England - the future....

1584 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: England - the future....

by Zip » 15 Oct 2020 18:15

Southgate has to be judged on major tournaments and not on friendlies and Nation League games. That is the true test. In his first major tournament England were knocked out in ET in the semi final. Then in the subsequent Euro qualifiers the side qualified for the Finals with ease.

If England oxf*rd up next Summer then fair enough. Fair game for him to be sacked but for heavens sake he is experimenting and looking at his options. Judge him next summer.

bcubed
Hob Nob Addict

by bcubed » 15 Oct 2020 18:19

Sutekh
bcubed
Sanguine That last bit is what is most surprising Vic - that last year we were playing decent, attacking football and Southgate genuinely looked like the right man to take this exciting group of players forward. I don't really understand where his change in approach has come from.

It's a cliche about players getting better when they aren't involved, but in this case I think Raheem Sterling, if he wasn't already, has become the first name on the England team sheet over the last two weeks.

But he already was the first name imo and the fast attacking football you mentioned revolved around Sterling. We look devoid of ideas without him

Is being in that position a problem with the manager or just down to England’s lack of talent?

I wouldn’t say Southgate doesn’t have his faults but who else is there who takes people on as regularly and successfully as Sterling?

Personally I would suggest Grealish is a must when Sterling is unavailable

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Regular

by URZZZZ » 16 Oct 2020 00:51

South Coast Royal Also I think he may have been persuaded not to start with Gomez, Trent, Henderson or Calvert-Lewin because of the Merseyside derby at Saturday lunchtime.
I wish he had done the same with Pickford but I suppose that Pope will just have to bide his time.

That’s a good point about the Everton and Liverpool players actually

On goalies though, from what I can gather, Pope hasn’t had a great start to the season either, so whilst he’s normally a reliable option, maybe the decision was more difficult last night

In time, Henderson could be the man to fix our goalie problem but considering he doesn’t play regularly for his club, it’s rather difficult to justify his inclusion at the moment

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Regular

by URZZZZ » 16 Oct 2020 00:53

bcubed
Sutekh
bcubed
But he already was the first name imo and the fast attacking football you mentioned revolved around Sterling. We look devoid of ideas without him

Is being in that position a problem with the manager or just down to England’s lack of talent?

I wouldn’t say Southgate doesn’t have his faults but who else is there who takes people on as regularly and successfully as Sterling?

Personally I would suggest Grealish is a must when Sterling is unavailable

I think the problem is the game is evolving from possession tika taka style to a counter attacking system

The way we play is so heavily designed on possession and breaking through the lines, which I’m just not sure the current game is about. We need more pace in the team and as you say, those comfortable at taking a man on

1584 posts