Matches 45 and 46 - brought to you by Ann Coulter

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

Matches 45 and 46 - brought to you by Ann Coulter

by stealthpapes » 26 Jun 2014 16:40

I've held off on writing about soccer for a decade — or about the length of the average soccer game — so as not to offend anyone. But enough is enough. Any growing interest in soccer can only be a sign of the nation's moral decay.

• Individual achievement is not a big factor in soccer. In a real sport, players fumble passes, throw bricks and drop fly balls — all in front of a crowd. When baseball players strike out, they're standing alone at the plate. But there's also individual glory in home runs, touchdowns and slam-dunks.In soccer, the blame is dispersed and almost no one scores anyway. There are no heroes, no losers, no accountability, and no child's fragile self-esteem is bruised. There's a reason perpetually alarmed women are called "soccer moms," not "football moms." Do they even have MVPs in soccer? Everyone just runs up and down the field and, every once in a while, a ball accidentally goes in. That's when we're supposed to go wild. I'm already asleep.

• Liberal moms like soccer because it's a sport in which athletic talent finds so little expression that girls can play with boys. No serious sport is co-ed, even at the kindergarten level.

• No other "sport" ends in as many scoreless ties as soccer. This was an actual marquee sign by the freeway in Long Beach, California, about a World Cup game last week: "2nd period, 11 minutes left, score: 0:0." Two hours later, another World Cup game was on the same screen: "1st period, 8 minutes left, score: 0:0." If Michael Jackson had treated his chronic insomnia with a tape of Argentina vs. Brazil instead of Propofol, he'd still be alive, although bored. Even in football, by which I mean football, there are very few scoreless ties — and it's a lot harder to score when a half-dozen 300-pound bruisers are trying to crush you.

• The prospect of either personal humiliation or major injury is required to count as a sport. Most sports are sublimated warfare. As Lady Thatcher reportedly said after Germany had beaten England in some major soccer game: Don't worry. After all, twice in this century we beat them at their national game. Baseball and basketball present a constant threat of personal disgrace. In hockey, there are three or four fights a game — and it's not a stroll on beach to be on ice with a puck flying around at 100 miles per hour. After a football game, ambulances carry off the wounded. After a soccer game, every player gets a ribbon and a juice box.

• You can't use your hands in soccer. (Thus eliminating the danger of having to catch a fly ball.) What sets man apart from the lesser beasts, besides a soul, is that we have opposable thumbs. Our hands can hold things. Here's a great idea: Let's create a game where you're not allowed to use them!

• I resent the force-fed aspect of soccer. The same people trying to push soccer on Americans are the ones demanding that we love HBO's "Girls," light-rail, Beyonce and Hillary Clinton. The number of New York Times articles claiming soccer is "catching on" is exceeded only by the ones pretending women's basketball is fascinating. I note that we don't have to be endlessly told how exciting football is.

• It's foreign. In fact, that's the precise reason the Times is constantly hectoring Americans to love soccer. One group of sports fans with whom soccer is not "catching on" at all, is African-Americans. They remain distinctly unimpressed by the fact that the French like it.

• Soccer is like the metric system, which liberals also adore because it's European. Naturally, the metric system emerged from the French Revolution, during the brief intervals when they weren't committing mass murder by guillotine. Despite being subjected to Chinese-style brainwashing in the public schools to use centimeters and Celsius, ask any American for the temperature, and he'll say something like "70 degrees." Ask how far Boston is from New York City, he'll say it's about 200 miles.Liberals get angry and tell us that the metric system is more "rational" than the measurements everyone understands. This is ridiculous. An inch is the width of a man's thumb, a foot the length of his foot, a yard the length of his belt. That's easy to visualize. How do you visualize 147.2 centimeters?

• Soccer is not "catching on." Headlines this week proclaimed "Record U.S. ratings for World Cup," and we had to hear — again about the "growing popularity of soccer in the United States." The USA-Portugal game was the blockbuster match, garnering 18.2 million viewers on ESPN. This beat the second-most watched soccer game ever: The 1999 Women's World Cup final (USA vs. China) on ABC. (In soccer, the women's games are as thrilling as the men's.) Run-of-the-mill, regular-season Sunday Night Football games average more than 20 million viewers; NFL playoff games get 30 to 40 million viewers; and this year's Super Bowl had 111.5 million viewers.Remember when the media tried to foist British soccer star David Beckham and his permanently camera-ready wife on us a few years ago? Their arrival in America was heralded with 24-7 news coverage. That lasted about two days. Ratings tanked.

No one cared.

If more "Americans" are watching soccer today, it's only because of the demographic switch effected by Teddy Kennedy's 1965 immigration law. I promise you: No American whose great-grandfather was born here is watching soccer. One can only hope that, in addition to learning English, these new Americans will drop their soccer fetish with time.

lol

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Matches 45 and 46 - brought to you by Ann Coulter

by Silver Fox » 26 Jun 2014 16:50

She's such a fvcking idiot she could post on the team board

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 26 Jun 2014 17:02

In other news

Ghana’s extraordinary buildup to their final group match against Portugal has escalated, with two players, Sulley Muntari and Kevin-Prince Boateng, suspended indefinitely for disciplinary reasons.

Hours after a cash shipment arrived in Brazil to avert the squad’s threatened strike action over unpaid fees, Ghana’s FA released a statement to confirm that Muntari had been suspended for what they alleged was “an unprovoked physical attack” on an FA executive committee member. Muntari is yet to comment.

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 26 Jun 2014 17:32

This is the first time that Ann Coulter has been embarrassingly ignorant about something.

This, though:

Individual achievement is not a big factor in soccer.

Extraordinary. There is clearly massively more opportunity for teams to be propelled by an individual in football than in the American version.

I wonder what she has to say about the communist "draft" system employed in US sports?

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 26 Jun 2014 17:48

... when copying it over, I did think about putting a break after "It's foreign".

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 26 Jun 2014 17:49

Oh boy.

double d

by double d » 26 Jun 2014 17:51

This made me laugh the most... " held off on writing about soccer for a decade — or about the length of the average soccer game"

A 'soccer' game last 90 minutes, or 120 at most with Extra time. Doesn't American football last 3 hours on average? And baseball about 2? What a load of crap!

double d

by double d » 26 Jun 2014 17:58

Oh and 'The prospect of either personal humiliation or major injury is required to count as a sport'.

So do all those sports that are in the Olympics such as swimming, table tennis and gymnastics, as well as sports like golf, all of which are played by millions more people around the world then any American sports, are they not sports any more? What do we now call them?

I want to see in the rule book for any sport where it specifically states that you have to injure and/or humiliate someone whilst playing this or it cannot be classed as sport. Do they teach children in school these days to injure or humiliate fellow pupils in their sports classes? Stupid, ignorant women.

tulip
Hob Nob Addict

by tulip » 26 Jun 2014 18:02

Silly woman!

Anyway Germany looking quite sloppy in this game.

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 26 Jun 2014 18:04

stealthpapes I promise you: No American whose great-grandfather was born here is watching soccer.

Lib, Seahawk or USALR care to comment?

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 26 Jun 2014 18:10

I didn't 'write' that.

Anyway, touchmap of Klose's 15 goals. Lol. The furthest one out is a penalty.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 26 Jun 2014 18:16

Ouroboros
stealthpapes I promise you: No American whose great-grandfather was born here is watching soccer.

Lib, Seahawk or USALR care to comment?

I'm out. Both my great-grandfathers were born in and died in Italy.

As far as the game goes I am very happy with it being 0-0 right now. The waterlogged pitch isn't conducive to scoring. Plus Portugal is up a goal on Ghana. Still nervously chain smoking and chewing my fingernails between drags...

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 26 Jun 2014 18:19

I like the idea that it is harder to score in American football because of so many 300lb (Americans don't use stones as they want everything to sound big)players on the pitch-no lady, it is easier to score in American football or rugby as the player just has to cross a great big white line that extends across the whole width of the pitch, that's why there are no 0-0 scorelines.
Staying with "big" why does American football have a score of 6 for crossing the line, why not 1 or 2?

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 26 Jun 2014 18:40

The US are getting as rattled in this game as double d and Victor got when they read Coulter's article

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 26 Jun 2014 18:50

Libertine

Ann Coulter hates you.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 26 Jun 2014 19:18

Ouroboros
Libertine

Ann Coulter hates you.

Actually I am fine with that... :D

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict

by Libertine » 26 Jun 2014 19:38

Well the US are through even with the loss. We didn't look particularly good but Germany is absolute class. Sloppy pitch with the heavy rain was not conducive to aesthetically pleasing football.

And to think I said this before the tournament because of the US's tough group "I guess I will have to follow Italy and England in this tournament (after the US is quickly eliminated)". :? :lol:

I am not saying this to rub it in I honestly never saw this coming. Spain, Portugal, Italy and England all out with 3 CONCACAF teams in the final 16? Who'd have thunk it!? :shock:

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict

by Libertine » 26 Jun 2014 20:05

And for the record Ann Coulter is an idiot of the highest order and she hates everyone in the rest of the world. I started reading the drivel she wrote about soccer and had to stop about halfway through when it was obvious she had completely stopped making sense and the hatred inside of her had taken over.

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 26 Jun 2014 20:14

There's already a game that uses opposable thumbs, and in which use of the feet is prohibited. It's called handball. That has a lot of goalless draws, too,

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 26 Jun 2014 21:55

What a oxf*rd c(|)nt...

My grandfather and great-grandfather were born here and I fookin' love proper football.