans everywhere.

Not sure where complacency comes in, who mentioned complacency ?

I'm just not impressed by the attitude that says the answer to everything is to chuck money at it. Countless teams have shown that you can spend millions and not get promoted out of this division. The obsession with spending money seems to be much more of a trait amongst a certain type of Reading fan than complacency. Of course in the modern game it's a sad fact that money is a huge part of things but to simply shout 'spend money' is not the answer.

And if you think that spending several million woul dnot have made much difference to our financial position kind of ignores the reality... although if that spending spree had kept us up the benefits woul dhave been significant.
Last edited by Roger the Rabbit on 09 Jul 2008 16:46, edited 1 time in total.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 09 Jul 2008 16:40

Huntley & Palmer On the basis of clubs being sold historically, I would have thought that a buyer is more likely in the Championship when our price is lower. Just can't see anyone taking a punt on an obscure club that has no history of doing anything other than average in all departments (honours, attendances, facilities, spending, revenue) and paying over the odds for it if we get back to the Premiership.

Absolutely. Of course selling the club whilst in the Championship doesn't yield JM anywhere near the price it would in the Premiership which is his main concern i suspect.

ArfnipIsARoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by ArfnipIsARoyal » 09 Jul 2008 16:50

Norwich are in talks over a £20m take over from billionaire Peter Cullum. Shows that, with both him and Ecclestone buying out CCC clubs, there is still a market. Question is how much does Madejski value us at?

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 09 Jul 2008 16:57

ArfnipIsARoyal Norwich are in talks over a £20m take over from billionaire Peter Cullum. Shows that, with both him and Ecclestone buying out CCC clubs, there is still a market. Question is how much does Madejski value us at?

It's also interesting to know what is included in each sale - I have no idea what 'real estate' comes with Norwich's sale, or even what % of shares the guy is getting.

I'd certainly agree that the value to be had in buying a club is to get a cheap CCC team and get it promoted - QPR seem a prime example of trying to do this.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 09 Jul 2008 17:03

Vision
Huntley & Palmer On the basis of clubs being sold historically, I would have thought that a buyer is more likely in the Championship when our price is lower. Just can't see anyone taking a punt on an obscure club that has no history of doing anything other than average in all departments (honours, attendances, facilities, spending, revenue) and paying over the odds for it if we get back to the Premiership.

Absolutely. Of course selling the club whilst in the Championship doesn't yield JM anywhere near the price it would in the Premiership which is his main concern i suspect.

'greed, in which case it seems a very odd business move for a man with such acumen and wealth.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 09 Jul 2008 17:08

Note to John: Put up so we can go up

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 09 Jul 2008 17:18

Nice to see the chairman giving out the right signals to the fans just before the season starts.

'Can't wait to get out of here' usually what I'm saying at 5:30 most saturdays. 8)

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 09 Jul 2008 18:18

Royalee
Southbank Old Boy
Because it's a two way street.

Coppell is happy with a limited budget (limited in comparison to most of our Premiership rivals that is). Madejski made that available to him and so Coppell was happy that he had the full backing of his chairman. He still didnt actually go and spend it though

Another manager might've wanted a bigger budget in order to improve the squad. Coppell didn't.

It's one of the clubs weaknesses, and it's strength, that the manager isn't pressuring the board for more money. You could argue that a manager with a different outlook and different methods might've been knocking on the chairmans door demanding more money to avoid the squad drifting to relegation.

I find that hard to believe given Coppell's comments about the game now revolving around money, particularly at the top clubs. He'd have to be incredibly naive to think that you can survive in the Premiership on a low budget, which would worry me even more than he already does.

Hang on- there's more than one budget!

We have a fair bit to spend on transfers, but not so much to spend on wages. Madejski gives Coppell money to spend- but a lot of players won't come due to lack of wages.

Plus, out of the players who went to other clubs in the relagation dogfight, who would have improved our squad at the time?

McFadden- strikers were playing well, Hunt and Convey were playing well.

Taylor- Shorey, Hunt and Convey all playing well.

Zarate- strikers playing well.

Reid- you'd have laughed him off as not good enough. Championship winger, relagated with Charlton, not exactly the best in the Championship either.

Barndsley- possibly improves us at RB, but would he have come? Keane attracted him (and Evans) using his ManUre connections.

Cahill + Steinsson- one of these two would strenghthen us at CB, a Cahill/Bikey partnership wouldn't let many in.

That's all I can remember. Discounting Derby, who definately wouldn't have improved us.

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 09 Jul 2008 18:34

Any striker who came in and scored 3 or 4 would have improved us...

And from January onwards I'm not too sure Hunt played veey well, and Shorey was not exactly Mr Consistent.

The difficulty is knowing to any degree of certainty which players would have been an improvement both as individuals and as part of the team, and which ones coul dhave done it from day 1.

I'm glad I'm not a manager, but it's probably obvious why I'm not !

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 09 Jul 2008 19:49

Bill Oddie's Beard John Madejski says he is more determined than ever to stay and oversee Reading’s promotion to the Premier League – so he can sell the club.

oxf*rd righto.

Couldn't sell the club after a Top 8 finish and missing out on European football by 1 goal, nevermind sell a club just starting out life in the Premiership again :roll:

Mad Dog's Ghost

by Mad Dog's Ghost » 09 Jul 2008 20:48

I'm worried. Worried about Dick. He's in Thailand and advocating we embrace DIC. I truly hope you've not taken on something on your holiday that didn't turn out quite as you'd imagined.

RichieBowman

by RichieBowman » 10 Jul 2008 03:02

If Madejski is so desperate to sell the club sell it now with out barking on about trying to get promoted. He is only too aware that he will get more for the club if they are in the premier league than in the championship. I have no patience with him anymore and find his comments pointless.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 10 Jul 2008 06:21

This whole attitude from Mr Madjeski stinks of not caring about anything but money, we all know the club is for sale, so stop fecking going on about it, it is bad for moral and team building, as said in last post, if he does not want to own the club then sell, , what's that??? no one wants it??

In which case get on with it and improve it until someone does want it.

catfork

by catfork » 10 Jul 2008 10:56

The 17 Bus This whole attitude from Mr Madjeski stinks of not caring about anything but money, we all know the club is for sale, so stop fecking going on about it, it is bad for moral and team building, as said in last post, if he does not want to own the club then sell, , what's that??? no one wants it??

In which case get on with it and improve it until someone does want it.

Madejski's attitude for the last couple of seasons has been utterly tiresome. If you want to sell a business you dont go on about it on 5Live constantly.

Rhys The Royal

by Rhys The Royal » 10 Jul 2008 12:18

Anyone know how much he paid for the club?

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 10 Jul 2008 12:31

Rhys The Royal Anyone know how much he paid for the club?

I don't think people who come in and rescue clubs about to go bankrupt are expected to pay anything are they ?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 10 Jul 2008 14:45

Rhys The Royal Anyone know how much he paid for the club?

JM bought 51% of the club in 1990/91 for a total of £306K, plus he paid off existing debts of about £1M.

But it's a lot more complicated than that, as he subsidised the club's losses for at least 14 of the following 15 years. He also increased his investment to well over 90%, and also has invested in stadium, training ground etc etc.