Euro 2016 Thread

1464 posts
Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Euro 2016 Thread

by Pepe the Horseman » 21 Jun 2016 10:37

Oof. Let's hope Hungary knock us out then.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 21 Jun 2016 10:48

I am looking forward to playing a team who actually want to play football against us and not shove everyone behind the ball. We've seen that we are good enough to beat the top teams and Portugal (most likely oppos) have been fairly dire so far.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 21 Jun 2016 10:58

Pepe the Horseman
Maguire - Worst thing about it is that it's ruined the planned Saturday all-dayer. Roy, nobody wants to watch these things on a Monday night

Yeh, this. What night will the quarter final be?

Surely it's better it isn't on a Saturday? You can go on your all-dayer and there will be far fewer kants about.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 21 Jun 2016 10:59

Maguire
- Henderson couldn't deliver a pizza

Absolute horse shite. Poor Mark Noble sitting at home having to watch Henderson.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 21 Jun 2016 11:23

'greed with lots of what's been said, Wilshere was dreadful, Henderson not a great deal better, things improved massively when Rooney came on, in a Liverpool match Skrtel would have put at least one of those clearances in his own net but hey, they're through.

The way Slovakia frustrated England last night was another bogus by-product of Platini's ridiculous decision to have 24 teams in the tournament. If Slovakia had needed more than a point from the game they'd have opened up a bot more and the massively dominant England would have made hay. Whoever they get in the next round will want to score so there will be chances, although on the flip side it might mean Chris Smalling getting in more trouble at the back.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 21 Jun 2016 11:41

Silver Fox they'd have opened up a bot more .

:shock:

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 21 Jun 2016 11:44

No Fixed Abode
Pepe the Horseman
Maguire - Worst thing about it is that it's ruined the planned Saturday all-dayer. Roy, nobody wants to watch these things on a Monday night

Yeh, this. What night will the quarter final be?

Surely it's better it isn't on a Saturday? You can go on your all-dayer and there will be far fewer kants about.

You not gonna be about then loooooool. Jk x

Do you wanna meat up and watch it on Monday?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Jun 2016 12:16

genome I am looking forward to playing a team who actually want to play football against us and not shove everyone behind the ball. We've seen that we are good enough to beat the top teams and Portugal (most likely oppos) have been fairly dire so far.

It may be Portugal but they aren't the most likely opponents.

For them to finish 2nd they need to either beat Hungary and Iceland beat Austria by the same scoreline or draw 1-1 while Iceland draw 0-0.

Most likely opponents are Hungary - defeat for them and any result but an Icelandic win sees them 2nd.

Opponents in list of likeliness:

Hungary
Iceland
Portugal
Austria.

jd82
Hob Nob Addict

by jd82 » 21 Jun 2016 12:21

Wilshere is clearly not fit, let alone match fit. He was visibly blowing at about 35 minute last night.. His performance demonstrated all the things I don't like about him. Over omitting himself with and without the ball.

Sturridge is facking infuriating to watch, always wants one touch extra, slowing play down and meaning all his team mates have already made thier runs while he's still doing stepovers 3 yards away from anyone. One example last night where Clyne overlapped and rather than a simple 10 yard ball into space he tried to take on 3 defenders.

It's a shame that our 2 best performers have both been in the same position, Clyne will probably (rightly) miss out in the knockouts, which seems a bit harsh.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Jun 2016 12:58

Really had enough. Last night it was like watching Reading; clueless, slow, ponderous and predictable.

Blame really has to be with Hodgson and the fact he has not developed a style or system and picked players that fit with that system well and instead just adheres to the same old faces and supposedly "best" players and then tries to force them into a stultifying and tactically inept system for the occasion.

Credit though to Clyne who was the best player on the pitch and feel sorry for Vardy who was forced into a role that really isn't his game.

The sooner Hodgson goes or has a complete change of approach the better.

Finally well done to Wales, nice to see someone capable of keeping the British end up. Think I prefer to watch them rather than Roy's deadly dull wasters make their usual tournament bow out to Portugal in the knockout round. Robbie Savage is still a total embarrassment though.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 21 Jun 2016 12:59

Totally agree on Sturridge. He has so much ability but looks like he just wanders around trying to make himself look good. He very rarely does the simple yet effective thing, be that when passing or when trying to take a chance.

He really should've scored last night, either from the lovely ball over the top from Dier or by better anticipation of Vardy's new post flick on in the first 20 minutes or so. The one time I remember him really taking the easy option was when he slid Clyne in just after half time. My guess is that he'd just got a talking to about taking the easy option so played him in (and it should've been a penalty for me, what the point of the extra officials is I don't know).

All in all though it was another decent performance but we really do need to find that killer instinct in the final third but, as others have said, when we go up against teams that actually want to attack us as well as get 10 men behind the ball we'll surely find it a bit easier.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 21 Jun 2016 13:14

jd82 Sturridge is facking infuriating to watch, always wants one touch extra, slowing play down and meaning all his team mates have already made thier runs while he's still doing stepovers 3 yards away from anyone. One example last night where Clyne overlapped and rather than a simple 10 yard ball into space he tried to take on 3 defenders

If the moment I punched my sofa in frustration at this exact moment could be articulated in one paragraph then you've just done it.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 21 Jun 2016 13:21

Sutekh Really had enough. Last night it was like watching Reading; clueless, slow, ponderous and predictable.

