WC 2014 2nd round Netherlands vs Mexico

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

Re: WC 2014 2nd round Netherlands vs Mexico

by Sanguine » 30 Jun 2014 10:59

Robben initiated the very slight contact, but it's a foul by the rules of the game. I'd call it a dive, but its a trip, he impedes his progress, even if he doesn't step on him.

Horrible player. He is brilliant though.

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 30 Jun 2014 12:00

Robben & Samaras fling themselves to the floor in quite convincing fashion so that the Euro contingent don't miss out on the cheating bonuses. Mueller isn't half bad at the dramatics so we're holding our own against the traditionally stronger S.American scheming. The Argies haven't started yet though and there's still plenty of time for them, in reply, Hazard isn't shy in taking a tumble for a penalty and must have it in mind for the knockout phase.

Hup Holland will prolly have enough to get past Costa Rica now that the Greeks unnecessarily elongated their exit with a handball which kept it at 1-0 instead of CR having a penalty so all concerned could have got it over with much sooner.

tulip
Hob Nob Addict

by tulip » 30 Jun 2014 12:27

The media attention for the probable dive is somewhat OTT I feel. It's like no one had ever done it in a WC before.

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 30 Jun 2014 12:38

Agreed. I think there's quite enough opportunity to be incensed by dives where there was no foul at all. I haven't got the energy to also be outraged by dives where there was a foul.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 30 Jun 2014 13:02

tulip The media attention for the probable dive is somewhat OTT I feel. It's like no one had ever done it in a WC before.

And in particular Costa diving and creating contact for a Spanish penalty against Holland. Or more embarrassingly Fred conning a shit Japanese ref to gift Brazil a win over Croatia. Although Robbens exaggeration was embarrassing, the defender lunged in and didn't get the ball.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 30 Jun 2014 13:13

PieEater
tulip The media attention for the probable dive is somewhat OTT I feel. It's like no one had ever done it in a WC before.

And in particular Costa diving and creating contact for a Spanish penalty against Holland. Or more embarrassingly Fred conning a shit Japanese ref to gift Brazil a win over Croatia. Although Robbens exaggeration was embarrassing, the defender lunged in and didn't get the ball.

Costa didn't create the contact, he put his foot in the position he had to put it to reset himself, as explained in the H/T analysis by Terry Henry and co.

tulip
Hob Nob Addict

by tulip » 30 Jun 2014 13:14

PieEater

I was going to mention (and didn't) the fact that Holland had already been on the wrong end of 2 dubious penalty decisions this WC, in the Spain game and in the Aussie game. This was the first that they had been awarded so far.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 30 Jun 2014 13:53

sandman
PieEater

Costa didn't create the contact, he put his foot in the position he had to put it to reset himself, as explained in the H/T analysis by Terry Henry and co.

I disagree, IMHO he deliberately manufactured the contact by putting his leg in an unnatural position at an angle to stand in the defenders leg. If he had put his leg straight down there'd be no contact, and IIRC it was Linekar who was saying exactly that to his panel.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 30 Jun 2014 14:44

Diving is diving but Robben's is probably the most outrageously over the top (arms out wide, mouth wide open shouting in agony) that has happened so far. That combined with it being in injury time and therefore basically deciding who goes through and I get why it is being talked about so much

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 30 Jun 2014 14:49

PieEater
sandman Costa didn't create the contact, he put his foot in the position he had to put it to reset himself, as explained in the H/T analysis by Terry Henry and co.

I disagree, IMHO he deliberately manufactured the contact by putting his leg in an unnatural position at an angle to stand in the defenders leg. If he had put his leg straight down there'd be no contact, and IIRC it was Linekar who was saying exactly that to his panel.

I'd agree with that Pieman and I we see a fair amount of the pundits trying to explain away the cheating from their fellow pro's so Henry's explanation doesn't count for much in my eyes.

Whatevs

by Whatevs » 30 Jun 2014 14:53

sandman

yep this

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 30 Jun 2014 15:39

Gets overlooked that Marquez didn't even need to put his leg out for Robben to fall over. Robben's last touch was heavy and there's a covering defender thats going to get to the ball first.

tulip
Hob Nob Addict

by tulip » 30 Jun 2014 16:16

Anyway should Robben be punished retrospectively, it would surely open the floodgates of teams protesting previous decisions. Wouldn't it?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 30 Jun 2014 16:34

tulip Anyway should Robben be punished retrospectively, it would surely open the floodgates of teams protesting previous decisions. Wouldn't it?

They can't start it just for him and part way through a tournament so no, he shouldn't.

It would be helpful if they did allow some kind of retrospective punishment or review if they can find a way that allows for a bit of common sense but maintains some consistency in application. I'd like to see that done within most top flight competitions (ie the international tournaments, European competition and Premier League). There are plenty of problems in implementing such a system though, and I imagine they'll avoid doing so because of it.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 30 Jun 2014 20:53

Blatant dives this WC: dozens
Yellow cards for "simulation": zero

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 30 Jun 2014 22:15

Platypuss Blatant dives this WC: dozens
Yellow cards for "simulation": zero

If a player cheats to create a goalscoring opportunity, he should receive a red card.

Flyingkiwi
Hob Nob Regular

by Flyingkiwi » 30 Jun 2014 22:21

Hoop Blah
tulip Anyway should Robben be punished retrospectively, it would surely open the floodgates of teams protesting previous decisions. Wouldn't it?

They can't start it just for him and part way through a tournament so no, he shouldn't.

It would be helpful if they did allow some kind of retrospective punishment or review if they can find a way that allows for a bit of common sense but maintains some consistency in application. I'd like to see that done within most top flight competitions (ie the international tournaments, European competition and Premier League). There are plenty of problems in implementing such a system though, and I imagine they'll avoid doing so because of it.

They retrospectively punished Saurez. His bite of Chilini wasn't a "goalscoring opportunity".

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Jun 2014 22:34

Hardly the same thing at all.

Flyingkiwi
Hob Nob Regular

by Flyingkiwi » 30 Jun 2014 22:36

Ian Royal Hardly the same thing at all.

It was an infringement of the rules that went unpunished on the field. I'd say that makes it EXACTLY the same thing!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Jun 2014 22:40

There's a world of difference between violent conduct and simulation. There's clear precedents for dealing with such things caught on camera and not seen during the match and none that I can recall for diving.