Euro 2024

179 posts
Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Euro 2024

by Clyde1998 » 18 Jun 2023 09:39

Silver Fox Another cracking win for the tartan army, think we might just qualify for this one

It wasn't the greatest performance, but that's the difference between this side and previous sides - getting results out of nothing.

We just have to avoid any stupid results now. Typically beating the fourth (and lower) seeds home and away will leave you needing four points from the second/third seeds to qualify - assuming the first seed beats everyone they play. With the wins against Spain and in Norway, we've effectively got a five point cushion on the minimum we'd need to qualify (and Norway dropped points in Georgia in March).

We'll likely qualify now with only three points from both Georgia games and a win in Cyprus from the rest of the group. Due to the Nations League performance, we've got a guaranteed play-off spot if we do manage to oxf*rd this up (which I wouldn't rule out with our history). With the pots for the finals being determined by qualifying record, we'll want to get as many points as possible in qualifying even if we do qualify early.

@We_Global on Twitter has calculated we've got a 95.64% chance of automatic qualification now - a higher chance than Spain. They had us at only 44.08% prior to the start of the qualifiers. A win on Tuesday would take most of the pressure off the remaining qualifiers.

We've only lost four matches since the Euros in 2021 - such an incredible job from Steve Clarke.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 Jun 2023 14:39

Clyde1998
Silver Fox Another cracking win for the tartan army, think we might just qualify for this one

It wasn't the greatest performance, but that's the difference between this side and previous sides - getting results out of nothing.

We just have to avoid any stupid results now. Typically beating the fourth (and lower) seeds home and away will leave you needing four points from the second/third seeds to qualify - assuming the first seed beats everyone they play. With the wins against Spain and in Norway, we've effectively got a five point cushion on the minimum we'd need to qualify (and Norway dropped points in Georgia in March).

We'll likely qualify now with only three points from both Georgia games and a win in Cyprus from the rest of the group. Due to the Nations League performance, we've got a guaranteed play-off spot if we do manage to oxf*rd this up (which I wouldn't rule out with our history). With the pots for the finals being determined by qualifying record, we'll want to get as many points as possible in qualifying even if we do qualify early.

@We_Global on Twitter has calculated we've got a 95.64% chance of automatic qualification now - a higher chance than Spain. They had us at only 44.08% prior to the start of the qualifiers. A win on Tuesday would take most of the pressure off the remaining qualifiers.

We've only lost four matches since the Euros in 2021 - such an incredible job from Steve Clarke.

Wait until he talks to Northern Ireland about taking over there.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 19 Jun 2023 07:17

Sutekh
Clyde1998

Come on. :roll:

We all know it's going to be Wales he speaks to.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 19 Jun 2023 21:28

Clyde1998
Sutekh
Clyde1998 It wasn't the greatest performance, but that's the difference between this side and previous sides - getting results out of nothing.

I would take him in a heartbeat over this utter tosh Page is serving up. It's like watching a Bobby Gould side. We are the worst side to watch in World football and we have been like that since he took over. Smash and grab.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 20 Jun 2023 07:37

Ascotexgunner
Clyde1998
Sutekh

I would take him in a heartbeat over this utter tosh Page is serving up. It's like watching a Bobby Gould side. We are the worst side to watch in World football and we have been like that since he took over. Smash and grab.

From what I've seen of Wales, there's been a clear regression over the past couple of years - even if you factor in the decline and retirement of top players like Bale and Ramsey, this Wales side seems to be underperforming. The recent Welsh results and performances remind me of Scotland under Vogts, Burley and Levein - players who are capable of better but the performances and results just aren't there, with the tactics used being a major factor in that.

I think it's one win in eleven for Wales now (and that was a rather lacklustre 1-0 win at home to Latvia). Hopefully things pick up soon for you.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 20 Jun 2023 21:01

Ronaldo becomes the first to get 200 international caps

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 20 Jun 2023 21:50

Kerpow, take that Bosnia and Herzegovina 8)

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 21 Jun 2023 13:28

Moldova 3-2 Poland

Poland were 2-0 up as well

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 21 Jun 2023 13:48

They'll be dancing on the streets of Chişinău!

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 07 Sep 2023 20:48

When on gods earth will the authorities come to their senses and decide a way for teams like San Marino to try to qualify to enter the main qualifying groups?
They are non league quality playing against elite European sides, they may at least have a chance of scoring a goal or even get the odd draw playing lower ranked sides. it`s bloody pointless having them on the fixture list because victory is 99% guaranteed.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 Sep 2023 20:58

windermereROYAL When on gods earth will the authorities come to their senses and decide a way for teams like San Marino to try to qualify to enter the main qualifying groups?
They are non league quality playing against elite European sides, they may at least have a chance of scoring a goal or even get the odd draw playing lower ranked sides. it`s bloody pointless having them on the fixture list because victory is 99% guaranteed.

I smell common sense, therefore pre-qualifying will never happen

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 08 Sep 2023 20:46

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 08 Sep 2023 21:40

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Sep 2023 05:49

This link now reads "This media has been disabled in response to a report by the copyright owner."

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 09 Sep 2023 10:59

Sutekh

This link now reads "This media has been disabled in response to a report by the copyright owner."

It's been posted by the official UEFA Euro twitter account, so hopefully this won't be deleted: https://twitter.com/EURO2024/status/1700268272430514468

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 09 Sep 2023 13:04

Take that, Iceland.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 09 Sep 2023 16:02

I get the debate around Maddison vs Foden
I even get that playing Henderson may release Bellingham to do what he’s been doing for Real this season (I wouldn’t play it that way, but I get the argument)

What I don’t get is Jordan Pickford in front of Aaron Ramsdale
I do get that Pickford hasn’t let anyone down for England, but …..

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 09 Sep 2023 17:26

Franchise FC I get the debate around Maddison vs Foden
I even get that playing Henderson may release Bellingham to do what he’s been doing for Real this season (I wouldn’t play it that way, but I get the argument)

What I don’t get is Jordan Pickford in front of Aaron Ramsdale
I do get that Pickford hasn’t let anyone down for England, but …..

Ramsdale has looked a bit ropey at times. Pickford is way better..,and gets more practice at his shitty club.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 09 Sep 2023 17:29

Top 5 goal noises there

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 09 Sep 2023 17:34

Dear me, did Maguire just run into the back of his own player, whilst Henderson arrived 5 minutes after Ukraine scored.... :D :D :D :D
This has to be potentially one of the most talented England teams I've seen yet they are managed by a guy who really is looking like he has no idea.

179 posts