England - the future....

3654 posts
Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

Re: England - the future....

by Winston Biscuit » 01 Jun 2021 18:03

WestYorksRoyal
Winston Biscuit JWP is a bit meh, happy with him being left out. 4 right backs seems odd but maybe its with a mind on switching between full backs and wing backs. I would have left Reece James at home. Lingard had a great 3 1/2 months of a season, but before that was pretty w@nk for ages and has always been overrated.

I pay little attention to the national team, but I think I am happy with that squad.

We won't win it, because there are always teams better than us. When you look at the way the groups and knock out structure is set out I see it very hard for us to get beyond the round of 16, but that would give us 4 games including one against an old rival, and If we go out in R16 having played well and not been embarrassed I think that would be about right. Reckon people would take that.

I'd like to see a "big" win in the last 16, so everyone can get really excited. As fun as 2018 was, none of the results really created excitement, whereas topping our group and then knocking out Germany would see excitement levels go off the scale.

a win over one of the big boys would be amazing. If we get through the group stage then we are mostly likely playing either Spain, Sweden, Poland, Germany, France or Portugal in R16. Which is quite mentz tbh, but thoroughly entertaining! A win over one of them and then go out after fighting hard and coming close in the QF and I will be happy with that

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 01 Jun 2021 18:04

BR0B0T
Winston Biscuit JWP is a bit meh, happy with him being left out. 4 right backs seems odd but maybe its with a mind on switching between full backs and wing backs. I would have left Reece James at home. Lingard had a great 3 1/2 months of a season, but before that was pretty w@nk for ages and has always been overrated.

I pay little attention to the national team, but I think I am happy with that squad.

We won't win it, because there are always teams better than us. When you look at the way the groups and knock out structure is set out I see it very hard for us to get beyond the round of 16, but that would give us 4 games including one against an old rival, and If we go out in R16 having played well and not been embarrassed I think that would be about right. Reckon people would take that.

Being in the EU defo held our players back...watch them roar straight to the final WB!

We've taken back control of our ropey centre backs!!!

ICH!!

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 01 Jun 2021 18:31

WestYorksRoyal
BR0B0T There's bound to be a lot of head shaking at including 4 right-backs but...

Kyle Walker and Reece James have both played as the right-sided defender in a three (Shaw on the left)

TAA possibly better as a wing-back than a straight out defender (haven't seen that much of him this season tbf)

and Trippier...I can't rem, so some excellent analysis from me 8)

Do we really want a back 3 though? We lose a man in midfield and get overrun.

four CB's and four RB's

he's defo playing a back 5

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 01 Jun 2021 18:59

BR0B0T
WestYorksRoyal
BR0B0T There's bound to be a lot of head shaking at including 4 right-backs but...

Kyle Walker and Reece James have both played as the right-sided defender in a three (Shaw on the left)

TAA possibly better as a wing-back than a straight out defender (haven't seen that much of him this season tbf)

and Trippier...I can't rem, so some excellent analysis from me 8)

Do we really want a back 3 though? We lose a man in midfield and get overrun.

four CB's and four RB's

That does seem to be the case. Do we think it's 343 or 352? Ideally I'd go 352; allow 2 creative, ball playing players alongside Rice, with Sterling/Rashford/Sancho having a free reign to drift and make the runs beyond Kane.

Basically same as 2018 but with Alli and Lingard massively upgraded for Mount, Foden and Grealish.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 01 Jun 2021 19:31

Winston Biscuit
WestYorksRoyal

I'd like to see a "big" win in the last 16, so everyone can get really excited. As fun as 2018 was, none of the results really created excitement, whereas topping our group and then knocking out Germany would see excitement levels go off the scale.

a win over one of the big boys would be amazing. If we get through the group stage then we are mostly likely playing either Spain, Sweden, Poland, Germany, France or Portugal in R16. Which is quite mentz tbh, but thoroughly entertaining! A win over one of them and then go out after fighting hard and coming close in the QF and I will be happy with that

Cmon Winston, you got to think bigger than that mate.....If they go out with a whimper as they did against Croatia I would be livid. This is a decent side. Dare to dream, go for it, think Hal Robson Kanu or Sam Vokes on the end of a Chris Gunter worldy of a cross v the world number 1 one side and favourites Belgium in front of their own fans......England need to just set their flair players free for once....

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 01 Jun 2021 19:35

Ascotexgunner
Winston Biscuit
WestYorksRoyal I'd like to see a "big" win in the last 16, so everyone can get really excited. As fun as 2018 was, none of the results really created excitement, whereas topping our group and then knocking out Germany would see excitement levels go off the scale.

