Would you pay extra to stand at matches?

Would you pay extra to stand at matches?

No, I'd rather sit
30%
No, I'd rather stand but I won't pay extra to
43%
Yes, I'd be happy to pay a little extra so I could stand
27%

Total votes: 90
Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 14 Mar 2007 16:45

If there's enough demand for it and they can make a profit from it then any club would go for it - that's football economics.

All that needs to happen is the legislation & FLA attitude to change, and that's starting to happen.

Symposium

by Symposium » 14 Mar 2007 16:47

Stranded At worse I would expect to pay the same but certainly no more. After all you are, in essence, getting less for your money.

No, as you'd be taking up more space, you'd be getting more for your money...

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 14 Mar 2007 16:48

Symposium
Stranded At worse I would expect to pay the same but certainly no more. After all you are, in essence, getting less for your money.

No, as you'd be taking up more space, you'd be getting more for your money...

... and it could be argued that you'de be watching in a way which you find preferable, in a better atmosphere.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 14 Mar 2007 17:18

An interesting article on the BBC....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A20759600

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 14 Mar 2007 17:38

The square heads have proved it can work and it is safe. I'd love to see standing come back!

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 14 Mar 2007 17:47

Watching the games on TV last week it was noticable that nearly all away fans were standing, whether they all wanted to is another story entirely.

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 14 Mar 2007 18:03

The idea that more space is needed for safe standing than is needed for sitting is a complete nonsense. It's a falsehood created by those who are determined to see football ruined. Don't believe it, it's simply not true.

frimleygreen_shotspur
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: between the old wheatsheaf and the rose and thistle

by frimleygreen_shotspur » 14 Mar 2007 18:05

shadesrwrf The idea that more space is needed for safe standing than is needed for sitting is a complete nonsense. It's a falsehood created by those who are determined to see football ruined. Don't believe it, it's simply not true.

at aldershot you have to pay extra to sit down:)

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 14 Mar 2007 18:13

Pay extra to stand? ALOL!

Having stood at many matches years ago I wouldn't stand if you paid me let alone the other way round!

Farnborough Royal

by Farnborough Royal » 14 Mar 2007 18:21

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 14 Mar 2007 18:48

Given how shallow the seats were at Arsenal, it did cross my mind that they might have been made that way to make conversion to terracing easier. Or it could just be that Arsenal couldn't give a toss about the fans who sit in what they regard as cheap seats.

I'd like to know who the FLA actually are, any why they in particular are given the ultimate sanction to decide what is and what isn't safe at football grounds. some of their proclamations, such as the one about fans cascading over seats, the one mentioned about standing places taking up more room than seats, and the latest one about the German system being too expensive for England, are just nonsense.

It really makes you wonder why they are so resolutely opposed to even discussing the issue.

Diddyroyal

by Diddyroyal » 14 Mar 2007 18:52

No thanks!

Went to watch Torquay last week and went in the standing section, never again please! was dying to sit down after about twenty minutes when the novelty wore off

Y21
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Y21 » 14 Mar 2007 21:17

In our particular case, standing would mean an area of the ground that probably wouldn't be used by the egg chasers...and as they are a means of revenune for the club, they are unlikely to jeopardise that because a few fans wish to stand during a game.

Starfish
Hob Nob Regular

by Starfish » 15 Mar 2007 12:29

I went to see FCN against Frankfurt here last week and stood for the first time in the Frankenstadion. Much cheaper and for a very good reason. The atmosphere was great but I was longing to have a sit down by game´s end. Maybe I´m getting old.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 15 Mar 2007 12:33

Diddyroyal No thanks!

Went to watch Torquay last week and went in the standing section, never again please! was dying to sit down after about twenty minutes when the novelty wore off

You probably always liked sitting down but were too ashamed to admit it.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 15 Mar 2007 13:28

I know its not cool or acceptable for a 'real fan' to say it but sitting down aint that bad. All this nonesense about lack of atmosphere. Elm Park often had a lack of atmosphere and yes the south bank roar was loud, but people have very short memories. I really don't think introducing safe standing will benefit anyone. What difference is there between people moaning about not being able to stand like the "good old days" and Villa fans still thinking they are a top 4 club? That was the past, this is future. It may not be universally popular, but I can't see standing coming back...especially in Liverpool.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 15 Mar 2007 13:37

Y21 In our particular case, standing would mean an area of the ground that probably wouldn't be used by the egg chasers...and as they are a means of revenune for the club, they are unlikely to jeopardise that because a few fans wish to stand during a game.

2 things:

1. Why wouldn't they use it? I've stood at Newcastle Falcons ground in the last couple of years and there are other RU Premiership grounds that have standing.

2. When (apart from Paddy's Day) do Irish ever fill the Madejski?

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict

by T.R.O.L.I. » 15 Mar 2007 13:38

Kitsondinho I know its not cool or acceptable for a 'real fan' to say it but sitting down aint that bad. All this nonesense about lack of atmosphere.

I think the main crux of the original arguement is that people are getting fed up with being told to sit down by overzealous stewards during a prolonged period of excitement. If the FLA (or whoever it is) concentrated on more important issues, there wouldn't be this ongoing circular discussion.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 15 Mar 2007 13:43

T.R.O.L.I.
Kitsondinho I know its not cool or acceptable for a 'real fan' to say it but sitting down aint that bad. All this nonesense about lack of atmosphere.

I think the main crux of the original arguement is that people are getting fed up with being told to sit down by overzealous stewards during a prolonged period of excitement. If the FLA (or whoever it is) concentrated on more important issues, there wouldn't be this ongoing circular discussion.

I agree with you, but there is also this undertone to their argument that Sky have ruined football and sold its soul. Football sold its soul the day it went professional and I'm glad it did. The circus that goes with it now is all part of the fun!
Last edited by Kitsondinho on 15 Mar 2007 15:56, edited 1 time in total.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict

by T.R.O.L.I. » 15 Mar 2007 13:49

Apart from stupid kick off times :wink: