England - the future....

3599 posts
Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

Re: England - the future....

by Winston Biscuit » 24 Jun 2021 10:36

Hendo I'm already getting hyped for the game on Tuesday

i am already bored of the media hype for it. I will be bouncing off the walls on Tuesday afternoon as I wait for the game, but 5 days of being reminded what happened in the last few games against them and some pundits telling us that 'you can never write off the Germans' or using the word 'efficient' to describe them? I am very much OUT! for that

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 24 Jun 2021 10:36

Actually fancy us more against a side like Germany. They will come on to us a lot more than the teams we have played so far which will enable us to play on the counter, suits our attackers a lot more.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 24 Jun 2021 10:39

WestYorksRoyal
Winston Biscuit I also have a slight bit of an issue with poorly taken penalties that go in. The 'a penalty that goes in is a good penalty' mantra that gets rolled out couldn't be more wrong imo as it just encourages the continuation of taking penalties poorly

Dier's winning penalty against Colombia was really not a good one. But the odds are stacked in your favour as the taker; get it on target and even if it's not a good one you're giving yourself a decent chance.

If it goes in then you are too busy celebrating and moving on with things to worry about how it was taken. But I would be surprised if the penalty taker was not having to have a conversation before the next game and maybe practicing more in training. a better taken penalty gives you a better chance of scoring it

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 24 Jun 2021 10:40

I'm looking forward to all the VTs in the build-up to kick off focusing on the defeat in Euro 96 and Southgate's penalty miss.

I swear no other nation glorifies their failure like the English :lol:

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Jun 2021 10:44

genome I'm looking forward to all the VTs in the build-up to kick off focusing on the defeat in Euro 96 and Southgate's penalty miss.

I swear no other nation glorifies their failure like the English :lol:

No doubt ITV will show that Gazza's Tears documentary as well (which is brilliant, tbf).

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 24 Jun 2021 10:46

Maybe a bit of this from the tabloids

Fritz..... :roll:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jun 2021 11:14

Silver Fox
Snowflake Royal I know our side of the draw looks easier, but I don't exactly fancy our chances against:
Germany
Netherlands
Wales
Denmark
Sweden

What's changed since 2 days ago Ian?

Snowflake Royal
Silver Fox
Not by England though

England could certainly beat Portugal. Germany aren't the force they were and France have struggled for goals so far.

Italy are the only team I think is a guaranteed loss if we go for it. Our problem against scotland was we just didn't try to win.

There's some subtlety of language you might be missing there.

Italy are pretty much the only side I think we're guaranteed to lose to. We *can* beat any of the others.

But whether we will or not.... most of them are likely to be tight affairs we could slip up in.

And between the two posts we put in another fairly dull and negative performance, making hard work of a limited Czech side, albeit with a win.

Can you see England scoring two goals? Or keeping a clean sheet against a good strike force... we could, but I'm not confident.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Jun 2021 11:16

Snowflake Royal
Silver Fox
Snowflake Royal I know our side of the draw looks easier, but I don't exactly fancy our chances against:
Germany
Netherlands
Wales
Denmark
Sweden

Snowflake Royal England could certainly beat Portugal. Germany aren't the force they were and France have struggled for goals so far.

Italy are the only team I think is a guaranteed loss if we go for it. Our problem against scotland was we just didn't try to win.

Italy are pretty much the only side I think we're guaranteed to lose to. We *can* beat any of the others.

But whether we will or not.... most of them are likely to be tight affairs we could slip up in.

And between the two posts we put in another fairly dull and negative performance, making hard work of a limited Czech side, albeit with a win.

Can you see England scoring two goals? Or keeping a clean sheet against a good strike force... we could, but I'm not confident.

Which of those teams would you say have a "good" strike force?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 24 Jun 2021 11:39

Question for the Germany based nobbers - Is it fair to say our rivalry with Germany is very much one sided? Read something today that your Germanys, Brazils, Italys etc see us the same way we see Sweden, Poland, Russia etc. Which is a bit of an oof, but makes sense.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jun 2021 12:27

Hendo
Snowflake Royal
Silver Fox

Germany and Netherlands for absolute sure.

Bale and Moore are no joke

Sweden have 4 goals, Denmark have 5

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Jun 2021 12:34

Snowflake Royal
Hendo
Snowflake Royal There's some subtlety of language you might be missing there.

Germany and Netherlands for absolute sure.

Bale and Moore are no joke

Sweden have 4 goals, Denmark have 5

Hmm, not too sure on any of them to be honest.

Germany would rather play without a recognised striker than play either Werner or Volland.

Apart from Depay, I think the Dutch are very hit and miss upfront.

I don't think Moore would give any of our defenders any trouble, they are all quite capable of dealing with a big lump upfront.

Sweden scored 3 of their 4 goals against Slovakia

Denmark scored 4 of their 5 goals against Russia.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 25 Jun 2021 10:08

Just listened to the latest Quickly Kevin and then played 3 Lions to myself loudly on my headphones afterwards. Genuinely felt really quite emotional :( :lol:

C'MON ENGLAND!!!!!!

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 25 Jun 2021 10:16

We are going to lose, I have forseen it.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 25 Jun 2021 10:17

NathStPaul We are going to lose, I have forseen it.

Dare to dream, believe in the impossible!!!

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 25 Jun 2021 10:22

Winston Biscuit
NathStPaul We are going to lose, I have forseen it.

Dare to dream, believe in the impossible!!!

TBH I am only saying we are going to lose because I have been wildly wrong about every prediction I have made during the tournament. Need to keep the streak alive!

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 25 Jun 2021 13:16

Good to see the whelmometer rising on here for Tuesday’s game. I assumed it was an 8pm kick off but gather it’s 5pm.
Not sure whether I am looking forward to or dreading tomorrow’s game v Denmark. As soon as the game starts I will just want it to end. Bit like a play off final.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 25 Jun 2021 13:29

Can see Wales v Denmark going all the way to penalties.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 25 Jun 2021 13:42

I expect to see a largely negative team formation and tactics (ie safe) from GS rather than making go of it and playing more towards what his current resources can do reasonably well ie. attack.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 25 Jun 2021 14:16

NathStPaul Can see Wales v Denmark going all the way to penalties.

Yeah, or really deep into extra time with a winner coming in 117+

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 25 Jun 2021 14:41

I have BTTS and Denmark to win

I am pissed off I am not allowed to watch it though, need to go to a 1 year olds oxf*rd birthday at a house. I even asked If I was allowed to watch it in a different room but got told off and shouted at and called disrespectful

absolute oxf*rd bullshit, 1 year olds don't even understand whats going on and football is on

3599 posts