Euro 2016 Thread

1464 posts
Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

Re: Euro 2016 Thread

by Kitsondinho » 12 Jun 2016 20:33

It seem to be being reported as organised but isolated, so I'm not suggesting St Pauli is incorrect in what he has seen. He is obviously there and I'm 500 odd miles away

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 12 Jun 2016 20:41

St Pauli is probably sat on a bench at Cemetery Junction counting bus lanes :wink:

double d

by double d » 12 Jun 2016 21:00

Day 3.almost done. Must say I have thoroughly enjoyed every game.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict

by Kitsondinho » 12 Jun 2016 21:48

double d Day 3.almost done. Must say I have thoroughly enjoyed every game.

+1
Considering England played and didn't stink the place out, it is extraordinary....

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Jun 2016 22:13

What's really impressed me is that even the games that should have been totally one sided have been close affairs. Wales, England, Poland and Germany should have buried Slovakia, Russia, Northern Ireland and Ukraine based on their dominance, but the weaker sides have defended well and posed a moderate threat of their own for the most part. Germany the first team to win by more than one goal, after seven games.

I didn't see France, but that sounds like it was pretty competitive and close too.

There's been some pretty good football despite the relatively low haul of goals.. and no 0-0s.

Great tournament so far.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 12 Jun 2016 23:38

Kitsondinho Russia and England threatened with expulsion if there is any more violence. Even if there is, I can't see UEFA going that far....

If I was an English fan there I'd be suing UEFA for not ensuring my safety and asking why, despite the alleged high security, flares and smoke bombs had been smuggled in. It's just a lame attempt to deflect blame from their complete incompetence.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict

by Kitsondinho » 13 Jun 2016 00:12

PieEater
Kitsondinho Russia and England threatened with expulsion if there is any more violence. Even if there is, I can't see UEFA going that far....

If I was an English fan there I'd be suing UEFA for not ensuring my safety and asking why, despite the alleged high security, flares and smoke bombs had been smuggled in. It's just a lame attempt to deflect blame from their complete incompetence.

Fair point...that is another way of dealing with it.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 13 Jun 2016 08:24

Looks like fun brewing in Lille later this week too, with Russia playing v Slovakia there on Wednesday.
I'd imagine a whole lot of England fans are likely to also be in Lille (rather than Lens, which is quite small) ahead of Thursday's game.

George_

by George_ » 13 Jun 2016 09:44

Just got back from Marseille. Don't blame the English for what happened this weekend. Blame ORGANISED Russian & French crime.

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 13 Jun 2016 13:29

Got back from Marseille last night.

I was in the port when the Russian's turned up. England fans just having beers, singing and eating. That included some families eating inside. I would compare it to a lot of fans congregating outside the Three Guineas. Next thing you know there's 200 russians armed to the teeth ready to charge out of nowhere. Instead of tear gassing the Russian's it was aimed at England fans standing outside the bar. I then moved inside the bar and another can was pelted actually into the restaurant.

I stayed inside the restaurant not seeing anything. By the time I came out the Russian's had gone. The tear gas was exactly what the Russian's wanted. As they wanted England fans piling into the side streets where the Russian's and Marseille youths could chase them. A question needs to be asked, as to why the Police did exactly what the local gangs and Russian's wanted?

It would be interesting to see where the police were from. As there has been problems with corruption in the Marseille police before with gangs. I know English police around were exasperated with the French police handling.

After that I headed onto the Metro (not after Police tried to block England fans and use tear gas again). The security going into the ground was extremely lax for all the build up prior. After the game a lot of the public transport was not running and meant England fans pouring back onto the streets.

Didn't see any England fans fight and thankfully the press is beginning to pick up the real story.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 13 Jun 2016 14:45

In the stadium for Ireland Sweden now.. probably arrived a bit early...

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 13 Jun 2016 14:46

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Jun 2016 18:32

George_ Just got back from Marseille. Don't blame the English for what happened this weekend. Blame ORGANISED Russian & French crime.

And where are the threats from UEFA towards France being expelled....

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 13 Jun 2016 21:03

I guess there aren't enough folk on here these days to justify a thread per game. Shame really as any match discussion will just get lost amongst the general tournament chat.

Anyway the Belgium Italy game is a corker. Really hope Italy stuff the philthy phlegms, largely because I have an irrational h8red of Fellaini

double d

by double d » 13 Jun 2016 21:05

wingnut I guess there aren't enough folk on here these days to justify a thread per game. Shame really as any match discussion will just get lost amongst the general tournament chat.

Anyway the Belgium Italy game is a corker. Really hope Italy stuff the philthy phlegms, largely because I have an irrational h8red of Fellaini

His hair. Their are no words.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Jun 2016 21:07

wingnut I guess there aren't enough folk on here these days to justify a thread per game. Shame really as any match discussion will just get lost amongst the general tournament chat.

Yeah, can't say I like Fellaini or Belgium in general. I don't really see what all the fuss is about, they've got a bunch of big names at the moment, but they've not really done anything particularly impressive together.

I've never really been fond of Italy, they've always seemed incredibly cynical and been one of the European footballing nations that really led the way in corruption, but you've got to respect just how bloody-mindedly dogged and organised they always are.

It's all about Germany for me.

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 13 Jun 2016 21:09

double d

It's more that he's just a really dirty player.

I have no particular love (or h8) of Italy, just hope they win today.

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 13 Jun 2016 21:20

double d

There are pictures though

tulip
Hob Nob Addict

by tulip » 13 Jun 2016 21:21

Since the Netherlands aren't involved most Dutch are rooting for the Belgians. Not been that impressed with them so far and after all the hype at the World Cup they also proved disappointing.
Would be pleased to see a new name on the cup so good luck to them!

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 13 Jun 2016 21:54

Italians tiring and fading quite rapidly - picking up lots of bookings. Can see the phlegms getting back into this.

1464 posts