Euro 2020

2571 posts
Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Euro 2020

by Winston Biscuit » 29 Jun 2021 12:55

St Pauli
Winston Biscuit
Snowflake Royal This is a great tournament because a bit of organisation and determination is proving to be a leveler for the second and third tier teams because all of the top tier look vulnerable.

yesterday was a brilliant days football but I am not on board with this being a great tournament tbh. I rated it a 6.5 after everyone had played one game but would probably knock that down further now.

Agreed, not enough crowd violence and tear ups in the hosting cities.

I couldn't put my finger on it, but yeah, the lack of white plastic chairs being hurled across piazza's is really hurting this tournament

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 29 Jun 2021 13:01

Winston Biscuit
St Pauli
Winston Biscuit
yesterday was a brilliant days football but I am not on board with this being a great tournament tbh. I rated it a 6.5 after everyone had played one game but would probably knock that down further now.

I couldn't put my finger on it, but yeah, the lack of white plastic chairs being hurled across piazza's is really hurting this tournament

Always added a frisson of unpredictability and something for the tabloids to get their teeth into. France 2016 was great for that, the Russians kicking the shit out of the English, then the English bringing in Welsh reinforcements and winning/drawing the day. Little French Ultra groups having a pop. The jingle of glass bottles smashing on cobbled streets. All from the safety of my armchair you understand. French police getting all hot and bothered and steaming in knowing they'll be even less comeback than when they knock about the locals, politicians who have never been to a football game and couldn't really give a shit having to pretend to and make comments about unacceptable behaviour.

Lovely stuff.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 29 Jun 2021 13:09

Lack of away supporters makes the difference.

I like a bit of crowd violence, agree the tournament has missed it.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 29 Jun 2021 13:24

St Pauli
Winston Biscuit
St Pauli

Always added a frisson of unpredictability and something for the tabloids to get their teeth into. France 2016 was great for that, the Russians kicking the shit out of the English, then the English bringing in Welsh reinforcements and winning/drawing the day. Little French Ultra groups having a pop. The jingle of glass bottles smashing on cobbled streets. All from the safety of my armchair you understand. French police getting all hot and bothered and steaming in knowing they'll be even less comeback than when they knock about the locals, politicians who have never been to a football game and couldn't really give a shit having to pretend to and make comments about unacceptable behaviour.

Lovely stuff.

Hmm

As someone who was in Marseilles I was just pleased to get out alive

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 29 Jun 2021 13:29

bcubed
St Pauli
Winston Biscuit

Lovely stuff.

Hmm

Exactly, like wars, these things are best enjoyed through the medium of television.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 29 Jun 2021 13:30

Is it really an international tournament unless some bloke called Steve from Walsall throws a bottle at a German?

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 29 Jun 2021 13:33

St Pauli
bcubed
St Pauli

Lovely stuff.

Hmm

Exactly, like wars, these things are best enjoyed through the medium of television.

And song. Vietnam was brilliant in that regard.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 29 Jun 2021 13:53

Next potential gr8 war to watch on telly?

Russia Vs Ukraine or Russia Vs Turkey are the only ones I can think of that could provide great viewing hours.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 29 Jun 2021 13:56

They'll never be another war involving large scale combat imo.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 29 Jun 2021 14:19

St Pauli
Winston Biscuit
St Pauli

Lovely stuff.

The Russian lads really brought it to that tournament...defo a game-changer

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 29 Jun 2021 14:43

What beers are we on tonight then lads?

Got Beavertown Lupoloid IPA, a heart 6% IPA with a punch

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 29 Jun 2021 15:20

BR0B0T
St Pauli
Winston Biscuit

Lovely stuff.

Well as above, better from afar. Sitting in bars next to some of these guys and listening to what they were saying and seeing their vacant eyes was scary as oxf*rd.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 29 Jun 2021 15:29

BR0B0T
St Pauli
Winston Biscuit

Lovely stuff.

Yeah I'm not so sure they did, they were very organised at beating up random pissed blokes in England shirts, which isn't that much of a challenge. But the livestreamed GoPro footage was an original idea.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 29 Jun 2021 15:30

St Pauli
BR0B0T
St Pauli

Lovely stuff.

Yeah I'm not so sure they did, they were very organised at beating up random pissed blokes in England shirts, which isn't that much of a challenge. But the livestreamed GoPro footage was an original idea.

Tiny numbers of well organized Russians compared to England and Wales

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 29 Jun 2021 15:34

5 points for random bloke in England shirt
-additional 2points if he has a beer in his hand at the start of the attack

25 points for England fan who is throwing a white plastic chair at you

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 29 Jun 2021 15:43

BR0B0T
St Pauli
BR0B0T

In that kind of situation they were in the numbers don't matter.

5 guys wanting and expecting a fight, surprising 10 normal guys who have no idea they're about to be involved in a fight, and didn't want to be in one anyway, will be over in seconds, allowing the 5 Russians to move on to the next group of 10 completely unsuspecting tipsy accountants from Hemel Hempstead.

If the 20 Russian guys had completely cleared the area of the groups of 100 or so pissed up England fans than yeah, but they didn't.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 29 Jun 2021 15:44

BR0B0T
St Pauli
BR0B0T

Think there were loads. Certainly enough. And most England fans these days are not looking to get into fights. So there were probably more Russian thugs than English thugs.

tulip
Hob Nob Addict

by tulip » 29 Jun 2021 16:41

Surprised this isn't on the BBC, I'll have to watch on Dutch tv then.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 29 Jun 2021 16:45

tulip Surprised this isn't on the BBC, I'll have to watch on Dutch tv then.

It is?

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 29 Jun 2021 16:54

Wembley cameramen focusing on the bra less German blonde women l in the crowd.

Top work!

2571 posts