Euro 2024

179 posts
Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Euro 2024

by Franchise FC » 09 Sep 2023 17:49

Ascotexgunner Dear me, did Maguire just run into the back of his own player, whilst Henderson arrived 5 minutes after Ukraine scored.... :D :D :D :D
This has to be potentially one of the most talented England teams I've seen yet they are managed by a guy who really is looking like he has no idea.

In order to be one of the most talented groups it would help if we had a couple of world class defenders (international class would do)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Sep 2023 17:49

Is Jaap Stam wearing a Gareth Southgate suit?

It's so slow, unambitious and boring most of the time.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 09 Sep 2023 17:55

I’m probably being over-critical, but it really irritates me that Maguire always passes straight to the man, even when the receiver is in acres of space. So he has to stop, receive the ball and look up as opposed to moving forward with head up.

Why not pass into the space in front of the man? These lost split seconds give the opposition time to focus and organise.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 09 Sep 2023 17:55

Harry Kane is wasted up front.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 09 Sep 2023 17:58

Royal Rother Harry Kane is wasted up front.

According to Dion Dublin he shouldn’t have been in a position to play the pass for the goal

Um, that’s what makes Kane so good, you can’t just have a centre back mark him because he wanders and influences the game from almost anywhere

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Sep 2023 18:22

Ascotexgunner Dear me, did Maguire just run into the back of his own player, whilst Henderson arrived 5 minutes after Ukraine scored.... :D :D :D :D
This has to be potentially one of the most talented England teams I've seen yet they are managed by a guy who really is looking like he has no idea.

Thinking both Henderson and Rice is a bit negative v Ukraine and that maybe Rashford would have been more of a worry for their defence than Maddison.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Sep 2023 18:24

Franchise FC

According to Dion Dublin he shouldn’t have been in a position to play the pass for the goal

Um, that’s what makes Kane so good, you can’t just have a centre back mark him because he wanders and influences the game from almost anywhere

Tbf, he wouldn't need to if England's midfield moved and tried to create rather than being ultra safe and boring.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Sep 2023 18:26

Looked to me like Rice and Maddison both ignored their men to close down the man on theball who was already marked. With Maddison the just stopping, and Henderson unable to get back in, leaving two free to queue up to score.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 10 Sep 2023 06:52

Well, just about the only thing positive from that turgid display is that we can avoid defeat when only half the team turn up.

Saka, Maddison, Bellingham, Kane (one notable pass apart) were pretty anonymous
Rashford and Foden didn’t get into the game at all

Can’t really blame anyone but the individual players. Well, except for the idea that Henderson played

Maguire, sadly, remains one of our best defenders because there aren’t many around and those that are have injuries. In truth he doesn’t let the side down but it’s noticeable how pedestrian he is

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 10 Sep 2023 20:57

Franchise FC Well, just about the only thing positive from that turgid display is that we can avoid defeat when only half the team turn up.

Saka, Maddison, Bellingham, Kane (one notable pass apart) were pretty anonymous
Rashford and Foden didn’t get into the game at all

Can’t really blame anyone but the individual players. Well, except for the idea that Henderson played

Maguire, sadly, remains one of our best defenders because there aren’t many around and those that are have injuries. In truth he doesn’t let the side down but it’s noticeable how pedestrian he is

There are other good options. Tomori at AC Milan, Webster and Dunk from Brighton, Dan Burn, why have they not had a look in, they are certainly a better option than someone who hardly plays.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 Sep 2023 08:41

Franchise FC

I do agree, but then there is no point having Maddison in the team, or just a number 10 for that matter as you can effectively have 2 players wanting to play in the same areas in positions that are likely more comfortable for opposition defences as it's all in front of them.

