England - the future....

3599 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: England - the future....

by Sutekh » 21 Nov 2023 10:34

Sanguine A poor week, but it is what it is. We are only a few weeks removed from beating Italy. Again.

Guehi was excellent. I've only seen clips of Bobby Moore, but there is something very Moore-like about the way he moves with the ball. Glides, almost as if there is no-one else on the pitch.

Not much else to say. Just five shots on target in 180 minutes against two poor sides is a bit weird. Equally North Macedonia also got a draw with Italy, and Ukraine came back from two goals down. Maybe they are just decent at home.

We move on. Will be one of the top seeds for the group stage draw, which is on 2nd December. Italy, Netherlands and Serbia will be waiting in pots 3 or 4 ready to be part of a 'group of death'.

Is there any restriction on teams getting teams in their groups who were with them in qualifying i.e. could England get Italy again?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 21 Nov 2023 10:46

Sutekh
Sanguine A poor week, but it is what it is. We are only a few weeks removed from beating Italy. Again.

Guehi was excellent. I've only seen clips of Bobby Moore, but there is something very Moore-like about the way he moves with the ball. Glides, almost as if there is no-one else on the pitch.

Not much else to say. Just five shots on target in 180 minutes against two poor sides is a bit weird. Equally North Macedonia also got a draw with Italy, and Ukraine came back from two goals down. Maybe they are just decent at home.

We move on. Will be one of the top seeds for the group stage draw, which is on 2nd December. Italy, Netherlands and Serbia will be waiting in pots 3 or 4 ready to be part of a 'group of death'.

Is there any restriction on teams getting teams in their groups who were with them in qualifying i.e. could England get Italy again?

I don't believe so, we very much could. Italy will be in Pot 4 if either Croatia or Switzerland win their final group match. If that materialises, then one of the seeded teams could find themselves in a group with Denmark (2), Netherlands (3) and Italy (4). Equally, Albania (2), Slovakia (3) and <Play-Off Winner> (4) is possible.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 21 Nov 2023 10:53

Sanguine Guehi was excellent. I've only seen clips of Bobby Moore, but there is something very Moore-like about the way he moves with the ball. Glides, almost as if there is no-one else on the pitch.

I wasn't that impressed with Guehi last night, but granted he does look like Bobby Moore but only in comparison when he's got Maguire playing next to him. Someone really needs to tell Maguire that at the moment he's not an elegant ball playing centreback. When your left back is already playing pretty much as an attacking midfielder you don't want you centreback striding forward too. We really made the middle of the pitch far too congested last night. Can we please wrap Bellingham in cotton wool until the Euros, we've looked awful without him the last couple of matches.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 21 Nov 2023 11:14

6ft Kerplunk
Sanguine Guehi was excellent. I've only seen clips of Bobby Moore, but there is something very Moore-like about the way he moves with the ball. Glides, almost as if there is no-one else on the pitch.

I wasn't that impressed with Guehi last night, but granted he does look like Bobby Moore but only in comparison when he's got Maguire playing next to him. Someone really needs to tell Maguire that at the moment he's not an elegant ball playing centreback. When your left back is already playing pretty much as an attacking midfielder you don't want you centreback striding forward too. We really made the middle of the pitch far too congested last night. Can we please wrap Bellingham in cotton wool until the Euros, we've looked awful without him the last couple of matches.

Guehi just exudes calm, to me. That's what I want from an England centre-back, the best always seems to have so much time on the ball.

As much as Southgate is being a bit belligerent, I can't see a scenario where Henderson should be in the squad next summer, and I'd argue Maguire too, but at worst I expect the latter to go as backup.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 21 Nov 2023 12:04

Franchise FC
Royal Rother I’m not sure what worse - Dion Dublin’s constant drivel, the referee, or Rashford’s cameo.

One particular Rashford effort of note
Receives the ball tight to the left hand touchline ….. and turns left

Yeah, that was pretty good. As was the free kick.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 21 Nov 2023 13:20

Sanguine As much as Southgate is being a bit belligerent, I can't see a scenario where Henderson should be in the squad next summer, and I'd argue Maguire too, but at worst I expect the latter to go as backup.

Problem is that although we seem to have strength in depth in some positions in others its paper thin. Maguire gets in because nobody else is really pushing him. I'd have left him out for these two games just to give others a go without him there dragging down their performance. Even in midfield last night we were poor, I think Henderson may well have offered something better than Alexander-Arnold who looked a bit lost in both games. Not saying he played particularly badly but it looked to me like he was always having to think about where he should be positionally rather than it coming naturally to him.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 21 Nov 2023 13:32

6ft Kerplunk
Sanguine As much as Southgate is being a bit belligerent, I can't see a scenario where Henderson should be in the squad next summer, and I'd argue Maguire too, but at worst I expect the latter to go as backup.

Problem is that although we seem to have strength in depth in some positions in others its paper thin. Maguire gets in because nobody else is really pushing him. I'd have left him out for these two games just to give others a go without him there dragging down their performance. Even in midfield last night we were poor, I think Henderson may well have offered something better than Alexander-Arnold who looked a bit lost in both games. Not saying he played particularly badly but it looked to me like he was always having to think about where he should be positionally rather than it coming naturally to him.

Not to diminish TAA at all, but if ever a player is a function of a system, it is TAA at Liverpool (to an extent Salah, too). He's world-class, not an ounce of doubt about it. As long as he is playing in Klopp's system.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Nov 2023 13:41

6ft Kerplunk

Think there's enough CB talent for England to consider Maguire as non-essential. I like Tomori, Guehi, Colwill and think both Quansah and Branthwaite have some really decent promise..

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 21 Nov 2023 13:48

Sutekh
6ft Kerplunk

Think there's enough CB talent for England to consider Maguire as non-essential. I like Tomori, Guehi, Colwill and think both Quansah and Branthwaite have some really decent promise..

Yep, plus Stones as first-choice, and Dunk, White, Konsa. In not having a truly world-class CB, I think they are mostly interchangeable.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 21 Nov 2023 14:19

If I could take one former player from my lifetime in this team, it would be Rio Ferdinand. CB is such a glaring weakness; he would offer pace, composure and the ability to start attacks from the back. You can argue over who our best player since 1990 is, but we're not wanting in the attacking positions. A CB of his calibre would make us the best in the world imo.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 22 Nov 2023 23:03

Sutekh
Four Of Clubs [Under-17 World Cup] cont.....

....topped the group - now face Uzbekistan on Wed AM (08:30 GMT) in last 16

:

If England get past Uzbekistan they then face the winners of France v Senegal in the QFs next Saturday (25th) morning and the winners of that game will get one of Mali, Iran, Morocco or Mexico in the semis on 28th November.

FIFA+ is available via the FIFA website.

....it's still not coming home.....

L1-2 this AM

......France bt Senegal on pens after a 0-0

Q-Fs
Fri
Spain v Germany 08:30
Brazil v Argentina 12:00
Sat
France v Uzbekistan 08:30
Mali v Morocco 12:00

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Nov 2023 08:36

Four Of Clubs
Sutekh
Four Of Clubs [Under-17 World Cup] cont.....

....topped the group - now face Uzbekistan on Wed AM (08:30 GMT) in last 16

:

If England get past Uzbekistan they then face the winners of France v Senegal in the QFs next Saturday (25th) morning and the winners of that game will get one of Mali, Iran, Morocco or Mexico in the semis on 28th November.

FIFA+ is available via the FIFA website.

....it's still not coming home.....

L1-2 this AM

......France bt Senegal on pens after a 0-0

Q-Fs
Fri
Spain v Germany 08:30
Brazil v Argentina 12:00
Sat
France v Uzbekistan 08:30
Mali v Morocco 12:00

Greg Lincoln out.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 04 Mar 2024 09:33

I'm down on here as one of Southgate's biggest supporters, he has been phenomenal for England. But what a bunch of players we now have. And frankly if Rice, Foden, Bellingham, Saka and Kane don't all start in our first match at the Euros (and any match for which they are available), then the guy is absolutely nuts.

And this is before we talk about somehow finding a way to make TAA effective in and England shirt, and with Cole Palmer developing into a genuine selection headache for the future too.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 04 Mar 2024 10:15

Sanguine I'm down on here as one of Southgate's biggest supporters, he has been phenomenal for England. But what a bunch of players we now have. And frankly if Rice, Foden, Bellingham, Saka and Kane don't all start in our first match at the Euros (and any match for which they are available), then the guy is absolutely nuts.

And this is before we talk about somehow finding a way to make TAA effective in and England shirt, and with Cole Palmer developing into a genuine selection headache for the future too.

Would actually start Palmer, he has something about him. Strikes me a born winner.

Would go with Rice, Bellingham and Foden as a midfield 3 and have Saka on the right wing and Palmer on the left wing.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 04 Mar 2024 10:46

But what about Jordan Henderson?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 04 Mar 2024 12:43

Shame the defensive options are so meagre and we're screwed for a striker if Kane gets crocked.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 04 Mar 2024 14:26

Sutekh Shame the defensive options are so meagre and we're screwed for a striker if Kane gets crocked.

I think Watkins would chip in with a few goals if needed.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 04 Mar 2024 15:22

Sanguine
Sutekh Shame the defensive options are so meagre and we're screwed for a striker if Kane gets crocked.

I think Watkins would chip in with a few goals if needed.

I'd rather have Ivan Toney tbh. I think he is better suited to international football.

BRO_BOT
Hob Nob Regular

by BRO_BOT » 05 Mar 2024 22:46

NathStPaul
Sanguine I'm down on here as one of Southgate's biggest supporters, he has been phenomenal for England. But what a bunch of players we now have. And frankly if Rice, Foden, Bellingham, Saka and Kane don't all start in our first match at the Euros (and any match for which they are available), then the guy is absolutely nuts.

Would actually start Palmer, he has something about him. Strikes me a born winner.

Would go with Rice, Bellingham and Foden as a midfield 3 and have Saka on the right wing and Palmer on the left wing.

Mainoo will be knocking on the door shortly as well, very composed player

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 05 Mar 2024 22:53

BRO_BOT
NathStPaul

Mainoo will be knocking on the door shortly as well, very composed player

Yep agreed, should definitely be in the squad. If someone like Henderson got in over him I'll be furious.

3599 posts