Cmon Winston, you got to think bigger than that mate.....If they go out with a whimper as they did against Croatia I would be livid. This is a decent side. Dare to dream, go for it, think Hal Robson Kanu or Sam Vokes on the end of a Chris Gunter worldy of a cross v the world number 1 one side and favourites Belgium in front of their own fans......England need to just set their flair players free for once....

Feels like you are the biggest England fan on here! :lol:

I dont think we went out with a whimper to Croatia. They were a really decent team. Didnt we lose 3 games in that tournament? We were just one of a number of also rans who on their day could win or lose to another also ran. I pretty much expect the same this time round, it's our level.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 01 Jun 2021 19:43

If you compare us to other squads, we're not miles off. France look strongest. Our defence looks weak, whereas theirs is so good that even Laporte can't get a game.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 01 Jun 2021 19:55

Winston Biscuit
Ascotexgunner
Winston Biscuit

Feels like you are the biggest England fan on here! :lol:

I dont think we went out with a whimper to Croatia. They were a really decent team. Didnt we lose 3 games in that tournament? We were just one of a number of also rans who on their day could win or lose to another also ran. I pretty much expect the same this time round, it's our level.

I'm really not selling it to well am I. Only hope Zip doesn't read it. :lol: :lol:

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 01 Jun 2021 21:08

Winston Biscuit
BR0B0T

Being in the EU defo held our players back...watch them roar straight to the final WB!

We've taken back control of our ropey centre backs!!!

ICH!!

This will be full of remoaner tears this summer

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 01 Jun 2021 21:12

Training for the summer

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 02 Jun 2021 08:28

What is the point in taking Henderson? Complete and utter waste of time.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 02 Jun 2021 08:52

who is going to be the 'EscapeGoat' when England fail to win the Euros

I'm going for Stones pulling off one of his moments of madness or...

...Bruno Penandes diving and then scoring the hop, skip penalty

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 02 Jun 2021 09:01

also,just had a quick check and the last time England beat any legitimate good team in a knockout stage was 1966

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 02 Jun 2021 09:17

BR0B0T who is going to be the 'EscapeGoat' when England fail to win the Euros

We are long overdue a goalkeeper being blamed for everything. I think Henderson or Pickford will be the fall guy this time around.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 02 Jun 2021 09:28

NathStPaul

We are long overdue a goalkeeper being blamed for everything. I think Henderson or Pickford will be the fall guy this time around.

David Seaman got a fair bit of stick but not full-on Escapegoat like Becks

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 02 Jun 2021 09:32

BR0B0T
NathStPaul

David Seaman got a fair bit of stick but not full-on Escapegoat like Becks

Just remembered Rob Green in 2010, he got a fair bit of stick.

Felt sorry for Seaman, Ronaldinho fluked one. Was harder to deal with than it looked.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 02 Jun 2021 11:00

NathStPaul What is the point in taking Henderson? Complete and utter waste of time.

Swap Henderson for Phillips

Offers nothing in an England shirt. Painfully average at best

Although do think he’s class for Leeds, two contrasting styles

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 02 Jun 2021 11:04

WestYorksRoyal
BR0B0T
WestYorksRoyal Do we really want a back 3 though? We lose a man in midfield and get overrun.

four CB's and four RB's

That does seem to be the case. Do we think it's 343 or 352? Ideally I'd go 352; allow 2 creative, ball playing players alongside Rice, with Sterling/Rashford/Sancho having a free reign to drift and make the runs beyond Kane.

Basically same as 2018 but with Alli and Lingard massively upgraded for Mount, Foden and Grealish.

Pretty sure we’ll be playing 4 at the back but with the potential to change to 3/5 if it isn’t working, hence the flexibility of players like Walker, James etc

Happy to see Saka included, would start him at LB against the weaker opponents, with Shaw in against the tougher ones

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 02 Jun 2021 11:07

URZZZZ
NathStPaul What is the point in taking Henderson? Complete and utter waste of time.

BTW that wasn't a dig at Henderson's ability, he of course is good enough to play for England. The fact is he hasn't been fit for months and won't be fit come June 13th. His selection serves no purpose for us.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 02 Jun 2021 11:11

NathStPaul
URZZZZ

BTW that wasn't a dig at Henderson's ability, he of course is good enough to play for England. The fact is he hasn't been fit for months and won't be fit come June 13th. His selection serves no purpose for us.

Agreed to an extent but could be for some leadership and experience within the group? 26 is a large group, there’ll be plenty of players that don’t feature considering only 14 (or is it 5 subs) can only get on in one given game

3654 posts