Tomori
Chilwell

Rice
Bellingham
Maddison

Saka
Kane
Foden

Harsh on Rashford, but can't really argue with that front three. Love that midfield, but I can see Southgate persevering with 2 DMs instead of Maddison. And I'd have Trippier over Chilwell, but admittedly I haven't seen much of Chilwell this season.

BRO_BOT
Hob Nob Regular

Re: England - the future....

by BRO_BOT » 18 Oct 2023 04:55

A lot of the better teams are using the 3 2 system when they have the ball

------------------------ pickford --------------------

---------- walker --------- tomori ---------- shaw

------------------ rice --------- stones --------------

This allows that double pivot, with 5 in defense and 5 attackers

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 18 Oct 2023 07:52

Pepe the Horseman
NathStPaul
BRO_BOT what's the current best 11?

IMO

Pickford

Walker
Stones
Tomori
Chilwell

Rice
Bellingham
Maddison

Saka
Kane
Foden

Harsh on Rashford, but can't really argue with that front three. Love that midfield, but I can see Southgate persevering with 2 DMs instead of Maddison. And I'd have Trippier over Chilwell, but admittedly I haven't seen much of Chilwell this season.

I forgot about Luke Shaw, bung him in over Chilwell. I hear you RE: Trippier but I just want my right and left back to be right and left footed.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 18 Oct 2023 08:20

NathStPaul
Pepe the Horseman
NathStPaul IMO

Pickford

Walker
Stones
Tomori
Chilwell

Rice
Bellingham
Maddison

Saka
Kane
Foden

I forgot about Luke Shaw, bung him in over Chilwell. I hear you RE: Trippier but I just want my right and left back to be right and left footed.

Do not give Bellingham a deeper role that sacrifices the number 10 position he plays for Madrid.

I know the remaining CM position is an issue, but I don't care. The team balance is more important. Currently, JWP seems like the best option but I can only assume he's shagged Southgate's wife or something like that. So it'll probably be Phillips: let's hope he gets a move in January as he is good enough. The issue is his playing time.

But the hill I will die on is that all options for the problem CM position are less bad than sacrificing Bellingham from the no. 10 role.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Oct 2023 08:22

Maybe two set ups.

One to take on the pack the defence and hope to break approach of decent but lesser teams - see Ukraine. Less pace more technique. Grealish, Foden maybe, more than Rashford, Saka?

One to take on the teams that will come at us and are in our league. More pace and running in this one.

I'd keep the two DM approach for both. Because our backline is the weak link regardless.

Big question is probably which of our star players gets nobbled pre-tournament.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 18 Oct 2023 08:46

South Coast Royal
Sanguine As before, I'm a big fan of Southgate, but he's being very combative on stuff at the moment, unnecessarily in my view.

In this case, Henderson's 79 caps are irrelevant. I want to know why Southgate thinks that, right now, he is a better pick than someone like JWP.

Agree that for footballing reasons Henderson should not now be a starter.

I do however think it is a bit OTT from the fans to boo the player because in going to Saudi he supposedly is making a statement that previous support for LGBT was insincere.
I can't say that I have heard from the rest of the squad who wore rainbow laces etc shouting from the rooftops that they believe heart and soul in supporting LGBT.

What about Trippier and Wilson having their salaries paid by PIF money, shouldn't they be held to account in the same way?

Tbh Vic, I think those two equivalences are pretty poor.

Whilst I don't expect players necessarily to make a personal stand on these issues there is absolutely an opportunity for those who have previously tabled very strong support for LGBT causes to consider that stance when, not just accepting money from, but moving one's life and career to a country where being gay is punishable by prison or worse.

Trippier and Wilson can hardly be held to account for their club's ownership and further haven't previously so publicly and strongly backed LGBT causes like Henderson did. Whilst I don't really see the point of booing him I can absolutely understand those groups disappointment in him.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 18 Oct 2023 08:50

WestYorksRoyal Maguire over Guehi and Dunk :x :evil:

I do wonder how this affects Southgate's legacy; I think the answer is not much. If we win next summer he's our 2nd greatest ever, and if he doesn't he's a good manager who ultimately fell short, and that holds whoever he picks. But the short term reaction will be much more visceral if Maguire, Henderson and Phillips play a big role in an unsuccessful tournament.

