World Cup betting

175 posts
LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

rgies are a good bet

by LUX » 26 May 2010 21:17

Tony Le Mesmer I know a thoroughly recommendable local firm called Marlin Racing who price the win market thus.

Spain 4
Brazil 4
EngLOLand 13/2
Argies 8
Holland 12
Wops 12
Krauts 12
Frogs 16
Portugal 28
33 bar

Spot on IMHO

cannot disagree, but that looks amazingly very similar to Paddy Power.

I do think the Argies are a good bet (and accept all the baggage around them.)

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

Re: World Cup betting

by Compo's Hat » 10 Jun 2010 04:30

Biggest World Cup bet so far - Hills have taken £55,000 each-way on France at 20/1 from telephone client who can make profit of £1,650,000!

Magnus

by Magnus » 10 Jun 2010 13:36

Shamelessly stolen from the Betfair forum.

OUTRIGHT I think Spain will win the World Cup. Hardly original, but they have the best team, the best squad, back ups for every position and stars in every position. In Villa and Torres they have plenty of goals, they have the best three playmakers in Iniesta, Fabregas and Xavi, and loads of wide talent in Pedro, Navas, Silva and Mata. They have the best keeper in the World in nets, with two more of the top 6 on the bench, and a settled defence. One question against them is whether they will lack the steel of Senna in the middle, but they will have the ball so much they probably wont need to win it back much.

I think the second best side is Argentina, but they are due to meet in the Semi finals all being well, and I can see the Spanish getting the better of them. Argentina will be fluent, and score a lot of goals. They were the best side in the tournament 4 years ago, until they were surprisingly knocked out by the home side. I think they look a better side this year, with Messi and Di Maria either side of Higuain, I can see them doing very well. People question the manager, but they have done well when it has counted, with a top win in Montevideo to seal the qualification against Uruguay, and a 1-0 win in Germany in a friendly earlier this year also shows they can defend when they need to. I’m already on the Argies at 9/1, but by backing them as a Plan B at 8.2, you are at least assured one team in the final if all goes well and Spain and Argentina meet in the semis.

I think Brazil might not do as well as expected this time round. They don’t look that fluent to me, and Im not sure how much depth they have either. They might well win again, but they don’t look as strong to me as in recent years. One team always gets an easy run to the latter stages, and this time round I can see that team being France. They could get South Korea and then England on the way to the semi finals, and I think they are worth a small investment at 23.0. If they get on a roll they could well be a tough match for Brazil in the semi finals.

Recommended bets
Spain 4 pts @ 5.1
Argentina 2 pts @ 8.2
France 1pt @ 23.0

TOP GOALSCORER Villa is the obvious choice, and Spain could well score loads, but Villa is too short for me, and I have always thought Argentina look like a team that is full of goals. If, as seems likely, Maradona goes with a 4-3-3 employing Higuain up top with Di Maria and Messi out wide, then Higuain will look huge at 26.0. Im also on at 25/1 ew with Will Hill. The value is already gone on Messi (now 12.0) but I have backed the up and coming Benfica youngster Di Maria, rumoured to be signing for Real Madrid in a £40m move this week, at 1000.0. and 150 for top 4. I have also had small investments in a couple of Spain’s wide men, in Navas at 920 average and 120 top 4 and Silva at 700 average and 100 top 4.

Recommended bets
2pts Higuain @ 26
.5 pts Di Maria @ 1000, .5pts top 4 @ 150
.5 pts Navas @ 920, .5pts top 4 @ 120
.5pts Silva @ 700, .5pts top 4 @ 100

OTHER BETS
Final Referee – Frank de Bleekere 1pt @ 7.2
Final Four lay England @ 2.46
Nominate Finalists France and Spain @ 65
England Team Top Goalscorer Aaron Lennon @ 38

GROUP A
France
Mexico
South Africa
Uruguay

At first sight, this looks like mission impossible for the hosts - the finalists from 2006, a quality and slick outfit from Central America in Mexico, and a decent side from South America in Uruguay. But South Africa have a lot of things going for them - they are very hard to beat now under Carlos Alberto Perreira, and they have home advantage, with thousands of screaming fans blowing horns behind them. They are unbeaten in 15 matches, and although none of those games have been against top quality opposition, they are well organised and will have their confidence boosted. France’s form has been dreadful, although I would be wary of laying them as I can see them surprising people and actually doing OK. Although both Mexico and Uruguay will have their supporters, and they both have their star players, neither have a reputation for grinding out results when it really matters, and it is quite possible either or both of these will bottle it against a hard working home side so I can see the South Africans getting through the group.