Blame really has to be with Hodgson and the fact he has not developed a style or system and picked players that fit with that system well and instead just adheres to the same old faces and supposedly "best" players and then tries to force them into a stultifying and tactically inept system for the occasion.

Credit though to Clyne who was the best player on the pitch and feel sorry for Vardy who was forced into a role that really isn't his game.

The sooner Hodgson goes or has a complete change of approach the better

Totally disagree with you tbh. Picks the same old faces? Compare that to 2014 - no Glen Johnson, no Baines, no Jagielka, no Milner, no Gerrard, no Lampard etc.

Eric Dier looks like an absolute player IMHO - great addition to the side. Alli is an obvious first choice. Walker's been excellent. Vardy's had 1.5 games. Rooney's been very good in his new role.

Clearly I don't think we're going to win it but we've bossed three games in a row for the first time I can remember in any tournament in my lifetime. Last night we had the most goal attempts since 1980. We're just a bit disjointed in the final third, otherwise very decent.

Finally well done to Wales, nice to see someone capable of keeping the British end up. Think I prefer to watch them rather than Roy's deadly dull wasters

Shit bait but you can have a nibble anyway. They got played off the park by England, offered nothing at all. Pleased their through though.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Jun 2016 13:24

Hoop Blah Totally agree on Sturridge. He has so much ability but looks like he just wanders around trying to make himself look good. He very rarely does the simple yet effective thing, be that when passing or when trying to take a chance.

He really should've scored last night, either from the lovely ball over the top from Dier or by better anticipation of Vardy's new post flick on in the first 20 minutes or so. The one time I remember him really taking the easy option was when he slid Clyne in just after half time. My guess is that he'd just got a talking to about taking the easy option so played him in (and it should've been a penalty for me, what the point of the extra officials is I don't know).

All in all though it was another decent performance but we really do need to find that killer instinct in the final third but, as others have said, when we go up against teams that actually want to attack us as well as get 10 men behind the ball we'll surely find it a bit easier.

Actually think that it's all down to Hodgson and his **** tactics. Sturridge doesn't have a problem being efficient and effective for Liverpool (just keeping fit).

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 21 Jun 2016 13:31

As I said above, Sturridge getting the ball 40 yards from goal just doesn't work for me. He needs those quick feet in the box or going 1v1 not when he's so far back*

*I know he scored v Wales coming from deep

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 21 Jun 2016 13:42

Stranded
genome I am looking forward to playing a team who actually want to play football against us and not shove everyone behind the ball. We've seen that we are good enough to beat the top teams and Portugal (most likely oppos) have been fairly dire so far.

For them to finish 2nd they need to either beat Hungary and Iceland beat Austria by the same scoreline or draw 1-1 while Iceland draw 0-0.

Most likely opponents are Hungary - defeat for them and any result but an Icelandic win sees them 2nd.

Hungary
Iceland
Portugal
Austria.

Ah. I thought we played the group winners.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 21 Jun 2016 13:43

Maguire
Sutekh Finally well done to Wales, nice to see someone capable of keeping the British end up. Think I prefer to watch them rather than Roy's deadly dull wasters

Shit bait but you can have a nibble anyway. They got played off the park by England, offered nothing at all. Pleased their through though.

For all the talk before the game about how much pride and passion they had they utterly bottled it against us. Bale in particular given how involved he was in the 'mind games' beforehand. If their performance had been anything like their other two games they'd have got a point at worse. We played well but they made it easier for us than they should have. Only Ramsey had a played well for them and he was excellent and would be in my team of the tournament.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Jun 2016 13:48

genome
Stranded

Hungary
Iceland
Portugal
Austria.

Ah. I thought we played the group winners.

Fair enough - the stupid structure of the tournament means that only the runners up in D and E have to do that.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 21 Jun 2016 13:52

jd82 Wilshere is clearly not fit, let alone match fit. He was visibly blowing at about 35 minute last night.. His performance demonstrated all the things I don't like about him. Over omitting himself with and without the ball.

Sturridge is facking infuriating to watch, always wants one touch extra, slowing play down and meaning all his team mates have already made thier runs while he's still doing stepovers 3 yards away from anyone. One example last night where Clyne overlapped and rather than a simple 10 yard ball into space he tried to take on 3 defenders.

It's a shame that our 2 best performers have both been in the same position, Clyne will probably (rightly) miss out in the knockouts, which seems a bit harsh.

agree with this plus he's a oxf*rd lazy oxf*rd

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 21 Jun 2016 13:59

bcubed
jd82 Wilshere is clearly not fit, let alone match fit. He was visibly blowing at about 35 minute last night.. His performance demonstrated all the things I don't like about him. Over omitting himself with and without the ball.

agree with this plus he's a oxf*rd lazy oxf*rd

Hark at Ron Atkinson over here.

1464 posts