Euro 2028 host bidding

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Euro 2028 host bidding

by Sanguine » 20 Oct 2023 08:27

Sutekh
Sanguine
WestYorksRoyal He will be finish after this tournament unless we win, in which case he'll have a crack at 2026 too. That would be a decade - I can't see him staying longer.

Yep, this.

Frankly, if I was the second most successful manager in English football history and had to put up with the bullshit about my ability to do the job after every single match, even ones where we win, or where we beat Italy (who in some quarters have become 'shit' now that we have bested them twice in a row), I'd have probably quit a long time ago.

Makes you think what England could have done to Italy in that Euros final had he not reverted to type and played the "odds" instead.

Thank god we have a manager who is respected, that players want to play for, and that has a 'type' that wins more matches than pretty much any manager in our history, as well as scoring more goals.

Entitlement is an awful look.

We've just beaten Italy, convincingly, playing with two holding midfielders, Kalvin Phillips and Declan Rice. In the Euros we drew with Italy playing with two holding midfielders, Kalvin Phillips and Declan Rice. That's football. If anything you could argue that with 3 centre-backs and more advanced full-backs, we even played a less conservative system in that final.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 20 Oct 2023 09:00

Sutekh
Sanguine
WestYorksRoyal He will be finish after this tournament unless we win, in which case he'll have a crack at 2026 too. That would be a decade - I can't see him staying longer.

Yep, this.

Frankly, if I was the second most successful manager in English football history and had to put up with the bullshit about my ability to do the job after every single match, even ones where we win, or where we beat Italy (who in some quarters have become 'shit' now that we have bested them twice in a row), I'd have probably quit a long time ago.

Makes you think what England could have done to Italy in that Euros final had he not reverted to type and played the "odds" instead.

Makes you think, would Italy have even got as far as the final in 2021 if they had the team they put out the other night?

Only 3 players from the starting XI in 2021 started the other night. Whereas England had 8, which included the double midfield pairing Sangers mentioned.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Oct 2023 12:22

Hendo
Sutekh
Sanguine
Yep, this.

Makes you think, would Italy have even got as far as the final in 2021 if they had the team they put out the other night?

Only 3 players from the starting XI in 2021 started the other night. Whereas England had 8, which included the double midfield pairing Sangers mentioned.

I'm not Southgate's biggest fan, although I do find it odd sometimes where people think that we "should" have won something, just because we are a good team.

I think a lot of criticism towards Southgate would have been quashed if we did have a better record against the perceived "stronger" nations. I.e. If we'd have beaten Croatia in 2018 and France last year. Even if we didn't win it, it would have silenced those critics.

Although if you look at the last 3 tournaments, we have been one of the best sides, not the best side. For me, France were clear favourites and across the tournament were the best team in 2018, Italy were the best side in 2020 and displayed that throughout the tournament and Argentina were also the strongest side last year as well, hence why they all won it.

I don't think we have necessarily underachieved, although there is still a feeling we could have done more. I don't think I have ever viewed us as being the best team at any tournament, and the time when we were one of the best sides (Euro 2020), we were beaten by the best side albeit on penalties.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 20 Oct 2023 12:35

Thing is, we beat Germany. We drew with Italy. We lost narrowly to France, including a Kane penalty miss. We've just beaten Italy. Of course, everyone we've beaten immediately becomes 'shit'. Germany were shit. Italy are shit now, that's why we beat them. If we'd beaten Croatia in the World Cup semi, they would have been 'only Croatia, they are shit'.

It's monotonous crap - not from you - just the general narrative of entitlement.

And the statistical point I've made before remains valid. Southgate has won matches as England manager at a better rate than anyone but Capello. So if we'd like to see some wins over the 'big' sides, are we saying that win ratio should be even higher? Would a different manager get us those sought after victories? And would he lose games to smaller teams that Southgate doesn't?

We are closer to winning a major tournament than we have been in a generation, and that's to Southgate's credit.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 20 Oct 2023 13:11

Sanguine Thing is, we beat Germany. We drew with Italy. We lost narrowly to France, including a Kane penalty miss. We've just beaten Italy. Of course, everyone we've beaten immediately becomes 'shit'. Germany were shit. Italy are shit now, that's why we beat them. If we'd beaten Croatia in the World Cup semi, they would have been 'only Croatia, they are shit'.

It's monotonous crap - not from you - just the general narrative of entitlement.

And the statistical point I've made before remains valid. Southgate has won matches as England manager at a better rate than anyone but Capello. So if we'd like to see some wins over the 'big' sides, are we saying that win ratio should be even higher? Would a different manager get us those sought after victories? And would he lose games to smaller teams that Southgate doesn't?

We are closer to winning a major tournament than we have been in a generation, and that's to Southgate's credit.