Recommended bet
2pt - South Africa to qualify @ 2.9

GROUP B
Argentina
Nigeria
Greece
South Korea

Argentina looked nailed on to win group B, but are a prohibitive 1/2 to do so. With their striking power, I can see them going a long way in the tournament and they could get a few goals to get them going in the group stages. So, in many ways we are interested in who will progress with them, and my money is on South Korea. Nigeria have flattered to deceive for a long time, and although they should get plenty of support as Africa’s most populous nation, and they have plenty of decent players, they haven’t really gelled as a team for a long time. Greece, as a solid team with a decent goalscorer in Gekas, have many of the ingredients for success, but look like quite a slow side, and I wonder whether that could be their achillles heel in a group full of pace. South Korea looked like a decent side against Spain recently, and if they can finish some of the many chances they are bound to create, they could trouble all the sides in this group, and go further than many will expect.

Recommended bet
1pt – straight forecast Argentina/South Korea @ 6

GROUP C
England
Slovenia
USA
Algeria

Fabio Capello would never display any sort of disrespect for any opponent, but secretly he must have been delighted with the group they got, with practically the easiest sides from the Africa/South America pot AND the rest of Europe pot. England should qualify, and should win the group, although they will inevitably make harder work of it than they need to. But England are ludicrously short to win the group and to qualify, so the best bets lie elsewhere in Group C. USA are second favourites from the group, and look like a decent side. They did well in the Confederations Cup, giving Brazil a shock in the final, and they wont be intimidated by anyone. Algeria look like a very skilful side, and in Ziani, Belhadj and Bougherra have players with the ability to set the tournament alight. You have to question the temperament of Algeria though, and I think they are rightly outsiders. I think the surprise side in group C could be Slovenia. They are a tight knit outfit with a lot of ability, and I can see them pippin the Americans for second place in the group. I think their striker Novakovic, could be one of the stars of the tournament.

Recommended bet
1pt – Slovenia to qualify @ 3.1

GROUP D
Germany
Serbia
Ghana
Australia

For me, this is the most even of the groups and any one of three teams could win the group. I think Australia are rightly the outsiders, as they don’t seem to have replaced Viduka, and lack any real stars once Cahill is quietened. Germany are seen as favourites, but they don’t seem to be as well organised or have as many winners as usual. Yes, we said that 4 years ago, but they were at home then, and radically overperformed. This year they will face a tough challenge to get anywhere near as far, and I don’t think they should be odds on to win this group. Serbia have loads of talent all over the pitch and could do anything on their day, and Ghana, despite the loss of Essien, will be a very good side as well. Germany may well get through the group stages, but I think a lay of them to win the group is the way forward here.

Recommended bet
1pt – lay Germany to win the group @ 1.95

GROUP E
Holland
Denmark
Cameroon
Japan

Holland, with or without Robben, should have easily enough to get through this group, and could go a long way in the tournament. Their issue is, like England, they have a horrible record in penalty shootouts, and their defence may not stand up against the top sides in the world in the later stages, but I expect to shine in the first half of the World Cup. Their group doesn’t look the hardest either, as Denmark are filled with not-quite-top-level and aging players, Cameroon are in one of their less mighty guises, and Japan don’t look like world beaters either. Holland are short to win the group at 1.6, so the bet for me is to combine them with Cameroon in a forecast. Cameroon are pacy, strong, and under Paul Le Guen, well organised to boot. They have enough Premier League stars to do well, and If they can get Webo or Efoulou to bring the best out of Etoo they can thrive.

Recommended bet
1pt – straight forecast Holland/Cameroon @ 3.7

GROUP F
Italy
Paraguay
New Zealand
Slovakia

Italy should go through, and New Zealand should go out, but for me the crunch game in this group is Paraguay against Slovakia, and I think Slovakia will come out on top. Paraguay are a decent side, have plenty of Wworld Cup experience and some top players in Santa Cruz, Valdez and Cardozo, but they have flopped too many times in the past for me to have any confidence. Slovakia got here by rights, finishing top of a group that contained Czech Republic, Poland, Slovenia and Northern Ireland, they keep the ball really well and in Hamsik, Vittek and Sestak Slovakia have plenty of playmaking and attacking talent. Skrtel is probably their best known player, but I think by the end of the tournament they could have a few more playing in the top leagues.

