2571 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Euro 2020

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Jun 2021 08:44

Zip
BR0B0T
Zip
Yes they are and always have been. It will be harder for them now as their quarter final will be in Baku I think. They are streetwise, organised and skilful. Said this about them for a while now. I don’t understand why they are not rated.

They're a prem side you're a championship side with a few aging stars

They have nearly twice the population of you so not altogether surprising

I read somewhere that of the 16 teams still left in the competition we had 13 players in our squad who were not playing for top flight teams which was the same number of players playing outside top level football for the other 15 teams combined. That says it all really.

I genuinely had no expectations today but must say that for a relatively small country Denmark do bloody well.

Gonna depend on which league though isn't it... Championship richer and better than Danish, Hungarian, Finnish, Norweigen, Romanian etc.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 27 Jun 2021 09:14

BR0B0T
Zip
BR0B0T

I read somewhere that of the 16 teams still left in the competition we had 13 players in our squad who were not playing for top flight teams which was the same number of players playing outside top level football for the other 15 teams combined. That says it all really.

I genuinely had no expectations today but must say that for a relatively small country Denmark do bloody well.

Poland should be a sleeping giant...they have about 40 million people which is twice as much as the next European country (by population)

Turkey too.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 27 Jun 2021 09:31

Belgium v Portugal should be very interesting. Portugal have been pretty poor so far but have a knack of just doing enough to get through. I worry about the Belgian CB's. Can see them struggling with Ronaldo.
Portugal need to drop Pepe, it's painful to watch him lumbering around at the back. Well past his best.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 27 Jun 2021 10:42

Snowflake Royal
Zip
BR0B0T

Gonna depend on which league though isn't it... Championship richer and better than Danish, Hungarian, Finnish, Norweigen, Romanian etc.

Well three of those didn’t make the last 16 and many of the Danish players don’t play in Denmark.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 27 Jun 2021 10:48

St Pauli That red card was a joke.

I’m ashamed of my fellow German for that.

Unfortunately you can't just take out a player because you're 3-0 down. The ball wasn't playable, it's serious foul play and the red is justified.

Had it have been in the 20th minute you might argue it was a tactical foul. The fact it was in the 89th 15 seconds after the 3rd goal shows it for the frustrated lash out it was.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 27 Jun 2021 10:49

LWJ

Unfortunately you can't just take out a player because you're 3-0 down. The ball wasn't playable, it's serious foul play and the red is justified.

Had it have been in the 20th minute you might argue it was a tactical foul. The fact it was in the 89th 15 seconds after the 3rd goal shows it for the frustrated lash out it was.

Are you saying it was a straight red because if the intent?

I thought it was worth a yellow.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict

by LWJ » 27 Jun 2021 10:55

St Pauli
LWJ

Effectively yes, there was no intent to play the ball. The ball wasn't even there to be played.

In the context of the situation it's SFP

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 27 Jun 2021 10:58

LWJ
St Pauli
LWJ Unfortunately you can't just take out a player because you're 3-0 down. The ball wasn't playable, it's serious foul play and the red is justified.

Effectively yes, there was no intent to play the ball. The ball wasn't even there to be played.

In the context of the situation it's SFP

Fair enough, it's not my area of expertise!

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 27 Jun 2021 11:10

NathStPaul Belgium v Portugal should be very interesting. Portugal have been pretty poor so far but have a knack of just doing enough to get through. I worry about the Belgian CB's. Can see them struggling with Ronaldo.
Portugal need to drop Pepe, it's painful to watch him lumbering around at the back. Well past his best.

Got the potential to be a 4-4 thriller. So... 0-0 and penalties then.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 27 Jun 2021 11:19

LWJ

Where does it say this in the rules? It was a yellow all day long. The time in the game when the foul happened should be entirely irrelevant. In fact I would argue the opposite if we are going down that route in that at 3-0 with only a few minutes left the game was over so a yellow card was the sensible option.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Jun 2021 11:53

genome
Zip
genome Game over

Denmark have been sublime

I’ve rated them for a long time and felt we were always going to be knocked out today. I thought we would be better than that though. We were dire.

BBC punditry seems to be blaming it on being leggy and travelling a lot

More BBC “facts”

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 27 Jun 2021 12:54

Zip
LWJ

Where does it say this in the rules? It was a yellow all day long. The time in the game when the foul happened should be entirely irrelevant. In fact I would argue the opposite if we are going down that route in that at 3-0 with only a few minutes left the game was over so a yellow card was the sensible option.

All about the context of the situation though surely

I’m not a ref but the point is fairly obvious - at 0-0 (or an earlier time), the tackle is made for “footballing” purposes, that one was made with pure malice IMO

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 27 Jun 2021 12:56

NathStPaul Belgium v Portugal should be very interesting. Portugal have been pretty poor so far but have a knack of just doing enough to get through. I worry about the Belgian CB's. Can see them struggling with Ronaldo.

Portugal also need more from B.Silva and Fernandes - there’s an abundance of talent in Portugal’s attack - shouldn’t just have to rely on Ronaldo and to a lesser extent Jota

There does seem to be a feeling of “Where’s Ronaldo” every time a Portugal attacker/midfielder gets the ball, and whilst he is world class, the other players should be able to express themselves a bit more

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 27 Jun 2021 13:10

Good to be at Wembley yesterday in what was a rather disappointing 90 minutes although ET delivered. Very well run within and around the stadium. Hopefully be back again for the semi or final.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 27 Jun 2021 13:27

NathStPaul
genome That extra time was great.

Was quite an enthralling game. Not many chances but high tension. Quite ominous for everyone else when Italy can play that badly but still win.

We’ve been doing that too tbh.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 27 Jun 2021 13:36

Just put 20 euros on Portugal @ 2/1.

Draw is 21/10.

Belgium are better than Portugal man for man, but the latter are a great tournament team.

tulip
Hob Nob Addict

by tulip » 27 Jun 2021 15:59

The Dutch arrive and en route to the stadium in Budapest.
https://www.nu.nl/287870/video/nederlan ... apest.html
An orange wave, I love it.

This is what was missing from the game last night just the mass of visiting fans at the stadium. It felt flat.
Last edited by tulip on 27 Jun 2021 16:00, edited 1 time in total.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict

by LWJ » 27 Jun 2021 16:00

Zip
LWJ

Where does it say in the laws that you can kick an opponent with no intention to play the ball?

I would argue the opposite if we are going down that route in that at 3-0 with only a few minutes left the game was over so a yellow card was the sensible option.[/

That would be the opposite of sensible. The game would turn into a kicking each other contest.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 27 Jun 2021 16:57

LWJ
Zip
LWJ Unfortunately you can't just take out a player because you're 3-0 down. The ball wasn't playable, it's serious foul play and the red is justified.

Where does it say in the laws that you can kick an opponent with no intention to play the ball?

I would argue the opposite if we are going down that route in that at 3-0 with only a few minutes left the game was over so a yellow card was the sensible option.[/

That would be the opposite of sensible. The game would turn into a kicking each other contest.

If that’s a red card then dozens of players should have been sent off in this tournament already.

fartdad
Hob Nob Regular

by fartdad » 27 Jun 2021 17:34

Nederland always have nice kits

2571 posts