England - the future....

3599 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: England - the future....

by URZZZZ » 28 May 2021 12:38

Sanguine
Not sure what James Maddison has done not to be included in the 33.

You know Southgate's views on the "ethos" of his squad - has to be players with the right attitude, etc etc - so not sure he'd have taken too kindly to Maddison being caught breaking lockdown rules by attending a house party - remember Foden and Greenwood were sent home when they were caught back in September?

Additionally, as Kerplunk mentions, he hasn't been in particularly great form since his injury and has even struggled to cement a regular place in the XI, with Perez and Iheanacho preferred at times

Personally, didn't come as any surprise that he wasn't near the 26 man squad

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 May 2021 12:14

So will England actually do well or will it be an insipid ultra-careful struggle through the group stage followed by defeat in the knockout to the first half decent side that decides to have a go?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 30 May 2021 13:33

Sutekh So will England actually do well or will it be an insipid ultra-careful struggle through the group stage followed by defeat in the knockout to the first half decent side that decides to have a go?

I suspect we’ll look good in the group and THEN the insipid ultra-careful style will come into play with the usual end result.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 01 Jun 2021 14:12

Apparently TAA will miss out. I still think he's our most talented right back, but I guess James recently bossed a Champions League final, while Trippier and Walker are experienced options coming out of good domestic seasons in which they won the title.

I do actually think this England team has the ability to do well. Better options at CB would be nice, but Stones has had an excellent season. People seem quick to criticise Pickford too, but he's been in good form for Everton.

The main issue is team selection and balance. We have the players capable of keeping possession now, but if we go too defensive and invite pressure the best teams will eventually break us down.

I do wonder if this team will peak in a few years, when the likes of Kane, Sterling, Stones, Maguire and Henderson are in their early 30s but the likes of Foden, Sancho, Greenwood, Mount, TAA and Rice have had a few more years development. We could be a very strong team indeed, especially if Gomez can fulfill the potential he was showing a couple of years ago.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 01 Jun 2021 16:29

WestYorksRoyal Apparently TAA will miss out

Sky Sports have been running a story that he is IN!

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 01 Jun 2021 17:11

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 01 Jun 2021 17:24

4 right backs and he's left Lingard out :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
And what's even more unforgivable is the best English dead ball player Ward Prowess gets left out completely.
Bet he starts Sterling as well.
Christ how did he get the England job......the moment England meet a quality team (no not my lot :D ), they will come a cropper.....safety will kick in to his tactics....

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 01 Jun 2021 17:25

There's bound to be a lot of head shaking at including 4 right-backs but...

Kyle Walker and Reece James have both played as the right-sided defender in a three (Shaw on the left)

TAA possibly better as a wing-back than a straight out defender (haven't seen that much of him this season tbf)

and Trippier...I can't rem, so some excellent analysis from me 8)

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 01 Jun 2021 17:29

lol ascot posted as I was writing...knew it'd be the case

Lingard should be left out and I'm a fan of his...far too much competition for his spot

Sancho, Grealish, Foden, Mount can all play his role(s) better

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 01 Jun 2021 17:33

BR0B0T lol ascot posted as I was writing...knew it'd be the case

Lingard should be left out and I'm a fan of his...far too much competition for his spot

I would have left Rashford out for Lingard. I just don't see Rashford offering much.
This England team oozes talent yet I can see Southgate screwing up.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 01 Jun 2021 17:36

Ascotexgunner
BR0B0T lol ascot posted as I was writing...knew it'd be the case

I would have left Rashford out for Lingard. I just don't see Rashford offering much.
This England team oozes talent yet I can see Southgate screwing up.

Rashford plays on the left...Lingard as no.10 or on the right

Rashford has had shoulder trouble that requires surgery, wish he'd sack the Euro's off, get it done and then rest up

He hasn't been playing well but gets the numbers and can win a game

Taffster

by Taffster » 01 Jun 2021 17:37

BR0B0T There's bound to be a lot of head shaking at including 4 right-backs but...

Kyle Walker and Reece James have both played as the right-sided defender in a three (Shaw on the left)

TAA possibly better as a wing-back than a straight out defender (haven't seen that much of him this season tbf)

Take an actual CB who can play in a 3 then, Godfrey/White/Coady have all done that alot this season so not really necessary for two rbs to cover there. ( I get Walker as an option for his pace)

Trent while he is attacking plays in a back 4 with Liverpool so shouldn't be an issue at England.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 01 Jun 2021 17:41

BR0B0T There's bound to be a lot of head shaking at including 4 right-backs but...

Do we really want a back 3 though? We lose a man in midfield and get overrun.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 01 Jun 2021 17:42

Taffster

Take an actual CB who can play in a 3 then, Godfrey/White/Coady have all done that alot this season so not really necessary for two rbs to cover there. ( I get Walker as an option for his pace)

Trent while he is attacking plays in a back 4 with Liverpool so shouldn't be an issue at England.

Not an unusual tactic to play a full-back as one of the three if they have to deal with a pacy winger etc

They're comfortable out wide so can push out the other two CB's move over and the wingback drops in (on the other side)

Glen Hoddle was explaining the various tactics on one of Rio's youtube channels

EDIT: Maguire isn't guaranteed to be fit
Last edited by BR0B0T on 01 Jun 2021 17:46, edited 1 time in total.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 01 Jun 2021 17:44

WestYorksRoyal

depends init! What does Southgate usually do?

I'd like to think he has tactics/team selected already for the group games

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 01 Jun 2021 17:48

JWP is a bit meh, happy with him being left out. 4 right backs seems odd but maybe its with a mind on switching between full backs and wing backs. I would have left Reece James at home. Lingard had a great 3 1/2 months of a season, but before that was pretty w@nk for ages and has always been overrated.

I pay little attention to the national team, but I think I am happy with that squad.

We won't win it, because there are always teams better than us. When you look at the way the groups and knock out structure is set out I see it very hard for us to get beyond the round of 16, but that would give us 4 games including one against an old rival, and If we go out in R16 having played well and not been embarrassed I think that would be about right. Reckon people would take that.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 01 Jun 2021 17:49

BR0B0T
WestYorksRoyal

depends init! What does Southgate usually do?

I'd like to think he has tactics/team selected already for the group games

I think the first game is a toughy.....Croatia I think will be a good marker as to how England do.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 01 Jun 2021 17:55

How much should we read into squad numbers? Interesting to see Grealish given 7 ahead of Mount and Foden :?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 01 Jun 2021 17:57

Winston Biscuit JWP is a bit meh, happy with him being left out. 4 right backs seems odd but maybe its with a mind on switching between full backs and wing backs. I would have left Reece James at home. Lingard had a great 3 1/2 months of a season, but before that was pretty w@nk for ages and has always been overrated.

I pay little attention to the national team, but I think I am happy with that squad.

We won't win it, because there are always teams better than us. When you look at the way the groups and knock out structure is set out I see it very hard for us to get beyond the round of 16, but that would give us 4 games including one against an old rival, and If we go out in R16 having played well and not been embarrassed I think that would be about right. Reckon people would take that.

I'd like to see a "big" win in the last 16, so everyone can get really excited. As fun as 2018 was, none of the results really created excitement, whereas topping our group and then knocking out Germany would see excitement levels go off the scale.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 01 Jun 2021 18:00

Winston Biscuit JWP is a bit meh, happy with him being left out. 4 right backs seems odd but maybe its with a mind on switching between full backs and wing backs. I would have left Reece James at home. Lingard had a great 3 1/2 months of a season, but before that was pretty w@nk for ages and has always been overrated.

Being in the EU defo held our players back...watch them roar straight to the final WB!

3599 posts