3599 posts
bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: England - the future....

by bcubed » 12 Sep 2023 15:00

Franchise FC
Sanguine
Sutekh
Think that's a safe bet but international football has changed so much that it's difficult to compare managers on anything other than performances in finals of tournaments given there are so many pointless qualifieres against the "no hopers" these days.

I did a thing before where I showed that there aren't really more 'no hopers' doing the rounds these days than before. Can't be bothered to do it again, but the goalscoring records of Charlton and Lineker are worth a look.

Anyway, Southgate's tournament record is almost peerless too.

The only real competition formSouthgate is Ramsey

Imagine the fallout for Southgate if we’d been 2-0 up against one of the top half dozen in the world and he’d substituted our two best players ….. and lost

You had to bring that up!
I'm only just getting over it....

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 12 Sep 2023 15:02

bcubed
Franchise FC
Sanguine
I did a thing before where I showed that there aren't really more 'no hopers' doing the rounds these days than before. Can't be bothered to do it again, but the goalscoring records of Charlton and Lineker are worth a look.

The only real competition formSouthgate is Ramsey

Imagine the fallout for Southgate if we’d been 2-0 up against one of the top half dozen in the world and he’d substituted our two best players ….. and lost

Apologies
It was ‘73 that has never gone for me

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 12 Sep 2023 15:04

Franchise FC
bcubed
Franchise FC The only real competition formSouthgate is Ramsey

Apologies

Oh you've brought that up too!!
Norman Hunter!

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 12 Sep 2023 15:07

bcubed
Franchise FC
bcubed

Apologies

Norman Hunter!

What am I thinking ?
I’ll shut up now
:lol: :lol:

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 12 Sep 2023 15:08

Franchise FC
bcubed
Franchise FC Apologies

Norman Hunter!

What am I thinking ?
I’ll shut up now
:lol: :lol:

:D

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Sep 2023 15:11

Sanguine
Sutekh
Sanguine Re Southgate's supposed 'safety first' approach, it is noteworthy that he has the second highest win percentage of any England manager except Fabio Capello. And at 2.2 goals per game, we score more than under any England manager except Walter Winterbottom, who left the role in 1963. And excluding McClaren's 18 games in charge, we have a better defensive record under Southgate than at any point since Glenn Hoddle departed the job in 1999.

In short, I reckon he is getting much more right than he is wrong.

Think that's a safe bet but international football has changed so much that it's difficult to compare managers on anything other than performances in finals of tournaments given there are so many pointless qualifieres against the "no hopers" these days.

Re: no hopers, football has moved on so much, and even England too(!), that these days if England are in a group of 5, at least 3 of the other teams might as well not be there, from England's perspective, and sometimes even the other team in that group isn't much of an opponent either. Back in the 70s and 80s England would likely be given group of 4 or 5 where one opponent really would be capable of giving England a competitive game and the others were just awkward banana skins that you'd have to get right or rack up the goals against to ensure that the GD was superior enough to beat off that other decent team in the group.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 12 Sep 2023 15:22

Sanguine
Sutekh
Sanguine Re Southgate's supposed 'safety first' approach, it is noteworthy that he has the second highest win percentage of any England manager except Fabio Capello. And at 2.2 goals per game, we score more than under any England manager except Walter Winterbottom, who left the role in 1963. And excluding McClaren's 18 games in charge, we have a better defensive record under Southgate than at any point since Glenn Hoddle departed the job in 1999.

Until he comes up against teams with a top players or a top manager.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 12 Sep 2023 15:24

Orion1871
Sanguine
Sutekh

Until he comes up against teams with a top players or a top manager.

Seems to me that who those teams are gets re-written depending on who England play. France are, of course, the only team to beat England in a major tournament since 2018.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Sep 2023 20:33

Very different defensive problem to solve from Scotland compared to Ukraine, but this is still much better from England. Higher tempo at times. More one touch stuff. Also looking to vary it up and get in behind too.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 12 Sep 2023 20:37

What a piss easy group Scotland must be in. Cmon England grind the cheating gobby f+cks to dust.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Sep 2023 20:56

Ascotexgunner What a piss easy group Scotland must be in. Cmon England grind the cheating gobby f+cks to dust.

Spain, Scotland, Norway, Georgia, Cyprus

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 12 Sep 2023 21:11

What a finish by Maguire

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 12 Sep 2023 21:14

Felt a bit sad inside when it showed Maguire close up. He must feel like he whole world is against him.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 12 Sep 2023 21:15

McSlabhead, Scottish secret agent.

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 12 Sep 2023 21:17

It was looking so refreshing to see England without Maguire and Henderson

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 12 Sep 2023 21:18

Winston Biscuit Felt a bit sad inside when it showed Maguire close up. He must feel like he whole world is against him.

TBF he had a way out of United. West Ham would have been a good fit. Southgate isn't helping him by picking him. They both seem intent on destroying his career.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 12 Sep 2023 21:20

Snowflake Royal
Ascotexgunner What a piss easy group Scotland must be in. Cmon England grind the cheating gobby f+cks to dust.

Spain, Scotland, Norway, Georgia, Cyprus

Spain aren't all that anymore. Norway are below us which shows how poor they are. The other 2 shouldn't pose a problem. I can see how they have won 5 in a row.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 12 Sep 2023 21:24

Lovely goal. Brilliant work from Bellingham.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 12 Sep 2023 21:31

Who knew Bellingham would look so good without Southgate shoving Maddison in his way?

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 12 Sep 2023 22:24

Sutekh

That last line is nonsense isn’t it ? There has always been “no hopers” . Yer Luxembourgs (sorry Lux) , Malta’s , San Marino’s , Faroe Islands etc have always been around . Arguably those teams are stronger now than they were back in the day .

I don’t think Southgate is great but his record more than stands up to most.

England fans seem to have some ridiculous expectations based on what certain players can do when given advantageous circumstances at club level and a lack of memory fir what proceeded him (also with supposedly great players)

3599 posts