Recommended bet
1pt – Slovakia to qualify @ 2.3

GROUP G
Brazil
Portugal
Ivory Coast
North Korea

Another 3 horse race, or a supposedly 2 horse race but I think Ivory Coast can surprise a few by getting out of the group. In my eyes we can rule out North Korea immediately, and Brazil and Portugal look very strong, but I can see weaknesses. Brazil don’t appear to have the out and out talent of previous years, and I can see them getting beaten at some stage, and Portugal have looked very poor so many times recently. They only just got past Bosnia in a play off, lost to some very ordinary teams in their group and could only draw 0-0 with Cape Verde Islands (everybody on the Island is very disappointed) last time out. Yes they have Ronaldo and Nani, but that’s about it, and for me they look a very ordinary team indeed. Ivory Coast will miss Drogba big style, but they still got a strong enough team to get into the knockout stages.

Recommended bet
1pt – Dual Forecast Brazil/Ivory Coast @ 2.7

GROUP H
Spain
Switzerland
Honduras
Chile

Spain, Spain, Spain. Switzerland are a very decent side, limited but organised, and Chile look very talented, but I cannot see how Spain can be stopped from winning this group. Honduras look like a poor side for me, and will almost definitely finish bottom. It is between Chile and Switerland for second place, and I take Chile. They may not beat Switzerland, but I think Spain will beat the lumbering Switzerland by more than they will beat Chile, so I can see Chile going through on goal difference.

Recommended bets
2pts Honduras to finish bottom @ 1.59,
1pt straight forecast Spain/Chile @ 2.3

Magnus

by Magnus » 10 Jun 2010 13:39

Compo's Hat Biggest World Cup bet so far - Hills have taken £55,000 each-way on France at 20/1 from telephone client who can make profit of £1,650,000!

Can't be right - they're 20/1 to win it outright.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 10 Jun 2010 14:43

Brazil/Holland for me. That Dutch front 4 of Kuyt Snipes Robben

RVP

Van der Vart to come in for Robben. The back 4 looks average and the keeper aint great, but then they had the best defensive record in qualifying.

Serbia/Portugal outside bet. Dunno what's up with Portugal cause on paper they have an awsome side, even in defence. Serbia may have the best back 4 their. Watch out for their left back Kolarov who is expected to go Real in the summer.

Suarez from Uruguay worth an each way on top scorer, been amazing for Ajax this season.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 10 Jun 2010 17:35

I lol'd through that Betfair thing, i disagreed with just about everything. Tipsters do the same every tourney. They look at squads on paper and make an opinion on that alone. It as if its Chamionship Manager. It hardly ever works out like that.

1. Youd have to be mad to back the Argies with Maradona in charge. He had the same players at his disposal for qualifying & looked what happened? The bloke will do anything to get them beat. Hes already binned his long standing captain and just about the most underatted player in world football. The bloke is a complete loon.
2. Spain and Holland always have a great squad & more often than not beat themselves. Spain though admittedly have only lost 1 game since 2006. That is pretty amazing.

Germany seems to be always written off. I think its 8 semi final appearances in 11 attempts inc the Euros? Yet they are 16/1. Has to be the value bet. Id also rather be on Brazil at 5s than Spain at 4s. A far safer bet.

As a real long shot, Mexico have some excellent young players who won the U17 world Champs 5
years ago and are in the weak half of the draw.

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 10 Jun 2010 17:50

Thinking of getting my old man to throw £15 on an accumulator tomorrow morning for the group winners..

A-France(Not Sure)
B-Argentina
C-England
D-Germany (Not sure)
E-Holland
F-Italy
G-Brazil
H-Spain

thoughts?

NR_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by NR_Royal » 10 Jun 2010 18:01

leww_rfc Thinking of getting my old man to throw £15 on an accumulator tomorrow morning for the group winners..

A-France(Not Sure)
B-Argentina
C-England
D-Germany (Not sure)
E-Holland
F-Italy
G-Brazil
H-Spain

thoughts?

I've done exactly that with £10 at 32.67.

I think France will oxf*rd me over.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 10 Jun 2010 18:06

Cheeky bet on Serbia.

PlasticRoyale
Hob Nob Regular

by PlasticRoyale » 10 Jun 2010 18:13

Tony Le Mesmer I lol'd through that Betfair thing, i disagreed with just about everything. Tipsters do the same every tourney. They look at squads on paper and make an opinion on that alone. It as if its Chamionship Manager. It hardly ever works out like that.

1. Youd have to be mad to back the Argies with Maradona in charge. He had the same players at his disposal for qualifying & looked what happened? The bloke will do anything to get them beat. Hes already binned his long standing captain and just about the most underatted player in world football. The bloke is a complete loon.
2. Spain and Holland always have a great squad & more often than not beat themselves. Spain though admittedly have only lost 1 game since 2006. That is pretty amazing.

Germany seems to be always written off. I think its 8 semi final appearances in 11 attempts inc the Euros? Yet they are 16/1. Has to be the value bet. Id also rather be on Brazil at 5s than Spain at 4s. A far safer bet.

As a real long shot, Mexico have some excellent young players who won the U17 world Champs 5

same as + zero quantitive data to provide some prices/odds

It's all 'i think' punditry

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 10 Jun 2010 18:26

NR_Royal
leww_rfc Thinking of getting my old man to throw £15 on an accumulator tomorrow morning for the group winners..

A-France(Not Sure)
B-Argentina
C-England
D-Germany (Not sure)
E-Holland
F-Italy
G-Brazil
H-Spain

thoughts?

I've done exactly that with £10 at 32.67.

I think France will oxf*rd me over.

Done now anyway argh, hope to God the top teams storm their groups (respectively :wink: )

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 10 Jun 2010 19:40

A-France(Not Sure)
B-Argentina
C-England
D-Germany (Not sure)
E-Holland
F-Italy
G-Brazil
H-Spain

thoughts?

I think an 8 way accumulator is pointless tbh. You won't win.

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 10 Jun 2010 19:41

Probably won't win no :(
Given it a go though!!

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 10 Jun 2010 19:44

Tony Le Mesmer I lol'd through that Betfair thing, i disagreed with just about everything. Tipsters do the same every tourney. They look at squads on paper and make an opinion on that alone. It as if its Chamionship Manager. It hardly ever works out like that.

I thought it was written by Captian Predictable tbh. Nothing of interest in there at all.

Agree about Germany in the sense that they're so strong when it comes to tournament football. People are naive to dismiss them as much as they have done.

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 11 Jun 2010 15:28

Top goalscorer, Clint Dempsey @ 475/1 on the Tote. Is this a sensible bet?

Magnus

by Magnus » 11 Jun 2010 15:43

Negative_Jeff Top goalscorer, Clint Dempsey @ 475/1 on the Tote. Is this a sensible bet?

Not since he's almost double that on Betfair, no.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 11 Jun 2010 16:16

A-France(Not Sure)
B-Argentina
C-England
D-Germany (Not sure)
E-Holland
F-Italy
G-Brazil
H-Spain

thoughts?

I've stuck a fiver on this too. Also put £5 on Van Persie being top goal scorer, £5 on Rooney being top goal scorer, and £5 on the England game tomorrow being a draw at half-time and England to be winning at full-time.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 11 Jun 2010 18:28

Was going to back VP at 25/1 but price now 12/1 on betfair. :|

ScottishRoyal

by ScottishRoyal » 11 Jun 2010 19:24

Surprised some mention Argentina, they only just qualified. And though good teams often come good at the Finals, Maradona's picks ensure that the don't have enough quality to make that dramatic upturn in form required.

One example of many good players he left at home is European Cup and Italian domestic double winning Inter right back Zanetti. Who does Maradona take instead? Well, no right back, apparently you don't need those so he's been using Championship left midfielder Jonas Guttierez instead. Maybe he's still on drugs?

Anyway, i'd back Spain to win with Holland being my dark horse. They've been brilliant in qualifying and hae any easy group. They play well as a side and each players role is clearly defined, there's no can X play with Y debate. To make the final they'd need to beat Brazil in the quarters and possibly England though.

ScottishRoyal

by ScottishRoyal » 11 Jun 2010 19:26

southbank1871

A-France(Not Sure)
B-Argentina
C-England
D-Germany (Not sure)
E-Holland
F-Italy
G-Brazil
H-Spain

thoughts?

I've stuck a fiver on this too. Also put £5 on Van Persie being top goal scorer, £5 on Rooney being top goal scorer, and £5 on the England game tomorrow being a draw at half-time and England to be winning at full-time.

I placed a tenner on those choices on Ladbrokes at 33/1. I'm pretty happy with the choices though at least one favourite messes up and i'm sure France wil screw me over, should've gone for Uruguay instead.

175 posts