You need penetration to break teams down. You'd certainly need the wide players to look to run in behind or Maddison (or equally another midfielder) to break the lines in midfield.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 11 Sep 2023 09:51

YorkshireRoyal99
Franchise FC

I do agree, but then there is no point having Maddison in the team, or just a number 10 for that matter as you can effectively have 2 players wanting to play in the same areas in positions that are likely more comfortable for opposition defences as it's all in front of them.

You need penetration to break teams down. You'd certainly need the wide players to look to run in behind or Maddison (or equally another midfielder) to break the lines in midfield.

Isn't the last piece that you've described exactly what Bellingham does for Real Madrid ?
And, apparently, quite successfully

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 Sep 2023 12:10

Franchise FC
YorkshireRoyal99
Franchise FC According to Dion Dublin he shouldn’t have been in a position to play the pass for the goal

Isn't the last piece that you've described exactly what Bellingham does for Real Madrid ?

Not sure, haven't seen much of Bellingham at RM much this season. If that is the case, then it's down to management if that's not happening. You'd imagine that, not matter what level you're at, you would want to play to the strengths of your best player(s).

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 11 Sep 2023 12:21

It will be nice if Scotland clinch qualification before England

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 11 Sep 2023 12:31

YorkshireRoyal99
Franchise FC
YorkshireRoyal99

Not sure, haven't seen much of Bellingham at RM much this season. If that is the case, then it's down to management if that's not happening. You'd imagine that, not matter what level you're at, you would want to play to the strengths of your best player(s).

I’m not sure i understand the bit about mismanagement.
Southgate played the entirety of the forward looking group in their natural positions and between them they failed tp produce. Kane, Saka, Maddison and Bellingham all fell way short of their current club form. Nothing to do with management tactics as far as I can see.

This feels a bit like the position with Henderson and the Ukraine goal …… escapegoating. Point the finger at Southgate rather than the underperforming players

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 Sep 2023 17:07

Franchise FC
YorkshireRoyal99
Franchise FC Isn't the last piece that you've described exactly what Bellingham does for Real Madrid ?

Southgate played the entirety of the forward looking group in their natural positions and between them they failed tp produce. Kane, Saka, Maddison and Bellingham all fell way short of their current club form. Nothing to do with management tactics as far as I can see.

This feels a bit like the position with Henderson and the Ukraine goal …… escapegoating. Point the finger at Southgate rather than the underperforming players

It's the managers job to get the best out of the players. If the players are underperforming at International level but potentially not at club level, that comes down to the manager.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Sep 2023 17:29

YorkshireRoyal99
Franchise FC
YorkshireRoyal99

It's the managers job to get the best out of the players. If the players are underperforming at International level but potentially not at club level, that comes down to the manager.

What a clever and nuanced analysis Players can never be at fault for playing shit. :roll:

Sorry, but Bellingham, Maddison and Kane all played like turds and it was on them, not Southgate.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 11 Sep 2023 17:42

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Franchise FC I’m not sure i understand the bit about mismanagement.

What a clever and nuanced analysis Players can never be at fault for playing shit. :roll:

Sorry, but Bellingham, Maddison and Kane all played like turds and it was on them, not Southgate.

Thank goodness for that
I thought it was just me

And I would’ve included Saka in that group

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Sep 2023 18:31

Franchise FC
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

Thank goodness for that
I thought it was just me

He wasn't great, but he didn't go completely missing like Bellingham and did try to take people on.

I don't think the set up helped a lot, but there's so much better they could have played.

Bellingham rolled the ball out of play behind him when he had his back to the touchline ffs.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 11 Sep 2023 18:47

Snowflake Royal
Franchise FC
Snowflake Royal What a clever and nuanced analysis Players can never be at fault for playing shit. :roll:

Thank goodness for that
I thought it was just me

He wasn't great, but he didn't go completely missing like Bellingham and did try to take people on.

I don't think the set up helped a lot, but there's so much better they could have played.

Bellingham rolled the ball out of play behind him when he had his back to the touchline ffs.

And Saka just let the ball roll under his foot and out of play .... so not much different really

179 posts