Casual fans can't watch the royals because of club policy

bigshaka'away'

Casual fans can't watch the royals because of club policy

by bigshaka'away' » 14 Aug 2008 12:39

Now this has bothered me for a while, but a number of my friends don't support Reading (one can't account for taste) but like football and want to come along with me occasionaly to watch Reading attempt to pass the ball. However they often don't as they do not see why they should have to become a member to buy a ticket, thus incuring extra cost just to come and see a team they dont really support. This money grabbing scheme by RFC obviously generates a large amount of cash in the short term (40,000 people paying to become a member = well over a million pounds) but it is very short sighted as less new people will go the games, and Reading will suffer in the long term. IT puts people off, say if you usually go to a game with a regular but one week you want you friend to come along to but he is not a member, he has to pay extra and as he is not a fan he won't and therefore the ticket remains unsold and RFC loose out just because they are trying to squeeze an extra few pounds out of everybody. And whilst I am ranting, why do i have to listen to all the game information when im trying to book a ticket before i can talk to anyone, it even tells me to visit the website etc. This is a rehtorical question, obviously they do it so you spend more money on the phone bill, but its little things like this that are slowly ruining our club..
grrrrrrrrrrr.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Casual fans can't watch the royals because of club policy

by SpaceCruiser » 14 Aug 2008 12:41

Gubbins

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 14 Aug 2008 13:10

So are you telling me that Jo Bloggs cant turn up at half 2 on saturday and buy a ticket? Not even if you've travelled from Plymouth?

AF1
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Ya got guns, got guns too, what up son, do you wanna battle for cash and see who Sun Tzu?

by AF1 » 14 Aug 2008 13:15

bigshaka'away' Now this has bothered me for a while, but a number of my friends don't support Reading (one can't account for taste) but like football and want to come along with me occasionaly to watch Reading attempt to pass the ball. However they often don't as they do not see why they should have to become a member to buy a ticket, thus incuring extra cost just to come and see a team they dont really support. This money grabbing scheme by RFC obviously generates a large amount of cash in the short term (40,000 people paying to become a member = well over a million pounds) but it is very short sighted as less new people will go the games, and Reading will suffer in the long term. IT puts people off, say if you usually go to a game with a regular but one week you want you friend to come along to but he is not a member, he has to pay extra and as he is not a fan he won't and therefore the ticket remains unsold and RFC loose out just because they are trying to squeeze an extra few pounds out of everybody. And whilst I am ranting, why do i have to listen to all the game information when im trying to book a ticket before i can talk to anyone, it even tells me to visit the website etc. This is a rehtorical question, obviously they do it so you spend more money on the phone bill, but its little things like this that are slowly ruining our club..
grrrrrrrrrrr.

May I be the first of many to say

lol

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 14 Aug 2008 13:21

Yeah, it's such a ridiculous statement, considering that I never paid for my membership card, it was free when it first came out. :lol:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Aug 2008 13:28

Neither did most people and it's £2 now.

And if there are tickets available on the day you will be sold a paper ticket.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 14 Aug 2008 13:36

I phoned up and got two tickets for friends on the half price offer and they were given member cards free - so there is NO additional cost.

Check your facts before making a rant.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 14 Aug 2008 13:37

Stranded Neither did most people and it's £2 now.

Yeah. And isn't the whole point of the membership card scheme to give priority to the more loyal Reading fan rather than some casual guest?

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 14 Aug 2008 13:49

Wycombe Royal I phoned up and got two tickets for friends on the half price offer and they were given member cards free - so there is NO additional cost.

Check your facts before making a rant.

You're right of course but the fact that there is a member card and there is a perception that you need to buy one to come along puts people off.

It might not be factually correct but the perception matters more than fact.

Add in the fact that you'll soon need one to buy a pint or a pie and it's just another barrier.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 14 Aug 2008 13:51

"Buy"? Have those people ever bothered to check their facts before giving up completely?

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 14 Aug 2008 13:53

SpaceCruiser "Buy"? Have those people ever bothered to check their facts before giving up completely?

Do you understand the idea of perception?

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 14 Aug 2008 13:55

bigshaka'away' Now this has bothered me for a while, but a number of my friends don't support Reading (one can't account for taste) but like football and want to come along with me occasionaly to watch Reading attempt to pass the ball. However they often don't as they do not see why they should have to become a member to buy a ticket, thus incuring extra cost just to come and see a team they dont really support. This money grabbing scheme by RFC obviously generates a large amount of cash in the short term (40,000 people paying to become a member = well over a million pounds) but it is very short sighted as less new people will go the games, and Reading will suffer in the long term. IT puts people off, say if you usually go to a game with a regular but one week you want you friend to come along to but he is not a member, he has to pay extra and as he is not a fan he won't and therefore the ticket remains unsold and RFC loose out just because they are trying to squeeze an extra few pounds out of everybody. And whilst I am ranting, why do i have to listen to all the game information when im trying to book a ticket before i can talk to anyone, it even tells me to visit the website etc. This is a rehtorical question, obviously they do it so you spend more money on the phone bill, but its little things like this that are slowly ruining our club..
grrrrrrrrrrr.

BEST FIRST POST EVER :lol: :lol:

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 14 Aug 2008 13:57

Best scathing, witless, patronising and non-explanatory response by a mod to a first post ever.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 14 Aug 2008 13:59

Mos def and deservedly so.

bigshaka'away'

by bigshaka'away' » 14 Aug 2008 14:21

nonsense. You can buy a paper ticket for the away end, sure, but what do you do if you want to buy tickets now for saturday for certain people who are not members, furthermore you have to pay every time you loose or forget the card. Also i think you will find that offer only applies to season ticket holders, which many reading fans are not. Also i realise that being a member allows you to get priority as it rewards you, but surely that should be optional rather than obligitory.

Also to become a member is wasnt always free, and always only 2 quid if you check, and if you add up the amount of times people have lost them, ordered new ones purchased one just for one game, how much money do you think the club has raised?? I most certainly have paid for my members card and many more when i bloody loose it, or lend it and dont get it back.

So there.

Oh and also its not my first post, just first for a while after posting about the bloody whingers saying we should sack coppel and then lauded him after promotion.

bigshaka'away'

by bigshaka'away' » 14 Aug 2008 14:23

Stranded Neither did most people and it's £2 now.

and you may well be. but what about buying one before that, when most people are planning what to do with their weekend?

Skyline

by Skyline » 14 Aug 2008 14:24

So let's get this straight - you have lost your member card more than once, and yet somehow it is the clubs fault because they're making you lose it so they can charge you for a replacement every time?

bigshaka'away'

by bigshaka'away' » 14 Aug 2008 14:28

no, firstly i had to pay in the first instance, im quite happy to pay again if i lost it, its my fault, but i dont see why i should have to have a bloody card to get a match ticket, its not so loyal fans get tickets first, bollocks, its about making money.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 14 Aug 2008 14:32

SpaceCruiser "Buy"? Have those people ever bothered to check their facts before giving up completely?

You mean like going to the official site? :|

http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/MemberCard/0,,10306~1063595,00.html

"Member Cards cost £2 for adults and £1 for concessions."

bigshaka'away'

by bigshaka'away' » 14 Aug 2008 14:34

yes the official site that today has the wrong number for their own ticket office, call it and hey presto you get through to endemol...Reading FC say they are 'aware' of the problem.