I would argue more than one generation

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 20 Oct 2023 14:00

Sanguine Thing is, we beat Germany. We drew with Italy. We lost narrowly to France, including a Kane penalty miss. We've just beaten Italy. Of course, everyone we've beaten immediately becomes 'shit'. Germany were shit. Italy are shit now, that's why we beat them. If we'd beaten Croatia in the World Cup semi, they would have been 'only Croatia, they are shit'.

Just an update-Croatia have gone downhill badly in a fairly short time so might have over-achieved back then.

I agree with your general point about Southgate-he has got the best out of what he has had.
What we tend to do in this country is to over-rate players and think of them as world class and a golden generation when they are not.

We have always produced good players but very few really top class and even when we won the world cup (with home advantage which is very important to our players) we probably only had 2 world class players in Bobby Moore and Bobby Charlton.

The same goes for now-we have a top goal scorer and a midfielder of great potential but the rest are just good players plus Maguire :wink:

I suspect we will fall short in Germany and in the world cup because we are not at home so the best chance looks to be the Euros of 2028 although Kane might be past it by then.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Oct 2023 14:07

Yeah there is that narrative. I think you have to take it tournament by tournament, as you can see by Italy, they were the outstanding team throughout the 2020 Euro's but haven't been the same since, but that doesn't mean that they weren't the best side during that tournament.

I can understand the comments about Germany, the last few years are as bad as they have been so maybe there was an expectation that we should have beaten them, but we still did.

I do agree, there is the narrative that we only beat the sides we should beat, but then that's who the public/media perceive we should beat and it does go to the extreme. It goes so far that a couple of England-haters I know say that the teams we beat obviously aren't that good, hence why England beat them, which is so bizarre.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Oct 2023 15:01

Absolutely but it's just so frustrating when you see all the hard work and plus points that he gains from guiding the team to various finals and semis being undone by what is seen by many as cr@p game management and poor choices.

France will be clear favourites for 2024 but even they're a bit of a one man team and have defensive weaknesses so I don't think England should be afraid of any one. Looking forward to see which group they get put in, hopefully they'll be in the top seeds and so able to avoid France, Netherlands, bogey Portugal and the "banana skin" that will be Germany.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 20 Oct 2023 15:34

Maybe no such work is being 'undone' at all, and what you see is just the ebb and flow of football. You can only really judge a manager over the long-term - picking individual games as evidence of x or y is nonsensical. It's not like we blew up in the Euros final and lost 5-0, or did anything particularly wrong against Croatia in the World Cup semi. We don't exist in a bubble - do this and that and we'll win. Other teams get a say too.

I tend to agree we should be one of the favourites next year, probably up there with France.

I wouldn't fancy us to beat Spain though. I never fancy Spain to lose to anyone, its always a surprise to me when they don't win a tournament.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 20 Oct 2023 16:22

Sanguine Maybe no such work is being 'undone' at all, and what you see is just the ebb and flow of football. You can only really judge a manager over the long-term - picking individual games as evidence of x or y is nonsensical. It's not like we blew up in the Euros final and lost 5-0, or did anything particularly wrong against Croatia in the World Cup semi. We don't exist in a bubble - do this and that and we'll win. Other teams get a say too.

I tend to agree we should be one of the favourites next year, probably up there with France.

I wouldn't fancy us to beat Spain though. I never fancy Spain to lose to anyone, its always a surprise to me when they don't win a tournament.

The voice of reason (Sangers, that is)
And just because we'll be one of the favourites doesn't mean we're nailed on for anything

As for the Croatia game, Kane scores from the rebound when only a yard out, VAR overrules the offside flag because he was onside, England go 2-0 up and then ....... who knows
Maybe, according to the anti-Southg8ers, he used a Vulcan mind meld to prevent Kane from scoring

Similarly, Kane scores the second penalty against France .... and we could have been losing the final to Argentina :wink:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Oct 2023 09:08

Franchise FC
Sanguine Maybe no such work is being 'undone' at all, and what you see is just the ebb and flow of football. You can only really judge a manager over the long-term - picking individual games as evidence of x or y is nonsensical. It's not like we blew up in the Euros final and lost 5-0, or did anything particularly wrong against Croatia in the World Cup semi. We don't exist in a bubble - do this and that and we'll win. Other teams get a say too.

And just because we'll be one of the favourites doesn't mean we're nailed on for anything

As for the Croatia game, Kane scores from the rebound when only a yard out, VAR overrules the offside flag because he was onside, England go 2-0 up and then ....... who knows
Maybe, according to the anti-Southg8ers, he used a Vulcan mind meld to prevent Kane from scoring

Similarly, Kane scores the second penalty against France .... and we could have been losing the final to Argentina :wink:

Losing?

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 21 Oct 2023 09:38

Sutekh
Franchise FC

Losing?

I’m not entitled enough to think we were nailed on to win :wink: