England - the future....

3005 posts
Franchise FC
Hob Nob Addict

Re: England - the future....

by Franchise FC » 13 Oct 2021 11:38

Sanguine As with Southgate and his results, I'm never one to entertain 'in spite of' arguments very much. As above, this was the first time in 15 qualifiers that Kane hasn't scored. Likewise Sterling's dip in form for England is only this autumn, he was excellent for the most part at the Euros.

Owen used to be shite a lot of the time too, but got goals. Kane can keep stinking the place out if he keeps scoring. That's not to say though that I don't agree he isn't at the races at the moment. I'd probably give Abraham (who is, for Roma) a start against Albania, and Calvert-Lewin in San Marino.

Sadly, it looks like Abraham may not be available through injury and Calvert-Lewin is, likewise, missing through injury at the moment.
Danny Ings ? (obviously not even in the squad at the moment)
Ollie Watkins ?
Is Ivan Toney English ?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 13 Oct 2021 13:06

Sanguine
Royal Rother
:lol: Yep Southgate is a Football God, immune from any criticism whatsoever and yay, we're the champions of Europe after all.

I didn't say that, I suggested he knows far more about it than you, and that his results speak for themselves (including his failures, where for example our approach probably cost us in the Euros final against Italy).

Ironically in trying to suggest that I or others have a rigid view of Southgate, it is you who is guilty of that.

I have said so many times on here how highly I rate Southgate, but he has his blind spots IMHO and is not immune from criticism.

It would be silly if we can't feel free to criticise someone because he is better than his predecessors.

And do you really think he knows more about football than me? Have you not read my posts over the last 20 years? :lol:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Oct 2021 13:18

Southgate has done well as England boss, my only real criticism of him as that he’s too “safety first” and defensive at times which are possibly the main reasons for failing in the Euro final and also in the WC semi final.

Still if he has learnt from that there should be time for him to get the balance right in the next couple of tournaments.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sanguine » 18 Oct 2021 16:02

Next game behind closed doors for England, following the crowd trouble before the Euro 2020 final.

bcubed
Hob Nob Addict

by bcubed » 18 Oct 2021 16:11

Sanguine Next game behind closed doors for England, following the crowd trouble before the Euro 2020 final.

Not surprised. It's fair enough
That event was a shambles of organisation attended by an awful lot of oxf*rd

3005 posts