Hob Nob Super-Addict

Is there a better front 6 in world football

by Brogue » 01 May 2024 14:50

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Is there a better front 6 in world football

by South Coast Royal » 02 May 2024 10:06

Brogue

A shame that football is played by 11 and not 6.
With 3 of the forward midfielders very left-footed maybe there could be a problem with balance but it is a very good 6.

Where does our back 5 come in world ratings?
Nowhere near the top IMHO.

BTW France and Portugal will have a decent front 6.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 02 May 2024 12:32

South Coast Royal
Where does our back 5 come in world ratings?

Probably not even Top 20.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 02 May 2024 14:54

We are in real trouble goalkeeping-wise.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 May 2024 19:04

Brogue

Trouble is most other half decent top international sides have at least a half decent back 5 and always seem to stifle anything the "front 6" can think up. More than likely another tournament defeat on penalties on the way.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 May 2024 13:57

Trouble with that Front 6 is, of course, that Palmer will likely only get about 5 minutes in a couple of games (as sub for one of the other 5) so we won't get to see how good a line up it really could be.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 04 May 2024 13:52

I’d love us to win a trophy. But I am very nervous about talking our chances up. I have lived through too many disappointments.

Yes, they are all exciting players.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 May 2024 08:40

I suspect we'll find out there are several in the summer.

How many of those 6 do people expect to actually have a good tournament? Two? Three?

BRO_BOT
Hob Nob Regular

by BRO_BOT » 06 May 2024 13:43

Snowflake Royal I suspect we'll find out there are several in the summer.

How many of those 6 do people expect to actually have a good tournament? Two? Three?

Apart from Kane and Rice, there are backups that could do as good a job (Grealish, Mainoo, Bowen)

Rice would probably get my PotS vote (fighting it out with Rhodri and MacAllister)

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 08 May 2024 11:57

BRO_BOT

Apart from Kane and Rice, there are backups that could do as good a job (Grealish, Mainoo, Bowen)

Rice would probably get my PotS vote (fighting it out with Rhodri and MacAllister)

Mainoo elevated already way above his current capability IMHO-maybe in a couple of years time.

He has looked like a little boy last lately and Wharton from Palace looked streets ahead of him the other night but doesn't get a mention because.......he is at Palace and not at a "name" club..

BRO_BOT
Hob Nob Regular

by BRO_BOT » 08 May 2024 14:43

South Coast Royal
BRO_BOT

Mainoo elevated already way above his current capability IMHO-maybe in a couple of years time.

He has looked like a little boy last lately and Wharton from Palace looked streets ahead of him the other night but doesn't get a mention because.......he is at Palace and not at a "name" club..

He's a 19-year-old kid trying to operate in a dysfunctional midfield...it's on Man Utd that it's come to this.

It's usually left to one player to cover the entire midfield in transition. It was Erikson against Palace (yeah exactly)

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 08 May 2024 14:52

BRO_BOT
South Coast Royal
BRO_BOT

He's a 19-year-old kid trying to operate in a dysfunctional midfield...it's on Man Utd that it's come to this.

It's usually left to one player to cover the entire midfield in transition. It was Erikson against Palace (yeah exactly)

No argument that he may well progress and warrant a full England call up for the next World Cup but, apart from giving him experience as being part of the squad (do they actually do that anymore?), I don't see him as being good enough yet.

Fast tracking young players hasn't always worked (Sancho and Hudson -Odoi come to mind) but can with an exceptional talent such as Bellingham whose progress has been something else.

I do think that Wharton at Palace has been one of the signings of the season going a bit under the radar because of how well Eze and Olise have done.

12 posts   •   Page 1 of 1