If Southgate wins us the Euros next year he goes down as our greatest ever manager in my view. Would be our only major tournament win on foreign soil, and would be in addition to another final and a World Cup semi (also the furthest we have gone in a World Cup tournament abroad).

He is already our second greatest ever.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 18 Oct 2023 09:02

Snowflake Royal

Maybe two set ups.

One to take on the pack the defence and hope to break approach of decent but lesser teams - see Ukraine. Less pace more technique. Grealish, Foden maybe, more than Rashford, Saka?

One to take on the teams that will come at us and are in our league. More pace and running in this one.

I'd keep the two DM approach for both. Because our backline is the weak link regardless.

The 3 players we can't handle injuries to are Kane, Bellingham and Rice. Anyone else and we can manage, though Walker would be a big loss.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Oct 2023 10:30

WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal

Maybe two set ups.

Agree.

The 3 players we can't handle injuries to are Kane, Bellingham and Rice. Anyone else and we can manage, though Walker would be a big loss.

Do we have a left back? Trippier always used to be a RB didn’t he?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 18 Oct 2023 10:45

Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal Maybe two set ups.

Agree.

Do we have a left back? Trippier always used to be a RB didn’t he?

We have 2 in Shaw and Chilwell. Unfortunately both are unavailable but we can handle an injury to one of them. Colwill has started playing LB for Chelsea too.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 18 Oct 2023 10:46

Sanguine
South Coast Royal
Sanguine As before, I'm a big fan of Southgate, but he's being very combative on stuff at the moment, unnecessarily in my view.

In this case, Henderson's 79 caps are irrelevant. I want to know why Southgate thinks that, right now, he is a better pick than someone like JWP.

Agree that for footballing reasons Henderson should not now be a starter.

I do however think it is a bit OTT from the fans to boo the player because in going to Saudi he supposedly is making a statement that previous support for LGBT was insincere.
I can't say that I have heard from the rest of the squad who wore rainbow laces etc shouting from the rooftops that they believe heart and soul in supporting LGBT.

What about Trippier and Wilson having their salaries paid by PIF money, shouldn't they be held to account in the same way?

Tbh Vic, I think those two equivalences are pretty poor.

Whilst I don't expect players necessarily to make a personal stand on these issues there is absolutely an opportunity for those who have previously tabled very strong support for LGBT causes to consider that stance when, not just accepting money from, but moving one's life and career to a country where being gay is punishable by prison or worse.

Trippier and Wilson can hardly be held to account for their club's ownership and further haven't previously so publicly and strongly backed LGBT causes like Henderson did. Whilst I don't really see the point of booing him I can absolutely understand those groups disappointment in him.

I think it is a very difficult area when discussing sport and politics.
Should our cricket team have played in Pakistan where LGBT rights don't exist?
Should our sportsmen go on holiday to Saudi?
In doing these things are they saying that they agree with those regimes.?

The rainbow laces and on shirts was something that the whole England squad adhered to and yet I do wonder if all those players, especially any Muslims, truly bought into the message.
I wonder because I haven't heard any of that squad come out and publicly say that they strongly agree with gay relationships or trans.

Anyway enough of that as our views differ but good to hear the majority cheering Henderson rather than booing him.
As for the match, for a change an entertaining game for a qualifier.

Kane and Bellingham were outstanding-Kane made the most of playing against a 19 year old centre-back (Italy missed their old guard centre-backs) and was very creative when dropping deep.
Bellingham drove the team on brilliantly and is just on top of his game at the moment.

As for winning the Euros or the World Cup in the near future I do feel that we may fall short because of our defence.
If we can find a better back 4 than those playing last night I feel we have every chance even possibly of winning a World Cup (if Kane defies ageing) but each of those has defensive deficiences as do Shaw and Chilwell as current options on the left and TAA and James on the right.
Hopefully amongst Guehi, Tomori, White and co we will see some progression thereby forcing themselves into the line-up.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 18 Oct 2023 10:50

Sanguine
WestYorksRoyal Maguire over Guehi and Dunk :x :evil:

I do wonder how this affects Southgate's legacy; I think the answer is not much. If we win next summer he's our 2nd greatest ever, and if he doesn't he's a good manager who ultimately fell short, and that holds whoever he picks. But the short term reaction will be much more visceral if Maguire, Henderson and Phillips play a big role in an unsuccessful tournament.

If Southgate wins us the Euros next year he goes down as our greatest ever manager in my view. Would be our only major tournament win on foreign soil, and would be in addition to another final and a World Cup semi (also the furthest we have gone in a World Cup tournament abroad).

He is already our second greatest ever.

Difficult to argue with that and foreign soil is still so often an issue for our teams-great at Wembley but not so elsewhere.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: England - the future….

by URZZZZ » 18 Oct 2023 17:06

Poor first 30 minutes. Miles too static up top, Foden couldn’t get into the game and Rashford kept running into blind alleys whilst failing to do his defensive duties.

Much the better side after that and deserved winners in the end. Italy were neat, tidy and intricate but struggled with the two most important things ultimately, an end product and defending. Southgate’s pragmatism once again turns out to be the winner

Also nice to see so many people acknowledge Maguire’s performance yesterday :?:

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 19 Oct 2023 13:01

Read something earlier that is very true - no-one is talking about Declan Rice's transfer fee. And at £100m he's a very expensive player. And that's because he has been nothing but excellent at Arsenal, because he is becoming world-class. And only 24. I'm very excited for what could be close to a decade with Rice and Bellingham in our midfield, with Saka further up the pitch. And Kane probably has three tournaments left in him too, with 2028 now 'coming home'.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 19 Oct 2023 14:21

Sanguine Read something earlier that is very true - no-one is talking about Declan Rice's transfer fee. And at £100m he's a very expensive player. And that's because he has been nothing but excellent at Arsenal, because he is becoming world-class. And only 24. I'm very excited for what could be close to a decade with Rice and Bellingham in our midfield, with Saka further up the pitch. And Kane probably has three tournaments left in him too, with 2028 now 'coming home'.

I heard the other day that holding midfielders are now some of the most desirable and most expensive of transfers.
Seeing how key Rodri and Busquets have been over the years it is understandable.
Some have said that Rice has more to his game than just being a holding player and he may in time show a bit more going forward as both Rodri and Busquets have shown as well as Casameiro.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 19 Oct 2023 16:37

South Coast Royal
Sanguine Read something earlier that is very true - no-one is talking about Declan Rice's transfer fee. And at £100m he's a very expensive player. And that's because he has been nothing but excellent at Arsenal, because he is becoming world-class. And only 24. I'm very excited for what could be close to a decade with Rice and Bellingham in our midfield, with Saka further up the pitch. And Kane probably has three tournaments left in him too, with 2028 now 'coming home'.

I heard the other day that holding midfielders are now some of the most desirable and most expensive of transfers.
Seeing how key Rodri and Busquets have been over the years it is understandable.
Some have said that Rice has more to his game than just being a holding player and he may in time show a bit more going forward as both Rodri and Busquets have shown as well as Casameiro.

I think that is true re Rice having more to his game than just a holding midfielder, I think there were a few statistics that backed this up as well. I think he was seen at West Ham as being progressive with the ball, with his passing and dribbling ability and would often carry the ball several yards, so a strong midfield runner. I think a lot of the time he made runs into the left channel with the ball often.

I think it was Moyes (possibly Kevin Nolan) who said he was one of the best finishers at the club as well and said that one area where he can really improve his game is by adding some more goals to his game, as he had the potential and ability to do so which was displayed in training often.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 19 Oct 2023 16:50

South Coast Royal

Just look at City without Rodri. Miss him 10x more than KDB. If Rice were to miss the Euros it would be a disaster for England; worse than if Bellingham missed out, and on a par with Kane.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 19 Oct 2023 19:30

WestYorksRoyal
South Coast Royal

Just look at City without Rodri. Miss him 10x more than KDB. If Rice were to miss the Euros it would be a disaster for England; worse than if Bellingham missed out, and on a par with Kane.

Bellingham would be the worst loss for me

Don't think we have a replacement that comes close

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 10 Nov 2023 11:01

James Maddison having pulled out of the England squad announced yesterday will be an immediate test for Southgate's insistence that the door to the squad remains open for the likes of Raheem Sterling. Very easy 'win' here for Gareth from a selection standpoint.

He continues to tie himself in knots though - was very clear yesterday that if Aaron Ramsdale spends the next few months on the bench it will be difficult to select him. Contradicts the continued selection of Kalvin Phillips.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Nov 2023 09:23

I see the U17 world cup is on at the moment and yet there's naff all information or coverage anywhere in this country. From what little coverage there is England are currently 1-0 up on New Caledonia in a group also with Iran and Brazil.

3599 posts